Eric Duncan

Dark Waters | Focus Features | November 22, 2019 (limited | Mark Ruffalo stars, Todd Haynes directs

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Debuted this weekend with $102,606 in 4 theatres for a $25,652 PTA. Is it just me or is that a pretty disappointing PTA for a Thanksgiving platform release? 

How do you guys see this doing when it goes wide?

Honestly, not very well unfortunately. The specialty market is becoming just as much of a "feast or famine" space as the mainstream one has become, and while reviews for this are good, probably not enough to stand out in such a crowded marketplace for adult-targeted pictures with much stronger awards chances attached to them. 

• Like 1

Expanding into 2,000+ theatres on the 6th. Focus definitely isn't playing around here (aka no technically wide 700 theatre count or something). Wondering how it will do in comparison to something like Spotlight

92% on RT by the way with 89 reviews so far.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I'm really looking forward to this one. Not sure if I'm watching it or Official Secrets this weekend but either way it looks great. 

It does, doesn't it? Most of Ruffalo's projects are actually quite interesting.

4 hours ago, JB33 said:

So....did anyone end up seeing this over the weekend? I'm visiting my dad in Vancouver right now and it's playing at one of the theatres here downtown. Thinking of catching a matinee.

I did. It's...effective. You'll want to gather all the nonstick pans in the world for a bonfire afterwards.

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

So....did anyone end up seeing this over the weekend? I'm visiting my dad in Vancouver right now and it's playing at one of the theatres here downtown. Thinking of catching a matinee.

ayyyy have fun in Vancouver man :lol: honestly wish I was there, I like it there more than the island for sure

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

ayyyy have fun in Vancouver man :lol: honestly wish I was there, I like it there more than the island for sure

Thanks! I'm taking the opportunity to see as many movies as possible given all the options here. Once I'm back in Merritt, party's over. Only Jumanji and Star Wars are on the docket over the holidays + Richard Jewell and Bombshell IF the Kamloops theater gets them.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Thanks! I'm taking the opportunity to see as many movies as possible given all the options here. Once I'm back in Merritt, party's over. Only Jumanji and Star Wars are on the docket over the holidays + Richard Jewell and Bombshell IF the Kamloops theater gets them.

is there only one theatre in Kamloops now? I coulda sworn there used to be 2 or 3

21 minutes ago, DAJK said:

is there only one theatre in Kamloops now? I coulda sworn there used to be 2 or 3

In fairness, yes there are two. So this is partially my own fault. I'm a 100% Scene card user which means I only go to Cineplex.

Actually, I just checked and in my defense the Landmark theatre there is no more (which isn't surprising, given Landmark went out of business in Canada, did it not?). The only other theatre is the old Paramount theatre, which is a specialty theatre which plays older movies.

So yep, it's just the Aberdeen Mall Cineplex for me. The theatre in Kelowna is even worse.

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

In fairness, yes there are two. So this is partially my own fault. I'm a 100% Scene card user which means I only go to Cineplex.

Actually, I just checked and in my defense the Landmark theatre there is no more (which isn't surprising, given Landmark went out of business in Canada, did it not?). The only other theatre is the old Paramount theatre, which is a specialty theatre which plays older movies.

So yep, it's just the Aberdeen Mall Cineplex for me. The theatre in Kelowna is even worse.

Haha right right I remember the Kamloops landmark closing. But lol no it's still up and running, the theatre I worked at the past 5 years is a landmark, and so is the closest theatre to me in Victoria. On the island I know there's one in Nanaimo, Courtenay, and Campbell River, and a few in Vancouver and Kelowna as well but I'm not sure where else in BC. 

15 hours ago, DAJK said:

Haha right right I remember the Kamloops landmark closing. But lol no it's still up and running, the theatre I worked at the past 5 years is a landmark, and so is the closest theatre to me in Victoria. On the island I know there's one in Nanaimo, Courtenay, and Campbell River, and a few in Vancouver and Kelowna as well but I'm not sure where else in BC. 

Huh... I don't know why I was under the impression Landmark closed all locations. That's good news though. As much of a Cineplex shill as I am, they should not own almost 100% of the market.

17 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Huh... I don't know why I was under the impression Landmark closed all locations. That's good news though. As much of a Cineplex shill as I am, they should not own almost 100% of the market.

I mean not gonna lie, Cineplex generally has the better theatres. A lot of the bigger landmark locations are only due to the acquisition of Empire when they closed (Cineplex wasn't allowed to get all of them because that would give them an official monopoly) so they split them. 

One thing Landmarks have going for them though is their popcorn. Cineplex popcorn tastes like cardboard.