Dead Poet's Society

Starring:  Robin Williams, Ethan Hawke, Robert Sean Leonard

Directed by Peter Weir

Number of Lists:  13

Top Spot:  0

Top 5:  8

Take it away @JJ-8

Dead Poet's Society.

One of the best performances from what is one of my favourite actors of all time.   It's a film I loved when it came out back in 1989 (given i was 12 at the time, I don't think i saw it immediately out of theatres).  It immediately resonated with me.  Especially the pressures of parent expectations which i think really hit home and was so well conveyed in this film.  I just love the first scene when Keating walks into the classroom whistling, walks right through makes a noise and walks out.  All the boys expecting something so different (so used to the pressure they see from the parents, their teachers) from their teacher all look at each other and then he says come on..... and of course Carpe Diem (Seize the Day!).  Of course the ending of the film is something to behold and pulls on the heart strings so much.  And in the words of Walt Whitman, "O Captain, My Captain".  Don't we all wish we had a teacher  like him......

_76897294_dead-poets-society.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

There are four films left.

One is the highest grossing film domestically

Another is the highest grossing film WW

Another is my choice for number one

Another one is from a NY Knicks fan

• Like 3

Just now, tawasal said:

I am getting inspired by your setup and approach to the countdown @baumer

Thank you.  But it came out of necessity.  I wanted to make it like Panda's but I just don't have the time.  His is kind of the gold standard for countdowns.

• Like 1

I'm watching some outstanding tennis at the same time.  Canada's Bianca Andreescu is taking on Belguim's Elise Mertens.  Very very good match right now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thank you.  But it came out of necessity.  I wanted to make it like Panda's but I just don't have the time.  His is kind of the gold standard for countdowns.

I am new to it so no way I will follow Panda's well structured setup. But I really like yours and I could swing an attempt at that. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Dead Poets Society

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Batman

When Harry Met Sally…

4/5

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

There are four films left.

One is the highest grossing film domestically

Another is the highest grossing film WW

Another is my choice for number one

Another one is from a NY Knicks fan

@tawasal Was that clue enough to spoil the missing entrant or not? ;)

(and, yes, said film very very much deserves a Top Five placement)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@tawasal Was that clue enough to spoil the missing entrant or not? ;)

(and, yes, said film very very much deserves a Top Five placement)

I am gonna guess Do The Right Thing. It has been on top 5 of many lists posted in the submission thread. 

Is the NY knicks fan thingy an obvious one with a profile picture or do I have to know the person? cuz I don't remember.

I might have been told before, but I am very forgetful person. 

• Like 2

When Harry Met Sally

Starring:  Billy Crystal, Meg Ryan, Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby

Directed by:  Rob Reiner

Number of Lists:  18

Number one:  2

Top 5:  7

Washington Post:  

"When Harry Met Sally . . ." is a sweet, embraceable comedy, a moonstruck Manhattan romance that, like a Gershwin tune, turns the sighs and glances, the spats and reconciliations, all the cliches of the heart into infectious melody. It's a movie that walks on air.

Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan match wits in this breezy skirmish in the war between the sexes, proving that opposites attract with the spunk of Tracy and Hepburn. Directed by Rob Reiner from Nora Ephron's screenplay, "When Harry Met Sally . . ." is a genial update of that genre. It's an arch '40s screwball comedy set in Woody Allen's neurotic metropolis, where you can still faintly hear the echoes of Fred Astaire's tap shoes.

When Harry (Crystal) meets Sally (Ryan), they have just graduated from the University of Chicago and are sharing a drive to New York -- she to become a journalist, and he, a political consultant. The pushy sexist and the cockeyed feminist fight all night long over everything from her day-of-the-week panties to the plot of "Casablanca." He thinks Bergman should have stayed with Bogart, Sally believes she was wise to leave and probably become the first lady of Czechoslovakia. It's a clear-cut case of "potato-potatah," a love-at-first-sighting that neither acknowledges for the next 11 or so years.

Reiner claims Harry as an extension of his ego, but he's not bragging. Harry is an abrasive pain who believes men and women cannot sustain a friendship because sex ruins everything. A cross between Don Juan and "Annie Hall's" acerbic Alvy Singer, Harry is driven by angst and bewildered by the women who "meow" in his bed. He believes in the worst, always reading the last page of a book first for fear of dying before he gets to the end.

Sally, a persnickety, controlling sort, thinks he is the most obnoxious man she's ever met, every time she meets him over the years. Then one day the planets realign, they bump into each other at a bookstore and go on to become best friends. Now veterans of heart-to-heart combat, they help each other get over lost loves (her beau and his wife, Helen) gabbing on the phone like high school girlfriends.

Their dates -- too gauche, too stuffy, too young -- can't match the joys of their incomparable friendship. Harry confides to another friend, Jess (Bruno Kirby), "When I asked Emily where she was when Kennedy was shot, she said, 'Ted Kennedy was shot?' " Ta-dum follows ta-dum for Harry and Sally -- she's often the appreciative straight woman -- have a million of them.

Ryan is summer's Melanie Griffith -- a honey-haired blonde who finally finds a showcase for her sheer exuberance. Neither naif nor vamp, she's a woman from a pen of a woman, not some Cinderella of a "Working Girl." She's feisty and eccentric and more than holds her own against Crystal's irascible, charming, George Burns nouveau. The excellent supporting cast includes Kirby and Carrie Fisher as the best friends of Harry and Sally who were, likewise, meant to be.

Falling in love with lovers is the meat of "When Harry Met Sally," a movie with a cupidity for couples, including a group of golden oldsters whose documentary-style recollections set off the story's new chapters. ("At that moment I knew, just like you know about a good melon," said one woman of meeting her Mr. Right.) In the hands of Reiner, Hollywood's most realistic romantic, they're rocking-chair sonnets of old love made young.

My Take:  My choice for number one.  Nora Ephron wrote one of the five or ten best scripts of all time imo.  It explores everything when it comes to relationships.  And the actors deliver big time.  For the words to jump off the page, you need the actors to understand them.  In here, they do.  Can you beat some of the lines in this film? As a guy, which I am, I identified with Harry's lines so much, and you can't help but side with him. The chemistry between the two actors, Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan is superb, and you believe in them when they talk, you feel for them when they look at each other. Even the friends are well cast, Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby. It's such relaxed acting and filming that you do nothing but watch these people fall in love, and pretty soon you feel like you're involved as well. With a fantastic soundtrack, direction, script and acting, it's a great film.

"You made a woman meow?"

"Don't fuck with Mr. Zero"

"I'll have what she's having"

" I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

57846-when_harry-mgm.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, tawasal said:

Is the NY knicks fan thingy an obvious one with a profile picture or do I have to know the person? cuz I don't remember.

1*kFl1jWheRhUPAugO4jvIDQ.jpeg

spike-lee-knicks-game-photo-getty_1920.0

SPIKE2-jumbo.jpg

Let's just say someone is not shy when it comes to sporting the colors of the Knicks and leave it at that. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think by now you have figured out the top 3.

What might surprise you is the order they finish.  

I'll get to the top 3 momentarily.  

• Like 2