Eric Duncan

Raya and the Last Dragon | March 5, 2021 | Premier Access/Theater simultaneous release

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Tom & Jerry opening to $12.5m (while being available at home at no extra cost to subscribers). 

Wonder what this’ll do next weekend with the premium home cost + with more cinemas open, $20m+?

It's gonna need Cinemark and a couple of the smaller chains to be willing to jump in and carry it...right now, they are not (but that can change since sets don't finalize til Tues/Wed).  Seeing this opening weekend for T&J, Disney or those chains might want to make a deal...or they may rely on 2nd weekend T&J sales...

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's gonna need Cinemark and a couple of the smaller chains to be willing to jump in and carry it...right now, they are not (but that can change since sets don't finalize til Tues/Wed).  Seeing this opening weekend for T&J, Disney or those chains might want to make a deal...or they may rely on 2nd weekend T&J sales...

Wait why is cinemark not showing Raya? 

1 hour ago, Mau said:

Wait why is cinemark not showing Raya? 

Ask Cinemark:)...and they may still come to a deal this week and put this on the schedule last minute.  But if you go to the national page, this is still not "coming soon" there, and there is no ability to buy presale tickets...

And this is bad, b/c Cinemark announced yesterday they have 75% of their total DOM screens open, far above most chains' rates.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

Going to have to watch Raya on Disney+ as Auckland is back in lockdown for a week and I’m not going to wait, the buzz around this has been fantastic and the promotional material has all looked right up my alley, will obviously rewatch it in cinemas if I love it though just going to be backwards to the way I would have preferred to watch it (cinema first, home second)

Hopefully Disney and some of the theatre chains sort things out by Thursday/Friday because I’m already pulling for this film to make as much as possible (although probably would still feel that way no matter what as we don’t really get any SEA set blockbusters that I can think of and the more unique stories/cultures showcases the better)

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ask Cinemark:)...and they may still come to a deal this week and put this on the schedule last minute.  But if you go to the national page, this is still not "coming soon" there, and there is no ability to buy presale tickets...

And this is bad, b/c Cinemark announced yesterday they have 75% of their total DOM screens open, far above most chains' rates.

I hope Asia delivers a good or decent box office. Not sure if china and japan will be interested in this movie. 

• Like 1

$13.7m opening for Tom & Jerry (while been available at no extra cost on HBOMax)

next weekend will be interesting 

I’m expecting $17-20m+ for Raya, for a few reasons: 

1. Much better reviews than Tom & Jerry

2. in even more cinemas potentially

3. 2 x more expensive to view at home 

4. first Disney film in a long time 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I don't think it'll do that well in China unfortunately but Disney Animation traditionally does well in Japan so hopefully this one continues the trend.

Zootopia grossed $200m in China years ago, it's not impossible for Raya to do very well there....it's 50/50 as Disney Animation has been hit or miss there.

PS: you guys at least have OPTIONS, here theaters have been closed for 4 months and until who knows when...and Disney absolutely wanting this to be a theater release here decided to wait instead of offering Premier Access. In Belgium they gave up on a theater release and decided to go with a Disney+ Premier Access.

Thank you Disney! It"s like you're telling me to go the illegal download route when I just wanted to PAY for it!

Edited by Fullbuster

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

$13.7m opening for Tom & Jerry (while been available at no extra cost on HBOMax)

next weekend will be interesting 

I’m expecting $17-20m+ for Raya, for a few reasons: 

1. Much better reviews than Tom & Jerry

2. in even more cinemas potentially

3. 2 x more expensive to view at home 

4. first Disney film in a long time 

Disgusting oversight of new mutants how dare you 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Haha, that was 6 months ago though! 

Wow though, Disney really haven’t bothered their arse to do anything for cinemas. 

As a former theater employee, I can guarantee you that Disney of all studios doesn't give two hoots about cinemas.

• Like 1

Critics Choice is up for Raya right now, and it's looking very good:

Raya and the Last Dragon 93/100

Here's the last 12 WDAS and Pixar films for reference:

Film Critics Choice Film Critics Choice
Meet the Robinsons 75 Cars 2 67
Bolt 85 Brave 81
The Princess and the Frog 85 Monsters University 79
Tangled 84 Inside Out 93
Winnie the Pooh 75 The Good Dinosaur 75
Wreck-It Ralph 82 Finding Dory 89
Frozen 88 Cars 3 66
Big Hero 6 85 Coco 89
Zootopia 91 Incredibles 2 88
Moana 89 Toy Story 4 93
Ralph Breaks the Internet 83 Onward 80
Frozen II 79 Soul

As someone from SEA, I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Problem being though, most theatres are still closed in my immediate area, and the ones that are open don't seem to be playing Raya. So I'll probably be waiting quite a while to see this one.

Pin on Sad fandom gifs

Edit: I guess I should also mention Premier Access is no-go for me. Not really in the mood to shell out additional $35 for something for a service I'm already paying for. 

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Just throwing some numbers out there —  

22M OW  

14M 2nd Weekend (40M cume)

10M 3rd weekend  (53M cume)  

101M total

Can it do 22M even without cinemark? 

4 minutes ago, Mau said:

To be honest I’m not sure how much impact to expect from that, and I’m not sure whether to expect they’ll work something out last minute or not,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mau said:

Not releasing in Cinemark will probably be of some impact in sites where only theater is Cinemark. Otherwise the audience will go to some other theater. Simple. 

Since we are talking abt $20-25M or about 2-2.5M people it isn't really an capacity issue.