Eric Atreides

Raya and the Last Dragon | March 5, 2021 | Premier Access/Theater simultaneous release

The main difference compared to Soul is (hopefully) the situation in many countries will be ok for people to go to the cinemas. Disney atm doesn't seem to want to change how they're distributing films OS compared to NA so this is a way for them to incentivise people to watch it in cinemas. I selfishly wish they did this for Soul so I could have watched it in cinemas.

Trailer itself was alright but hard to judge animation films in general by trailers geared primarily to kids.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jatvision said:

It IS weird.

They dumped Soul like its nothing and Raya they are doing theaters and Disney+ both. Huh.

I agree. If Mulan was profitable, and that's why they're doing the day-and-date release, I'm wondering why not with Soul. The only reason I can think they're charging premier access for this is because of the simultaneous release; it may help to push it in theaters if someone isn't willing to pay the $30 bucks if they're watching it by themselves. If the movie was free on D+, it would absolutely kill any chance it had in the theaters that it's playing in.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, SpiderByte said:

After the last movie released through Premiere Access was also an action movie? Is it really a stretch?

This is really a small sample size and 3 different release USA wise 

Mulan: No theatrical, only DIsney+, $30 rental than $0 rental with Disney+ after a month

Soul: No theatrical, available on D+

Raya: Theatrical and Disney+ $30 day and date

3 different release model, Disney trying I do not think there is any possible conclusion to make from it. Outside that the $30 price tag was not judged catastrophic.

I imagine that those 3 dates will have a different numbers of theater open.

Onward getting free on D+ so fast indicate maybe a distinction between Disney/Pixar brand as well, but that is a very small sample size and against Onward is a 4th different release than those 3, having played in theater only for a while before reaching D+

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I agree. If Mulan was profitable, and that's why they're doing the day-and-date release, The only reason I can think they're charging premier access for this is because of the simultaneous release;

Mulan from what I remember didn't release day-and-date in many market

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Mulan-(2020)#tab=summary

Domestic Box Office: n/a

70 millions at the Box office WW (mostly from China and Soul did a little more there I think) is a bit of paper release theatrically speaking for a movie like that, it was almost exclusively a D+ affair.

There is many reason why a company would want to charge people $30 to watch a movie, to have revenues from blockbuster.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I'm wondering why not with Soul.

That is hard to know, less theatrical release (and that because of terrible timing for it) maybe even none when it released on D+ could be a factor, you cannot tell theater to open for that the movie is direct on D+ I imagine.

Could part be experiment, trying to access how many new subscribers do you lose in any if you put a $30 tag on your flagship new product versus included in the D+ membership.

Hamilton they charged nothing but removed the free month trial timed for people needing to actually pay for D+ to watch it, I think has of now there was a little something different for every major release attempted by Disney, probably trying to figure out the best ways of this new windowing. And has it mature attracting new member is less and less the goal, like it still was in the USA for Hamilton days.

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

All I'm saying is that I hope theaters are open in my province by March because no way am I giving Disney the satisfaction of 30 dollars to watch this by myself on my tiny little TV. 

*$35 in Canada, which I also refuse to shell out (especially when Disney+ here is getting a pretty significant price hike) regardless of if this ends up being really amazing (I hope it is), I really hope Drive-Ins open up again in my province soon, although I feel like that's not going to happen.

Edited by PNF2187

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

All I'm saying is that I hope theaters are open in my province by March because no way am I giving Disney the satisfaction of 30 dollars to watch this by myself on my tiny little TV. 

Until there is a (and I imagine watch out for what we which for) a system reliable that look at how many people are watching the movie in the living room and price accordingly, giant family movie almost have to price out all single viewer for sure to make economical sense.

"According to the HTML code at DisneyPlus.com, “Raya and the Last Dragon” it will be available for free to all Disney+ subscribers on June 8th 2021."

source:https://whatsondisneyplus.com/when-can-you-watch-raya-and-the-last-dragon-for-free-on-disney/

So seemingly the same 3 month window as Mulan even though its coming to theatres. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 12:27 PM, Morieris said:

"The dragon looks like Elsa!"

It...does, but it doesn't bother me? I like how she doesn't look like a "typical" eastern dragon, but I miss the colors.

I've seen a lot of dudes on Animation Twitter talk about this and I...don't see it? If anything, the dragon looks more like Nick or Judy from Zootopia to me, and even then not by that much. 

Of course I was the one weirdo who didn't really understand the "Disney same face" discourse from a few years back, so maybe I'm just stupid. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamiem said:

"According to the HTML code at DisneyPlus.com, “Raya and the Last Dragon” it will be available for free to all Disney+ subscribers on June 8th 2021."

source:https://whatsondisneyplus.com/when-can-you-watch-raya-and-the-last-dragon-for-free-on-disney/

So seemingly the same 3 month window as Mulan even though its coming to theatres. 

Excellent - my sub will still be active, so I'll hold out for the home viewing (since this trailer is not grabbing me)...

https://deadline.com/2021/02/super-bowl-movie-trailer-ads-2021-what-to-expect-1234685625/

Disney will have two to four trailers, on par with previous Super Bowls. The studio always likes to keep their Super Bowl blast close to the vest, but it’s quite conceivable we’ll see their Marvel fare again, specifically Disney+ trailers for Loki and The Falcon and the Winter Solider, and possibly their May 7 summer release Black Widow (which also aired a spot last year during Super Bowl) or their March 5 theatrical and Disney+ premium debut of animated pic Raya and the Last Dragon.

• Like 1