grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

6 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i finally saw the trailer a couple weeks ago before Eternals i had been avoiding it previously. it looks... ok. the visuals were lacking tbh. i know this basically only got made because lana probably can't get a single other thing greenlit on her flop streak right now but i hope she's got something interesting up her sleeve at least.

The Wachowskis have been regularly employed by Warners and others since the beginnings of their career -- the studio and the industry at-large clearly understand what brilliant artists they are despite not always "making money" at the box office.  (Anyone remember that they also wrote a "Plastic Man" script for Warners in the 90s that never got made?)

But yes, Warners might have bankrolled their last couple of potential blockbusters merely as olive branches as they kept trying to sign them up to another MATRIX.  They have an over 25-year-long relationship with Warner Bros., so someone likes them there...

28 minutes ago, Macleod said:

But yes, Warners might have bankrolled their last couple of potential blockbusters merely as olive branches as they kept trying to sign them up to another MATRIX.  They have an over 25-year-long relationship with Warner Bros., so someone likes them there...

From memory Cloud Atlas was an international effort that included the Wachowskis, Tom Hanks, German goverment/europeen union "goverment" money and very little if any of Warners themselve, Warner distributed some market (theatrical-home videos), but it was a German movie, with a giant list of distributor and financier.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

From memory Cloud Atlas was an international effort that included the Wachowskis, Tom Hanks, German goverment/europeen union "goverment" money and very little if any of Warners themselve, Warner distributed some market (theatrical-home videos), but it was a German movie, with a giant list of distributor and financier.

Yes, but if Warners really didn't like the Wachowskis, they wouldn't even distribute -- they seem to maintain a decades-long working relationship with each other -- just trying to refute Coolio's point here -- I think their relationship is special in the industry -- studios/financiers seem to step-up for them regularly, with no hesitation -- even when things haven't worked out.  (Although of course the rumors are that they've had a few even more ambitious projects that haven't quite induced investment over the years...)

Edited by Macleod

On 11/30/2021 at 3:26 PM, WittyUsername said:

I don’t want this to be a member berries movie, not do I want it to be anything more than a one-off, so I can’t say I’m rooting for it to do gangbusters. 

I'm rooting for this to do gangbusters not because I want more Matrix sequels but because I'm tired of over a decade of people hating on the Wachowskis. This flopping would just add more fuel to the fire. Also allows Lana (assuming Lily is just retired now) to do more original projects like Cobalt Neural 9, which they likely haven't been able to lift off the ground because their last 3 films flopped.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I love The Matrix movies, but I think this will bomb big time unless WB ups their advertising big time. Honestly, a $10M OW wouldn't' surprise me.

I could see a low opening but $10m is a bit too low. The Matrix franchise isn’t on top of the world like it was from 1999-2003 but it’s still extremely well known. Tbh based on other WB hybrid movie numbers I’m thinking over/under the original film ($27m) as the threshold.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 8:04 PM, Last Man Standing said:

As of 6k votes Resurrections is third with 12% (Don't Look Up has 24%)...probably doesn't mean much, but it's not great coupled with the general lack of hype I'm seeing on twitter. If the movie doesn't have good reviews it could easily disappoint.

Don't Look Up over Matrix, really?

28 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

what's with the low key marketing, did AT&T run out of money? this should have made 500m even if it was awful

I honestly think they gave up on their HBO MAX movies. If it's not a DC property, they just aren't going to promote it.

Anyway, I missed the original in theaters. I saw Reloaded and Revolutions on opening night. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but I also truly stand by my potential $10M OW. Spider-Man is going to slaughter this and WB doesn't seem to be spending much ad money to spend this. I don't know a single person outside box office forums who even knows this is coming out. Maybe, I'm wrong. I guess I can see it doing double my $10M and getting $20M OW, but this film wasn't setup to succeed.

21 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I honestly think they gave up on their HBO MAX movies. If it's not a DC property, they just aren't going to promote it.

Anyway, I missed the original in theaters. I saw Reloaded and Revolutions on opening night. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, but I also truly stand by my potential $10M OW. Spider-Man is going to slaughter this and WB doesn't seem to be spending much ad money to spend this. I don't know a single person outside box office forums who even knows this is coming out. Maybe, I'm wrong. I guess I can see it doing double my $10M and getting $20M OW, but this film wasn't setup to succeed.

I think we'll have a clearer view of it's BO once trailer 2 drops, but 10 seems way too low. The first trailer and early marketing had great buzz so I don't know what AT&T are doing now.

29 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Dune wasn't DC and did great, especially considering it followed multiple weeks of $45M+ openers, though obviously it wasn't opening in the shadow of what's shaping up to be a true multi-generational, nostalgia-powered sensation that only comes once in a blue moon like this is. Should've moved away when they had the chance but alas, too late now.