cannastop

Best International Feature Film 2019

I feel like I knew about more potential nominees at this point in time last year than I do this year. Roma, Shoplifters, Cold War, and Capernaum were all really good bets.

I think it's finally time for South Korea to get a nomination here. They've been having a boom of sorts for quite some time, and a nomination should be given to commemorate that. And this year, Parasite isn't just gunning for a nomination. It's gunning for the win.

There's also Pain & Glory, which seems fine. I hear the Academy likes Almodovar, so it wouldn't surprise me.

There's a lot of potential films that France could choose, as per usual... the one they choose should become more clear after the festival circuit.

That's all I'm aware of at the moment.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/japan-picks-weathering-with-you-for-its-international-oscar-submission-178742.html

At least fifteen countries/territories have submitted animated features for foreign-language Oscar consideration in the past, but only one animated film has ever been nominated in the category: Israel’s Waltz with Bashir. Below is Cartoon Brew’s list of countries that have submitted an animation project as their foreign language choice:

1953: France, Johnny the Giant Killer
1975: Belgium, Tarzoon Shame of the Jungle
1982: Romania, Quo Vadis Homo Sapiens?
1986: Hungary, Cat City
1994: Japan, Pom Poko
1997: Croatia, Lapitch the Little Shoemaker
1997: Japan, Princess Mononoke
1999: Argentina, Manuelita
2002: Chile, Ogu and Mampato on Easter Island
2005: Luxembourg, Renart the Fox
2007: France, Persepolis
2008: Israel, Waltz with Bashir (nominated)
2011: Singapore, Tatsumi
2013: Uruguay, Anina
2014: Latvia, Rocks in My Pockets
2015: Palestinian territories, The Wanted 18
2016: Switzerland, My Life as a Zucchini

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 5:58 AM, Mr Pastaffelees said:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire also seems like it could be a solid contender here. But at this point Parasite looks like it's coming for the win.

I really hope France doesn't submit the new polanski movie (which just won grand jury prize at Venice) instead of Portrait of a lady on fire as their entry. 

the Academy hates Polanski and it would be a total waste of a submission. whereas Portrait has a REAL chance of getting nominated.. 

• Like 1

currently thinking Parasite is almost locked for the win (and might get nominated in other categories like OG screenplay & Picture)

Parasite (South Korea)

Pain & Glory (Spain)

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (if France submits this otherwise no.. )

Ema (Chile)

Monos (Colombia) OR Weathering With You (Japan) 

France submitted Les Miserables, instead of the expected Portrait... Les Miserables still got some strong reviews and an award out of Cannes so i imagine it can still get the nomination, but they've probably made the win even easier for parasite since Portrait was pretty much the only movie i could've maybe seen as a spoiler.

• ...wtf 1

39 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

France submitted Les Miserables, instead of the expected Portrait... Les Miserables still got some strong reviews and an award out of Cannes so i imagine it can still get the nomination, but they've probably made the win even easier for parasite since Portrait was pretty much the only movie i could've maybe seen as a spoiler.

They probably chose that film because they felt it was more representative of the French people. I get it, but I see that as a major disappointment. Without the submission, Neon isn't going to have much of a reason to support Portrait for other categories. I think this means that Portrait won't be the next Cold War. But the bright side is that it does make it easier for Neon to put their emphasis behind Parasite, as well as Clemency so they can push Alfre Woodard.

31 minutes ago, Parasite said:

Could Portrait's very weak performance in France have something to do with them submitting Les Misérables instead ?

That would be the only thing that makes sense. The submission committee likely wanted a film that the people in France would rally behind. I'm not sure how much of a voice the people can be, but they have to count for something.

14 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

That would be the only thing that makes sense. The submission committee likely wanted a film that the people in France would rally behind. I'm not sure how much of a voice the people can be, but they have to count for something.

Could make sense. Among previous french submissions were big box office hits Intouchables, Les Choristes, Entre les murs and Persépolis...but also small releases like La Douleur or Saint Laurent. I just find it weird that the decision comes just three days after Portrait's french release.

They probably expect Les Misérables to break out big there. It absolutely has 2M+ (equivalent of something like 160M DOM) potential.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

https://www.oscars.org/news/93-countries-competition-2019-international-feature-film-oscar

full list of submissions. I'll say Parasite/Pain and Glory/Les Mis/Atlantics will be nominated. haven't made up my mind about the fifth spot don't know enough about the films.

I can't believe Iceland didn't choose The County. That film was building good online buzz from TIFF. A real missed opportunity.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/oscars-major-change-voting-rules-1202774058/

“This Oscars season, for the first time, we will invite all Academy members to opt in to vote on nominations for the International Feature category,” the letter said, “The shortlisted films will be made available to all Academy members to stream on the Academy Screening Room platform via the member site and our new Apple TV 4 app. In addition, the shortlisted films will be screened theatrically in Los Angeles, London and New York during nominations voting.” International Feature Shortlist screenings will take place Friday, January 3 through Sunday, January 5.

pretty major change to this category :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RealLyre said:

This increases the chance of shortlisted films receiving nominations across the board. Last year, voters were willing to give Roma ten nominations, Cold War three nominations, and Never Look Away two nominations. Not only this, but anyone who wants to vote in the category must see all ten films in the shortlist, which increases the number of voters across all branches who have seen, and are able to vote for, all of the films in the shortlist. So if those voters are particularly impressed by particular aspects of a shortlisted film, they may very well consider voting for it. It seems like Never Look Away was not the last out-of-left-field technical nomination for a foreign film.

If these new voters are particularly impressed by Parasite and its many aspects, then the chance of Parasite getting nominated across the board--the chance of Song Kang-Ho receiving a Supporting Actor nom, the chance of its production design getting a nod--rises considerably.

Many American Oscar-season films will definitely still get the technical nominations they deserve, and not all of the shortlisted foreign films will be positively affected in a palpable way. But in a year of film that is objectively weak in certain areas, I'm willing to express my optimism for the ten films fortunate enough to be on the shortlist.

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1