Jump to content
Eric is Full of Pride

Raya and the Last Dragon | March 5, 2021 | Premier Access/Theater simultaneous release

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And in this tiff, I've gotta think Disney is sticking to their normal revenue cut, and that's what's making the cinemas balk right now...WB dropped their cut 15%+...I gotta think theaters expected the same for the Disney dual releases...

Disney does not give a shit about theaters. Period. Trust me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ScareLol said:

Yelmo, Spanish subsidiary of Cinepolis, will not screen Raya either. Spanish BO for Raya will be so low if Cinesa (AMC subsidiary) follows through with that decision 

Is Raya releasing simultaneously in theaters and Disney + in Spain too ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Parasite said:

Is Raya releasing simultaneously in theaters and Disney + in Spain too ?

Everywhere that has Disney+ (except France) and with theatres open is getting duel release. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reviews are good. There are many middling recommendations out there (Dan Murrell's is an example, he recommended it but was on the edge), but there's also a bunch of high praise. The idea of it being darker is dope as that's what I wanted out of it.

 

I hope the critical reception drives people to theaters to see it.

 

Also @Fullbuster good on you for liking to watch things home but don't be selfish and calling it "good" that theaters would be on a theoretical death (they're not).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

 

Also @Fullbuster good on you for liking to watch things home but don't be selfish and calling it "good" that theaters would be on a theoretical death (they're not).

 

I only say good for those who are boycotting movies that they need to revive, not all theaters....If theaters were open here I would go there to watch Raya.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I only say good for those who are boycotting movies that they need to revive, not all theaters....If theaters were open here I would go there to watch Raya.

Well, I don't think theaters are to blame here when they are struggling hard, while Disney is thriving with Disney+. In Spain, Disney only released The New Mutants on cinemas while sending The Empty Man and David Copperfield straight to VOD without any marketing when cinemas needed content. 93% of releases during the pandemic in Spain were indie so blaming cinemas when they are closing forever and majors are not backing them up is a bit weird. Disney's conditions for theatrical releases are hard to reach for struggling theatres

Edited by ScareLol
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ScareLol said:

Well, I don't think theaters are to blame here when they are struggling hard, while Disney is thriving with Disney+. In Spain, Disney only released The New Mutants on cinemas while sending The Empty Man, David Copperfield straight to VOD without any marketing when cinemas needed content

 

I'm not saying Disney are the good guys here, or the villains FWIW but if they think boycotting movies is gonna hurt Disney it's stupid, they will only reinforce the appeal of streaming.

 

Cinepolis also doesn't seem to be all that rosy as I heard they help wioth the streaming releases of TimeWarner movies

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

I'm not saying Disney are the good guys here, or the villains FWIW but if they think boycotting movies is gonna hurt Disney it's stupid, they will only reinforce the appeal of streaming.

 

Cinepolis also doesn't seem to be all that rosy as I heard they help wioth the streaming releases of TimeWarner movies

I doubt they are looking to "hurt" Disney - they are solely looking to protect their own interests in a possible "normal coming" hybrid/day-and-date release strategy for many movies in the future.

 

For this new phase, Universal gave theaters a cut of their PVOD income.  Warner Brothers cut their take rate to 45%.  What is Disney offering?  If it's the same old, same old, well theaters can't survive long term on day and date releases for 80% or more of their showable product if they need to go back to old terms...and if Universal and WB see that Disney got their old terms, theaters may lose those bennies, too.  They have to play hardball right now on this release, and it's very easy since they already have a popular family movie and 2 other releases scheduled on the weekend.

 

As they used to say, "if you don't fight now, when will you?"  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

 

I'm not saying Disney are the good guys here, or the villains FWIW but if they think boycotting movies is gonna hurt Disney it's stupid, they will only reinforce the appeal of streaming.

 

Cinepolis also doesn't seem to be all that rosy as I heard they help wioth the streaming releases of TimeWarner movies

Saying yes to Disney with their conditions and no hesitation in this situation is lowering your power to negotiate for better conditions with the mouse in the near future and their own interests. It's like saying they have a free pass to do whatever they want

Edited by ScareLol
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I doubt they are looking to "hurt" Disney - they are solely looking to protect their own interests in a possible "normal coming" hybrid/day-and-date release strategy for many movies in the future.

 

For this new phase, Universal gave theaters a cut of their PVOD income.  Warner Brothers cut their take rate to 45%.  What is Disney offering?  If it's the same old, same old, well theaters can't survive long term on day and date releases for 80% or more of their showable product if they need to go back to old terms...and if Universal and WB see that Disney got their old terms, theaters may lose those bennies, too.  They have to play hardball right now on this release, and it's very easy since they already have a popular family movie and 2 other releases scheduled on the weekend.

