Witch Hunted Away

JCS – Post tenebras spero lucem

As many of you may or may not have heard, I was suspended on July 22nd for using ‘alt-accounts’. This came as a shock to me, as I did not know what I was being accused of, and had zero recourse to challenge this judgement by the omniscient moderation team. After some initial misunderstanding on my part around exactly why I was suspended (I am not down with all internet lingo), I realized that the ban had been made over something I certainly did not do. 

I say certainly because, If any of you have had experience of me you will know that I am quite computer illiterate, and most certainly would never come close to the level of technical wizardry required to commit the crime I was accused of. I had a hard enough time understanding exactly what I was being accused of. I hope my understanding of the specifics has, in the time since, become somewhat better. The moderation team is quite aware of this as well; WB himself has had multiple interactions wherein I was in need of his help to complete tasks many other users seemed to find quite trivial. Although I suppose in the narrative of the mods this is merely part of a more elaborate plot of mine (I wouldn’t know if this is the case, as already mentioned, I was given zero recourse for dialogue, or even a response). 

You may also note that this seems to have happened at a very ‘opportune’ time, the very same day that Avatar was overtaken by EG. Strange to think that the user in question had been using these various accounts for years, and yet the staff only noticed now... A very strange coincidence indeed, but as ever, I contribute it not to malice, but incompetence. Afterall, I assume the staff here are paid pro rata for their work…

To my genuine shock, and later, sullenness, I have come to find out that a person responsible was a contractor who worked with our firm. I use was as the operative word here. I cannot speak too much about the person in question, as litigation is still underway. However, I can say that both the users ‘GrandMoff’ and ‘Hydrogen’ are in fact the same person, and created at least two other accounts that I have highlighted to the moderation team (although both of those have not been active since at least 2018 as far as I can tell). I would be on the lookout for any further accounts the person in question may have made too. 

I want to make it clear that I have nothing but warm regards and respect for the majority of users on BOT, I admit I’m a little upset that no one stood up for me, or even questioned the narrative once the mod team had spoken, but this has not changed my view of any specific user. 

I should also remark that there are many users I think should be addressed specifically:

@LaughingEvans - a more misjudged character I have not met on the forums, I remember we clashed quite a lot early on, but I hope you’d agree that has changed since. I have to come to respect your views and have found myself agreeing with them more than I’d have expected! One of the few users I regard as an actual comic book fan! 

@That One Guy - I have always deeply admired your naivety and passion TOG, and believe we share similar views on DIS. I just hope you don’t let yourself be influenced too much by lesser users. I get the feeling @canastop is one, and who is my own personal financial advisor… actually he’s not - for any of you interested check out Barry Didato, and learn about the yield curve - if you think Jim doesn’t want to play the ER game again you’re wrong (as some of you know I’ve been using A2 as a measure of future economic health for some time). 

@Jake Gittes and @rukaio101, although we didn’t always see eye to eye, and certainly came to loggerheads many times (especially you and I ruk), I commend your passion and knowledge for film, and the box office, and hope that continues. ruk, my offer still stands about putting you in contact with my friend in publishing; whatever happens in the future I hope you see your writing pursuits bear deserved fruit. 

@4815162342, @Panda, and @chasmmi, (and every other user who made the polls) I thank you massively, and would also like to note that I understand this entire debacle has impacted you significantly. Let me be clear, I regard your efforts in making the poll threads, and then putting together the lists etc. of immense value (perhaps the greatest input of all users on the site). I would never seek to bring any of that into question or seek to undermine it in anyway. If I’m honest this is one of the areas that has made me the most disgruntled. I hope you can accept my apology; as I realise I did have some hand in this mess by not really understanding how the internet works, although I would also ask questions of the staff who seem either too lazy or inept, and allowed this to happen. 

@baumer and @Plain Old Tele, I enjoyed talking about sci-fi and movies with you both, probably as you’re two of the users who are actually in my age range! @Deep Wang you may be cocksure, but I do appreciate your cynicism and views! I’m surprised you weren’t more critical of the mod action here given your nature on other things, but that’s neither here nor there. 

@Zatt was right - your defense of EG during its run was one of the most ardent and passionate times on the forum and I was enamored by your resolute! I see you and Jimbo as two sides of one coin. Which of course brings me to the Jim Gang! 

The Jim Gang (and others) @IronJimbo, @NCsoft, @Pure Spirit, @dashrendar44, and @MrGlass2. My brothers in arms, you all already know how much I value you and I'm sure our paths will cross again with the imminent arrival of A2. 

Jimbo, the audacity with which you combat your detractors is deeply admirable, even if I do believe it to be misguided. I hope that you continue to be a thorn in the side of those who doubt the brilliance of JC. God forbid this place needs more voices critical of DIS and funnybooks. 

@Avatree, I can’t put anything majorly specific about you as our interactions haven’t been that numerous, but I for some reason find you to be a very important piece of the fabric of the forums. You bring a certain point of view that I’ve not seen in my users. I wish you all the best. 

Last but not least, @Barnack, my absolute favorite user, every single time I’ve read one of your posts it has put a smile on my face. Please continue being as brilliant as ever. 

If you’re not mentioned above, please don’t fret, I either didn’t interact with you, or you never made any kind of impression on me! 

I shall not be returning to the forums after this post, the staff have made it quite clear that I am not welcome here given my treatment around this issue. I was quite wrong when I thought that my upstanding in the community might help me rectify the issue, although given the above evidence about how long the staff knew of the other user’s dishonesty, I’d say it’s likely the entire thing was quite possibly planned, although I truly hope it wasn’t. Oh well. 

I have enjoyed conversing with many of you and reading your insights, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I hope you all continue to enjoy movies, and the money they make! 

