Eric Atreides

Raya and the Last Dragon | March 5, 2021 | Premier Access/Theater simultaneous release

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Forgot to add James Newton Howard's score is the best in a Disney film (not just animated) in years. Certainly the only one close to it in the animated movies is Christophe Beck's Frozen work.

Oh yeah the score of Raya is awesome. I endorse this. Actually felt memorable and I"d like to listen it stand alone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

Oh that’s not good at all. 

Tom & Jerry was available at no extra cost to subscribers ($15.99) and had terrible reviews (25%). I thought this would be doing high teens, low 20’s. 

• Like 1

Sources (according Variety) say Mulan grossed $90m from Disney+ Premier Access and Raya is likely to bring way more as Premier Access has been expanded to much more countries and Disney+ just has much more subscribers now.

If you add to that people who will subscribe to Disney+ in June to see it without Premier Access and the merchandising and TV rights it's clear Raya will be a clearly profitable movie despite all the obstacle of the pandemic, that's what matters in the end.

Well done Raya, you're gonna do well, well deserved! :D

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

it's clear Raya will be a clearly profitable movie despite all the obstacle of the pandemic, that's what matters in the end.

No it's not at all clear tho. Also your assumption that it would make more than Mulan on D+ purely because it has more users now doesn't make much sense since it assumes that Raya would've also made $90 mil on D+ PA if it released in September last year.

Also, most of the growth in D+ subs since September has been from Asia and Latin America, which are piracy heavy markets where no one's paying the equivalent of $30 dollars to watch this at home (and some countries like India, which got the largest growth, don't even have D+ premiere access) so it's not even the kind of growth that would help Raya do better than Mulan.

Edit: And they arent going to get laid much in TV rights either with the movie going to normal D+ streaming just 3 months.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tom&Jerry is a famous brand.  If anything, we underestimated it cause of covid but realistically speaking, nostalgia brands - Turtles, Smurfs, Sonic - did well. We only overestimated Pikachu. :pcwhack: I know you'll laugh but I honestly believed in over 1B. I still can't understand what went wrong. he was so cute. :whosad:

Raya isn't a famous brand. That said, deadline can't count so maybe they underestimate Sat and the movie comes closer to T&J than projected when actuals roll out.

Edited by Valonqar

15 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Sources (according Variety) say Mulan grossed $90m from Disney+ Premier Access and Raya is likely to bring way more as Premier Access has been expanded to much more countries and Disney+ just has much more subscribers now.

If you add to that people who will subscribe to Disney+ in June to see it without Premier Access and the merchandising and TV rights it's clear Raya will be a clearly profitable movie despite all the obstacle of the pandemic, that's what matters in the end.

Well done Raya, you're gonna do well, well deserved! :D

.....No. 

You know a film has done poorly when merchandise and tv rights are brought into it on opening weekend lol 😂

• Like 3

Saw it on Disney+ and enjoyed it more than Soul. And yes, it goes without saying it's superior to Tom and Jerry. 

The film will likely lose money, but it's not really its fault, or even really the studio's fault. The virus has screwed everything up. Some markets may be slowly starting to rebound, but it's still screwy everywhere. So some may give it more of a pass. 

Well, I suppose this wont be losing much or at all. D+ has like $300M per month revenue in DOM now and $300M in OS. There isn't much of new content they release.

Granted there will be some revenue from Premium Access too, but for a film directly going to OTT release, the licensing revenue will be higher, and Disney will put that in their internal accounting.

Edited by jatvision

3 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

It is not doing even half of Soul's numbers in the places where both were released, it's pretty clear that the main problem was lack of interest. It would've bombed in any scenario, IMO. 

To be fair, Soul wasn't boycotted by major theater chains.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

.....No. 

You know a film has done poorly when merchandise and tv rights are brought into it on opening weekend lol 😂

This is true. Any attempt to pad the opening weekend with non-boxoffice numbers from the future tells you all you need to know. 

• Like 3

Just now, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Not sure if there's having any boycott in Asia? And it is doing quite horrible there.

I know that Japan's Toho Cinemas aren't playing the movie, and they have a strong footprint of theaters. I thought I remembered somebody saying some Korea chains aren't playing the movie, but I could be wrong there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Not sure if there's having any boycott in Asia? And it is doing quite horrible there.

The biggest and 3rd biggest Japanese chains declined to play it, huge impact in that market at least. Afaik it’s not a problem in China or SK though.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

I know that Japan's Toho Cinemas aren't playing the movie, and they have a strong footprint of theaters. I thought I remembered somebody saying some Korea chains aren't playing the movie, but I could be wrong there.

ahh. so you do visit international threads. huh. 

41 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

can someone please explain this theater boycott to me? 

A handful of chains aren't showing the movie because Disney is still asking for their usual absurd terms despite the movie being available to watch at home the same day.

That's here in the US at least. Not sure about everywhere else.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4