baumer

Top 30 of 1989. Full List Revealed

Thanks to @grim22... Everything has been tabulated and we had an incredibly close race for number one. We also had a ridiculously close race for number three and four. In fact the top 5 got a lot of votes.

We received 22 lists and I want to thank everybody who helped out and participated.

105 movies got nominated and we're going to have some fun with the countdown.

• Like 11
  • Astonished 1

Here's a few hints as to what made the top 30

I gave her my heart she gave me a pen

Men fall more and more in love to the women they are attracted to. Women are more and more attracted to the men they love.

You know it was just so interesting that a ride could make me so sick so scared so sick and so frightened.

Only a penitent man will pass ( y'all knew this was making the countdown)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I would love to make this countdown as detailed and outstanding as @The Panda...but I just can't get focused and precise and detailed.  His comic book countdown was one for the ages.  I will try to add some of my own touches to it and I think I'm going to try to follow a similar blue print as my MOST IMPORTANT FILMS EVER MADE thread.

22 lists were received

13 films got first place votes.

6 points separated first and second

Third and 4th place are about as close as you can get.

3 films received 3 first place votes

The best picture winner of 89 did receive votes....will it be enough to make the countdown?

A film at number 43, received a first place vote.

America, Japan, Canada, Australia, UK all are represented....but not necessarily in the top 30

A young Keanu might show up...an even younger J. Phoenix might as well.

Joel Silver will be represented.....but not sure if both or just one of his films will make the top 30.

Without further ado.....I'll start working on the first few entries.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I would love to make this countdown as detailed and outstanding as @The Panda...but I just can't get focused and precise and detailed.  His comic book countdown was one for the ages.  I will try to add some of my own touches to it and I think I'm going to try to follow a similar blue print as my MOST IMPORTANT FILMS EVER MADE thread.

22 lists were received

22 films got first place votes.

6 points separated first and second

Third and 4th place are about as close as you can get.

3 films received 3 first place votes

The best picture winner of 89 did receive votes....will it be enough to make the countdown?

A film at number 43, received a first place vote.

America, Japan, Canada, Australia, UK all are represented....but not necessarily in the top 30

A young Keanu might show up...an even younger J. Phoenix might as well.

Joel Silver will be represented.....but not sure if both or just one of his films will make the top 30.

Without further ado.....I'll start working on the first few entries.

How is that mathematically possible?  I'm guessing there's a typo between 22 lists were received and 22 films got first place votes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

How is that mathematically possible?  I'm guessing there's a typo between 22 lists were received and 22 films got first place votes

13 films got first place votes. Baumer probably read the "Total" instead of "Number" in excel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Uncle Buck

John Candy, Macaulay Culkin

Directed by John Hughes

Box office:  79 million

Top 5 placements:  2

Number one placement:  0

Quick Synopsis as to why this film resonates with the members here:  The film takes advantage of John Candy's immense talents.  No one could or has since, played the lovable slob better than he could.  John Hughes and Candy had quite the working relationship.  This is just one in a plethora of films that Candy and Hughes worked on together. 

IMDB synopsis:  As an idle, good-natured bachelor, Uncle Buck is the last person you would think of to watch the kids. However, during a family crisis, he is suddenly left in charge of his nephew and nieces. Unaccustomed to suburban life, fun-loving Uncle Buck soon charms his younger relatives Miles and Maizy with his hefty cooking and his new way of doing the laundry. His carefree style does not impress everyone though - especially his rebellious teenage niece, Tia, and his impatient girlfriend, Chanice. With a little bit of luck and a lot of love, Uncle Buck manages to surprise everyone in this heartwarming family comedy.

Critic Opinion:  The little kids -- 8-year-old Miles (Macaulay Culkin) and 6-year-old Maizy (Gaby Hoffman) -- are button-cute and immediate allies of Buck, who is lovable even when threatening Bug with a power drill. Then we see Buck, the kids and the dog nestled in Maizy's small bed -- a mother panda and her cubs couldn't be more endearing. He does look bearish when he dresses down Maizy's vice principal for calling her "a bad egg." Distracted by a large mole on the schoolmarm's chin, he announces, "Hello, I'm Buck Melanoma" in the movie's one truly hilarious scene.

We are otherwise only mildly amused with Candy's antics, and in some ways more intrigued with the grousing Tia, a sulky, lovely girl who, like the middle-aged Buck, is feeling growing pains. Hughes, the master of young adult fiction, seems more engaged by the pimply menace of a teen clique in Zorro drag, haughty rebels who are automatically more interesting than the cotton candy people of the central story....Rita Kempley..Washington Post

User Opinion:  Can't find one.

