Eric Atreides

Raya and the Last Dragon | March 5, 2021 | Premier Access/Theater simultaneous release

On 3/9/2021 at 8:57 AM, Fullbuster said:

It's just too much to overcome for a new IP, I think it's fine given it's a new IP...Wonder Woman 1984 barely doid better despite being the sequel to a certified hit, being a known character and having no boycott against it.

WW84 opened to double what Raya did in a time where less cinemas were open, the pandemic was worse than it is now and people felt even more unsafe going to the cinema. It was also available at home for either no extra cost or half the price of Raya. So let’s not. 

Plus, Raya should maybe be compared to other cartoons, like Tom & Jerry instead. 

• Like 4

Finally got around to spending the 35 bucks on it (screw you Disney). The world-building is great, but the movie is REALLY constrained by its 95-minute runtime imo. And I can't help but feel that the story between the prologue and the actual movie would have been much more interesting than what we got.

Don't get me wrong. It's good. The characters have clear motivations, I really liked the message. The movie was focused, and it is fulfilling by the end. However, watching it reminded me of times where I would write a 3,000 word essay for school and then realize that the word limit is 2000, so I have to cut out ALL the extra padding, nuance, and depth, and submit an essay that, while it covers all the major points, it has no meat on its bones and misses out on some of the depth that I wish it could have had. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Isn't this like 2 hrs long? Longest for a Disney Animated film I think.

It's 1h 52min on D+, but has close to 15 minutes of credits. So to be fair, it's closer to 100 minutes than 95, but still not super long.

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

Yeah, it was long for a WDAS movie but really a story that would have worked better as like an 8 episode series.

I'm surprised people are saying it was long; I didn't find it long at all lol. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Yeah, it was long for a WDAS movie but really a story that would have worked better as like an 8 episode series.

Getting an anime series as a sequel for Disney+ would be amazing, this world deserves to be fleshed out.

• Like 3

I’ve just got out of the cinema, it was my first time since New Mutants last year (i was desesperate and that was all i could get at that moment lol). Raya is amazing, go and see it in a big screen if u can, one of my top 3 WDAS for sure. I hope for good legs everywhere bc i would love to see more of Kumandra.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

When Raya has amazing legs 😍

tenor.gif

These numbers don't necessarily equate to amazing legs lol. However, Charlie's hinted that the actual number could end up higher than this estimate, which WOULD be pretty great legs.

We gotta remember to be careful to separate our thoughts on the movie itself from our analysis of its box office. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

These numbers don't necessarily equate to amazing legs lol. However, Charlie's hinted that the actual number could end up higher than this estimate, which WOULD be pretty great legs.

We gotta remember to be careful to separate our thoughts on the movie itself from our analysis of its box office. 

Well, if it's even higher that's all good then :)

Damn, without the boycott from some theater chains it probably would be more than satisfying in a context of a pandemic, thankfully the good WOM might help Premier Access too!

42 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Raya $5.5M DOM weekend, $11.5M INT weekend, $17M weekend total, $52.6M Global Cumm

https://deadline.com/2021/03/raya-and-the-last-dragon-weekend-box-office-los-angeles-movie-theaters-reopening-1234713807/#comments

Guess it wasn't higher than initially predicted. Oh well, it'll still reach 100M WW it looks like.

• Like 2