Eric Atreides

Raya and the Last Dragon | March 5, 2021 | Premier Access/Theater simultaneous release

I still have GvK as "cinema is back" movie, subject to its review.

Now i am pegging this at 20m opening, the real first 20m openers during pandemic season. To be frank, given its protagonist aren't white nor black. And this movie have nothing to do with USA (South east asia based). Coincidentally most of the opened cinema are in white-majority areas, this posted some limitation to its box office success .  I am saying this because Coco did "only" 209m which was lower compared to other Pixar films

59 minutes ago, Mau said:

Cinepolis (the biggest chain in mexico) will not project Raya, ans the second largest (cinemex) is not open. Wow Raya will make $0 at the box office in Mexico

Yelmo, Spanish subsidiary of Cinepolis, will not screen Raya either. Spanish BO for Raya will be so low if Cinesa (AMC subsidiary) follows through with that decision 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ScareLol said:

Yelmo, Spanish subsidiary of Cinepolis, will not screen Raya either. Spanish BO for Raya will be so low if Cinesa (AMC subsidiary) follows through with that decision 

They'll die then and pave the way for a streaming future, good!

Sorry to be harsh but it's like they're asking for bankruptcy. I don't mind, watching at home is super fun in its own way :)

Let's hope it'll do very well with Premier Access, when you see how incredible Raya and the Last Dragon seems to be it just deserves it big time!

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 2

29 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The +90-day window is dead tho, it's just a fact.

Of course eventually the movies will go back to theatrical first with exclusivity, but only for 30-45 days before they put it somewhere else. Maybe 60 days for the very big movies.

They will have to accept that, it's probably the best balance for this war theaters V. streaming.

And Disney is pretty cool with that one by the way given the movie gets free Disney+ Access in June so it's still 3 months.

When you compare that to what AT&T did with HBO Max it's pretty fair.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

You really still expecting cinema chains to start dying now when we know for a fact that isn't happening?

I wasn't expecting it anymore, or at least only on the long run but with the strategy of not airing THE big movie of the beginning of the year it's clear some theater chains gave up and just decided to die on their own.

You don't need to be Einstein to understand now is not the time to be picky.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Sorry to be harsh but it's like they're asking for bankruptcy. I don't mind, watching at home is super fun in its own way :)

Only for asking Disney not to be rough on their % rev per ticket?

Jeez, I don't get why to celebrate companies to bully over partners.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

Only for asking Disney not to be rough on their % rev per ticket?

Jeez, I don't get why to celebrate companies to bully over partners.

Listen, I'm more than open to explanations here...according to you it's about revenues per tickets so did Disney change the rules lately or are theater chains asking for a higher share than they had before?

Jatvision was making it look like the boycott is because of streaming and release window.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

They'll die then and pave the way for a streaming future, good!

Let's hope it'll do very well with Premier Access, when you see how incredible Raya and the Last Dragon seems to be it just deserves it big time!

Ultimate betrayal from a lazy socially-incapable brat, a future without cinema is intolerable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

I wasn't expecting it anymore, or at least only on the long run but with the strategy of not airing THE big movie of the beginning of the year it's clear some theater chains gave up and just decided to die on their own.

You don't need to be Einstein to understand now is not the time to be picky.

I'm pretty sure they'll be ok lol. This is not the only big movie releasing this month.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You really still expecting cinema chains to start dying now when we know for a fact that isn't happening?

If they decide not to play Disney movies in a tiff over Disney’s release plans, they just might find a way to snatch death from the jaws of salvation.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

If they decide not to play Disney movies in a tiff over Disney’s release plans, they just might find a way to snatch death from the jaws of salvation.

That's only if all Disney movies go on Premiere Access tho. I'm pretty sure something like Black Widow, which will probably get a proper theatrical release, will release in these chains.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Don't WDAS movies tend to have greater relative success in Cinemark vs AMC/Regal? I seem to recall a distribution like that for Frozen 2, at least. I think Cinemark not showing Raya could have a bigger impact than people think. 

Yeah, Cinemark's normal subscription plan (vs AMC/Regal) is tailor-made for the family unit, since the member gets one free ticket a month, but can roll it for the future (to get 3 for a big kid movie) or buy more at a discount.  So, Cinemark always had the cheapest deal for families...(and that's before cheap 1st matinee and discount Tuesdays)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That's only if all Disney movies go on Premiere Access tho. I'm pretty sure something like Black Widow, which will probably get a proper theatrical release, will release in these chains.

Yeah I actually don’t think it will end up being a big deal either way because I expect Disney to go back to full theatrical for blockbusters quite fast.    

But, if you’re a theater chain trying to be open right now and you think Raya is going to be the only big movie that goes premiere, why not play it? Get some desperately needed business in the present and you aren’t really setting a precedent for non-pandemic hybrid releases.   

If you’re a chain and you think Disney is going to try to send a lot of movies hybrid, then I still don’t really understand the strategy here — if Disney does actually plan a bunch more hybrid (which, again, I personally doubt but just gaming out the possibilities) then is it really plausible for you to continue not showing them? Probably not.   

So this feels more like “we’re going to resist for emotional reasons” than really having worked out the game theory to me at least — especially when you haven’t even coordinated with other chains, making the boycott radically less effective.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1