Eric Atreides

Raya and the Last Dragon | March 5, 2021 | Premier Access/Theater simultaneous release

1 hour ago, jatvision said:

It can happen actually. If this steaming thing works in US and rich western countries, they can easily fill in the overseas theatrical business loss for studio in Asia and LATAM.

Netflix has a $8-9B revenue in US alone. Disney in 2019 had roughly $4B revenue from the box office, despite consumers paying $10.5B for their product.

Fortunately in Asia we have our local industry, which can't survive on digital and need theaters. So future may be interesting. These Western cinemas need to fight for their future.

Funny seeing cinema-loving crowd are mocked as old-fashioned when Asia and LATAM that have younger population in general are actually experiencing large growth in cinema business but no so in western  

5 hours ago, Jamiem said:

One thing I'm still dissapointed in the lack of SEA representation in the cast especially compared to Moana (which was full of Polynesian voices) They could has easily got some English speaking Thai, Filipino etc. actors to fill at the very least secondary characters. Hopefully the local dubs in the region are very well done though. 

Yeah I think unfortunately we still have some ways to go with regards to recognising how diverse Asia is portrayed in Hollywood. Don't get me wrong I still love that this film exists but we can have films of Asian representation without having to resort to getting actors from Crazy Rich Asians for example. 

But this and Shang Chi are great steps for tentpole films.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 4

I can't wait for China/Japan/Korea numbers, that's where it's gonna matter most.

Sure, it'll be interesting to see if Raya can have the strongest OW during the pandemics but numbers  are gonna be low anyway.

If Premier Access is successful, is there any chance Disney will give us the numbers in order to have a viable global gross number?

• Like 1

It’s a total shame that it just won’t be possible for Raya to match the Box-Office numbers of any of the other Disney Revival movies - However, it appears that Raya is continuing the Disney Revival streak of critical acclaim!

Currently the movie is sitting at 96% on RottenTomatoes - I can’t wait to check out this movie over the weekend.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

BOT's bias against animated movies has always been sad.

If a Marvel/DC/SW movie were getting a 96% RT and were releasing in 3 days it'd have more 200 pages already 😕

BOT is so biased against animated movies that Soul was 2nd on the BOT 2020 top 25.

• Like 4

Standalone original movies just generate less discussion than franchise/connected universe entries. There’s no established fan base of the world or characters, no prior movies have hinted/set up anything that people want to see how it’s paid off, and people don’t expect it to connect to anything coming out afterward.    

I think I will really enjoy this movie and I’m looking forward to seeing it in theaters and hope it has a good run, but pretty understandable why there hasn’t been that much chatter.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Because there was barely anything else of value in 2020

That's not at all true lol. The movie would've definitely made it into the top 5 anyways if the year was normal. Maybe Dune and Eternals would've beat it? But that's it.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JjFit said:

It’s a total shame that it just won’t be possible for Raya to match the Box-Office numbers of any of the other Disney Revival movies - However, it appears that Raya is continuing the Disney Revival streak of critical acclaim!

Currently the movie is sitting at 96% on RottenTomatoes - I can’t wait to check out this movie over the weekend.

I wouldn't say it's impossible to match any of their releases - it should at least be able to get past Winnie the Pooh's $50M worldwide. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Standalone original movies just generate less discussion than franchise/connected universe entries. There’s no established fan base of the world or characters, no prior movies have hinted/set up anything that people want to see how it’s paid off, and people don’t expect it to connect to anything coming out afterward.    

I think I will really enjoy this movie and I’m looking forward to seeing it in theaters and hope it has a good run, but pretty understandable why there hasn’t been that much chatter.

fair enough