 

As they used to say, "if you don't fight now, when will you?"  

 

12 minutes ago, ScareLol said:

Saying yes to Disney with their conditions and no hesitation in this situation is lowering your power to negotiate for better conditions with the mouse in the near future and their own interests. It's like saying they have a free pass to do whatever they want

 

I have a better understanding of the stakes now, thank you.

I'm kinda mad they're doing this with Raya instead of another movie but I at least understand why they do it, let's hope a solution will be negotiated asap.

 

In the meantime I'm gonna hope it does well in Asia, that's where its biggest potential is, and good enough on Premier Access to partially offset the covid restrictions.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jamiem

Event Cinemas just put Raya tickets up for sale (obviously not for Auckland lol). :D Seriously bringing it down to the wire but I'm happy, I'll definitely see it there once we hit level 2. Glad to see they will show movies that are getting same-ish day streaming on Disney+, was more than a bit worried they weren't going to.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gamora said:

@Jamiem

Event Cinemas just put Raya tickets up for sale (obviously not for Auckland lol). :D Seriously bringing it down to the wire but I'm happy, I'll definitely see it there once we hit level 2. Glad to see they will show movies that are getting same-ish day streaming on Disney+, was more than a bit worried they weren't going to.

That's great news will be able to go see it at my local instead of having to travel 15-20 mins... once we come out of lockdown that is.

 

Interesting that the Australian Event website hasn't been updated with Raya yet but I imagine that will change in the next few hours, might be waiting for 12pm AET before they go live or something. 

 

Also hopefully more of these last minute deals happen around the world as I want the film and cinemas to succeed.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

 

Thanks for this, always an interesting insight to read what local people the setting is based on think of the film, seems pretty mixed without doing too much of a deep dive, will read through them in a bit. 

 

One thing I'm still dissapointed in the lack of SEA representation in the cast especially compared to Moana (which was full of Polynesian voices) They could has easily got some English speaking Thai, Filipino etc. actors to fill at the very least secondary characters. Hopefully the local dubs in the region are very well done though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Listen, I'm more than open to explanations here...according to you it's about revenues per tickets so did Disney change the rules lately or are theater chains asking for a higher share than they had before?

I don't know the particular cases for each market but here it's a mix of Disney not giving up on better conditions and terms for exhibitors and Cinépolis still holding back the old exhibition window. Theatres were closed for a long time in most of the country since December and Disney asking for the same deal as it was in the pre-pandemic world is really rough.

Cinépolis has been less flexible than its competitor Cinemex (which is one of the few majors in the world that reached deals with Netflix for releases of their films) but throughthout the pandemic they had perfect agreements with Universal/Warner Bros to shorten the windows and even have simultaneous releases in VOD and theatres. 

Raya will play in drive-ins and small chains. Drive-ins have different agreements and smaller chains don't have much of a choice as Cinépolis.

I agree streaming is future for much of the industry and I celebrate it as I like to see lesser profile movies getting a chance there but I don't think cinemas are dommed. However neither exhibitors and distributors and studios can and shouldn't keep with old practices that affect them both and the consumer that ultimately will wait to see it for free or just pirate it.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

I don't know the particular cases for each market but here it's a mix of Disney not giving up on better conditions and terms for exhibitors and Cinépolis still holding back the old exhibition window. Theatres were closed for a long time in most of the country since December and Disney asking for the same deal as it was in the pre-pandemic world is really rough.

Cinépolis has been less flexible than its competitor Cinemex (which is one of the few majors in the world that reached deals with Netflix for releases of their films) but throughthout the pandemic they had perfect agreements with Universal/Warner Bros to shorten the windows and even have simultaneous releases in VOD and theatres. 

Raya will play in drive-ins and small chains. Drive-ins have different agreements and smaller chains don't have much of a choice as Cinépolis.

I agree streaming is future for much of the industry and I celebrate it as I like to see lesser profile movies getting a chance there but I don't think cinemas are dommed. However neither exhibitors and distributors and studios can and shouldn't keep with old practices that affect them both and the consumer that ultimately will wait to see it for free or just pirate it.

So to reach a deal with cinepolis is almost impossible, at least for Raya, but possible for other films like Black Widow and Luca 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

You really still expecting cinema chains to start dying now when we know for a fact that isn't happening?

It can happen actually. If this steaming thing works in US and rich western countries, they can easily fill in the overseas theatrical business loss for studio in Asia and LATAM.

 

Netflix has a $8-9B revenue in US alone. Disney in 2019 had roughly $4B revenue from the box office, despite consumers paying $10.5B for their product.

 

Fortunately in Asia we have our local industry, which can't survive on digital and need theaters. So future may be interesting. These Western cinemas need to fight for their future.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.