cannastop

Best International Feature Film 2019

16 hours ago, SLAM! said:

This increases the chance of shortlisted films receiving nominations across the board. Last year, voters were willing to give Roma ten nominations, Cold War three nominations, and Never Look Away two nominations. Not only this, but anyone who wants to vote in the category must see all ten films in the shortlist, which increases the number of voters across all branches who have seen, and are able to vote for, all of the films in the shortlist. So if those voters are particularly impressed by particular aspects of a shortlisted film, they may very well consider voting for it. It seems like Never Look Away was not the last out-of-left-field technical nomination for a foreign film.

If these new voters are particularly impressed by Parasite and its many aspects, then the chance of Parasite getting nominated across the board--the chance of Song Kang-Ho receiving a Supporting Actor nom, the chance of its production design getting a nod--rises considerably.

Many American Oscar-season films will definitely still get the technical nominations they deserve, and not all of the shortlisted foreign films will be positively affected in a palpable way. But in a year of film that is objectively weak in certain areas, I'm willing to express my optimism for the ten films fortunate enough to be on the shortlist.

I will rather them to fix the ambiguous between best international feature and best picture. Having best international film nominees in the Best picture race will instantly kill the competition in the category. Like Amour and Roma, the foreign language race become meaningless because there is no way they give the award to non-BP foreign language film. 

Parasite is almost certain to win Best international film as the film is now gunning on Best Picture nomination. If that is the case, what is point of having the best international film as all the nominees are doomed from the start? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I will rather them to fix the ambiguous between best international feature and best picture. Having best international film nominees in the Best picture race will instantly kill the competition in the category. Like Amour and Roma, the foreign language race become meaningless because there is no way they give the award to non-BP foreign language film. 

Parasite is almost certain to win Best international film as the film is now gunning on Best Picture nomination. If that is the case, what is point of having the best international film as all the nominees are doomed from the start? 

well just the nomination can be a good boost in publicity for the other films. there are solutions to the problem you're talking about but none of them are particularly good. i think the academy would have to get a lot more international before they consider binning this category. roma and parasite might be a trend or might just be back to back outliers there's still probably gonna be years in the future where no foreign language films get nominated for anything outside this category. the other solution is just to make foreign language movies ineligible for best picture (which the academy actually briefly did in the 80s) but that sucks ass.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

well just the nomination can be a good boost in publicity for the other films. there are solutions to the problem you're talking about but none of them are particularly good. i think the academy would have to get a lot more international before they consider binning this category. roma and parasite might be a trend or might just be back to back outliers there's still probably gonna be years in the future where no foreign language films get nominated for anything outside this category. the other solution is just to make foreign language movies ineligible for best picture (which the academy actually briefly did in the 80s) but that sucks ass.

or they could get rid of the foreign category all together and have them compete in all sections. 

15 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

or they could get rid of the foreign category all together and have them compete in all sections. 

Or disqualify the film for best international film whenever it is up for Best picture win.

This will not only put the ground in level for best international film, also increase the likelihood of a foreign language film to win BP

Like Roma could win BP last year, but due to some voters thinking they had already vote for Roma in foreign language film, they want to free themselves to vote for another film.  therefore splitting the gong between Roma and GB for taking BF and BP respectively.  

The European Film Awards has announced their nominations; I think these nominations increase the chance of some film.

Les Miserables (France), Pain and Glory (Spain), System Crasher (Germany) and The Traitor (Italy) were nominated alongside other films for the European Film award.

Submitted films that received nominations here:

Pain and Glory (4)

The Traitor (4)

Les Miserables (3)

System Crasher (2)

Atlantics (1, 'Discovery' category) -- Senegal

Beanpole (1; Actress category) -- Russia

Queen of Hearts (1; Actress category) -- Denmark

Tel Aviv on Fire (1; Comedy category) -- Luxembourg

And Then We Danced (1; Actor category) -- Sweden

A White, White Day (1; Actor category) -- Iceland

For Sama and Honeyland were among the nominees for the Documentary category.

The Animated Feature category was entirely comprised of submission to that category: Bunuel and the Labyrinth of Turtles, I Lost My Body, Marona's Fantastic Tale, and The Swallows of Kabul.

These aren't the same people that vote for the Oscars by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those non-obvious fringe candidates in the ten-film shortlist.

https://awardswatch.com/pain-and-glory-portrait-of-a-lady-on-fire-an-officer-and-a-spy-lead-2019-european-film-awards-efa-nominations/

Edited by SLAM!

So I've been dwelling over the submissions for some time, and while the film hasn't been a focal point of discussion regarding this category, I have to say, I feel really good about the chances that Invisible Life, Brazil's submission, will at the very least make the ten-film shortlist. It's critically praised and has a distinct style to it. I guess you could say I have a hunch.

Almodóvar has just revealed that Penélope Cruz will present the Foreign Language award. Taking into account her friendship with Almodóvar and that herself has a role in "Pain and Glory", could we see a huge surprise in this category? Everybody know that "Parasite" is the main favorite for this award, but this movement makes me doubt (a bit). I want to remember that Penélope Cruz and Antonio Banderas presented the same award in 2000, which was won by Almodóvar for "All about my mother", and in which film Cruz had another secondary role.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:55 PM, peludo said:

Almodóvar has just revealed that Penélope Cruz will present the Foreign Language award. Taking into account her friendship with Almodóvar and that herself has a role in "Pain and Glory", could we see a huge surprise in this category? Everybody know that "Parasite" is the main favorite for this award, but this movement makes me doubt (a bit). I want to remember that Penélope Cruz and Antonio Banderas presented the same award in 2000, which was won by Almodóvar for "All about my mother", and in which film Cruz had another secondary role.

this was announced before the voting for the winners even started. so i don't think it means anything. very recently the oscars have been awkwardly getting actors to present in categories where a film they're starring in loses. i don't know why they don't try to avoid it.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this was announced before the voting for the winners even started. so i don't think it means anything. very recently the oscars have been awkwardly getting actors to present in categories where a film they're starring in loses. i don't know why they don't try to avoid it.

Eiza Gonzalez and Ansolo presenting the only 2 awards Baby Driver was nominated for only for Dunkirk to win them both is still funny. Especially Eiza's reaction.

• Like 1

how can Pain & Glory beat Parasite when more voters watched Parasite? P&G has an acting nom over Parasite but it doesn't make much sense for P&G to win all things considered. 

(even if a better film than Parasite was in this category, I doubt it would win because Parasite was watched by more voters). 

Edited by RealLyre

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Eiza Gonzalez and Ansolo presenting the only 2 awards Baby Driver was nominated for only for Dunkirk to win them both is still funny. Especially Eiza's reaction.

Eiza's obvious "I'm dead inside" facial expressions as her movie lost both awards is one of the funniest things I've ever seen at the Oscars.

I liked that moment a couple of years back where they had Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe presenting the Adapted Screenplay category when The Big Short was up and you could tell Gosling was absolutely giddy that he got to give the award to his own movie lol.

• Like 2