Warmest farewell, and best of luck, 

‘JamesCameronScholar’ 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1
  • Not Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Witch Hunted Away said:

I get the feeling @canastop is one

Buh bye.

• Not Cool 1

Sad to see you go JCS, you will be missed dearly.

It did indeed feel like a witch hunt, almost as if they'll just any excuse to get rid of you. I guess they just couldn't handle arguing with you, I think you make people feel stupid JCS. That on top of the mindless Disney worship and hate for cinema /Jim is a real recipe for getting ostracised.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Witch Hunted Away said:

You may also note that this seems to have happened at a very ‘opportune’ time, the very same day that Avatar was overtaken by EG. Strange to think that the user in question had been using these various accounts for years, and yet the staff only noticed now... A very strange coincidence indeed, but as ever, I contribute it not to malice, but incompetence. Afterall, I assume the staff here are paid pro rata for their work…

Just to set the record straight, The staff noticed because I alerted them to my suspicions, and those happened because that was the day you sent a list with the Hydrogen account that was unusually similar to the one you had previously sent with your main account. It had nothing to do with Endgame's BO.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, Tower said:

Just to set the record straight, The staff noticed because I alerted them to my suspicions, and those happened because that was the day you sent a list with the Hydrogen account that was unusually similar to the one you had previously sent with your main account. It had nothing to do with Endgame's BO.

The one I publicly posted here? 

It was posted again by Hydrogen? If you have any other correspondence with him could you please forward it to me. Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Witch Hunted Away said:

The one I publicly posted here? 

It was posted again by Hydrogen? If you have any other correspondence with him could you please forward it to me. Thank you. 

Hydrogen's list was posted publicly in the BW thread. There was no special correspondence by PM, Hydrogen sent a list and that was about it.

Posted (edited)

You know just because you got suspended doesn't mean you need to leave now that you're back.

But if that's your decision - see you around man. Was good talking to you.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

If the first thing you do when your ban is removed is to try and stir up drama against the mods, it’s best you do leave imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

If the first thing you do when your ban is removed is to try and stir up drama against the mods, it’s best you do leave imo.

🙄 Did you read the post?

19 hours ago, Tower said:

19 hours ago, 2010s Painkiller Race said:

just wondering if Hydrogen's list was the first one submitted?

GreedyEthicalAmericanlobster-size_restri

who submitted first is a good question shows who copy who

21 hours ago, Witch Hunted Away said:

To my genuine shock, and later, sullenness, I have come to find out that a person responsible was a contractor who worked with our firm. I use was as the operative word here. I cannot speak too much about the person in question, as litigation is still underway. However, I can say that both the users ‘GrandMoff’ and ‘Hydrogen’ are in fact the same person, and created at least two other accounts that I have highlighted to the moderation team (although both of those have not been active since at least 2018 as far as I can tell). I would be on the lookout for any further accounts the person in question may have made too. 

This is where I don't understand how can 5 accounts go unnoticed for 2,5 years at least? pure spirit/hydrogen/grandmoff/2 others and only on avatar death day do mods notice? that is beyond retarded

or are you saying he spent 2,5 years and then put in the same list twice? how could he run 5 accounts and then be that MOD EDIT surely someone would have noticed that by now?

the entire thing stinks

46 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

🙄 Did you read the post?

Yes, it’s loaded with bait and statements meant to be ignorant jabs at the mod team.

That whole post came across as pleading ignorance while attempting to make people buy into a random conspiracy about the mod team.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Panda said:

GreedyEthicalAmericanlobster-size_restri

who submitted first is a good question shows who copy who

This is where I don't understand how can 5 accounts go unnoticed for 2,5 years at least? pure spirit/hydrogen/grandmoff/2 others and only on avatar death day do mods notice? that is beyond retarded

or are you saying he spent 2,5 years and then put in the same list twice? how could he run 5 accounts and then be that retarded surely someone would have noticed that by now?

the entire thing stinks

It's quite simple. We never thought to check Hydrogen or Grand Moff or JCS of using similar IPs until a user requested it. The forum doesn't automatically notify us when more than one user uses the same IP-it is a manual check. Sometimes if we suspect it's a formerly banned user we check and other times we check because a user told us.  We have thousands of accounts and loads created daily: we don't have the staff to check every account and to keep checking. 

Our investigation abilities are very limited to only what we can see from the AdminCP. We have a very small budget and that goes to paying for the server and the domain name. Our staff are volunteers-they are not paid. We are a non-profit site and all the money we make through donations and ads is to pay the bills. We don't make that much though. 

When it comes to multiple IPs on a user within a short time frame, we tend to thus assume guilt rather than innocence. 

If we made a mistake, we are sorry, but we aren't out to get any users. We are doing the best we can. We aren't perfect, we will be the first to admit that.

We wish JCS the best though. 

• Like 7

You know, in some ways it's comforting to know that JCS will be leaving this forum the same way in which he lived in it...

By being completely full of shit.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Funny how he thought he was an upstanding member of the community 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

You know, in some ways it's comforting to know that JCS will be leaving this forum the same way in which he lived in it...

By being completely full of shit.

And yet he sent you to the nether realm so many times that I have to wonder if you've even recovered yet?

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

We wish JCS the best though. 

I appreciate that WB. Same to you. 

Posted (edited)

just posting so he sees my cool new avatar

Edited by Ozymandias

I really don't know what to think about the whole debacle, but I only have good will for you, JCS. You were one of the more *eccentric* users on the forum, and I miss seeing you on here. If what you say about the contractor is true, I'm sorry for what I said in response to the debacle. And I wish nothing but the best for you, wherever your life takes you.

😄

• Like 1