My opinion:  While not one of Hughes' best or funniest films, it is, like most Hughes films, sweet and endearing and like many of his later films, good fun for the whole family.  The highlight of the film is the exchange between Candy and a pre-Home Alone Culkin.  Macaulay showed his acting chops and his excellent comedic timing in Uncle Buck and it was probably the sole reason Hughes wanted him to play Kevin in Home Alone.  

3b2d875133b4ae8f5ddf7d5d5ca99668.jpg

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Because it is a typo.  :) 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Look Who's Talking

John Travolta, Kirstie Alley, voice of Bruce Willis

Directed by Amy Heckerling

Box office:  297 million

Top 5 Placements:  1

Number One placement:  0

Number of Lists:  8

Quick synopsis as to why it resonates with members here:  This is John Travolta's comeback.  True, it is four years before he did Pulp Fiction, but for all intents and purposes, this is his comeback film.  And as much as critics tried to tear it shreds, it became a hit because it was funny, and at times, very funny.  Sometimes that's all we want our films to be....funny and entertaining.

IMDB synopsis:  Mollie is an accountant who has been having an affair with one of her clients, Albert, who happens to be married. When she becomes pregnant by him, she feels that he will be there always for her and the new baby. But when she gives birth, he breaks it off and Mollie is left to raise a new baby all by herself. She also is searching for the perfect father for her new son, Mikey. She meets James, a swift cab driver, who seems to be a perfect match with her and Mikey. But when Albert comes to her, who will Mollie choose?

Critic Opinion: (this was a very negative review by Peter Travers...but here is one nice thing he said about it)   In one scene, Travolta joins Alley for an impromptu dance and sing-along as Gene Pitney’s “Town Without Pity” blares from a kitchen radio. Travolta seems to be enjoying himself; he’s loose, spontaneous. We’re reminded of what drew us to him before turkeys like Two of a Kind and Staying Alive picked away at our affection. The moment is fleeting, but it indicates that Travolta might deserve yet another chance to salvage his career. 

Commentary:  Look Who's Talking is a bit of a mess in ways.  But what it does have is a good rapport with Kirstie Alley and John Travolta.  They are sweet together and have some nice chemistry.  But when you break it all down and really try to figure out why this film was one of the highest grossing films of the year, and why it placed in our top 30, it must be because of Bruce Willis as the voice of Mikey.  This was a comedy that took a few risks and they paid off handsomely.  It's fairly common for films to have voice overs now for human characters.  It wasn't common at all in 1989.

MV5BYWQzNGM0NjQtODI5MC00ODZjLTgyZDktYWI0 

• Like 14

Well, I thought I had more time tonight.....but that's it for now.....I will get more done hopefully tomorrow but I'm planning to get this done by Labour Day....we'll see.

• Like 3

All Dogs Go To Heaven

Burt Reynolds, Dom Delouise

Directed by Don Bluth and Gary Goldman

Top 5 Placements:  1

Number One placement:  0

Number of Lists:  8

Quick synopsis as to why it resonates with members here:  A canine angel, Charlie, sneaks back to earth from heaven but ends up befriending an orphan girl who can speak to animals. In the process, Charlie learns that friendship is the most heavenly gift of all.  Talking animals always seem to get the members of this site intrigued and pleased.  Unless of course it's from Illumination. But any other studio and they are on board.  

Random imdb user:  I've seen this movie when I was young, and I remembered it as one of the first films I have truly liked that was not an action movie or a comedy. So, in my later years I decided to watch it again and see if it was just nostalgia or was there really something in that movie. To my surprise, the movie held to my every expectations. It's a great movie. Emotional in the right amount, some jokes, nice songs (not great though, and that actually explains why I did not remember it was a musical) and all in all a great use to my time. I was surprised because the last movies from my childhood that I have revisited did not even pass my minimal demands of a decent movie and yet this movie, which I first saw in the second grade, made me cry today just like it made me cry then. Maybe that's because my dog died recently and maybe not, but the important thing is that it made me feel, and that's why filmmakers make films (that and the money, of course). Yes, there are continuity glitches. Yes, the script has holes, but it doesn't matter. The movie itself is fun and smart. So don't be fooled by cynical people who always look for the bad things in life, because nothing is perfect, and this movie gets a 10 not because it is perfect. It gets 10 simply because it made me feel.

ALLDOGS-00AA1-poster_hires.jpg

• Like 12
  • Astonished 1

You know what guys?  I really wanted to do more tonight, but it's 11:30 my time and I just finished a 10 hour shift....I'll do more tomorrow.  A lot more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1