cannastop

Is it possible for non-American movies to be worldwide blockbusters?

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

One involves just having cable or streaming. The other involves paying lots of money at cinemas. Detective Pikachu this year was a good example of how things that work elsewhere don't necessarily work at the box office.

I think that was just bad luck. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Well are you saying the 21st Century will also be the American century?

Who knows? I would bet on it though. Besides, now you're just getting into complete hypothetical territory and then there's no way to answer your question. Until nations outside NA and Britain are pumping out movies that actually interest audiences worldwide, I would continue to be on worldwide hits only coming out of NA or Britain.

4 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

I think Intouchables was sabotaged in the US by Harvey Wienstein. He wanted to make an english remake lol. 

There are honestly just a few examples so I think it could happen again. But even American movies struggle nowadays unless they are based on a famous IP  and even then it can lead to failures  - MIB, Dora, Godzilla, Pokemon etc.

That make little sense considering he had the market right, would have been more profitable for him to make money from the first release and if Miramax would have not distributed it, who would have ?

The way he talked about it back in the day he really loved that one it and was quite hurt by it's failure

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

That make little sense considering he had the market right, would have been more profitable for him to make money from the first release and if Miramax would have not distributed it, who would have ?

The way he talked about it back in the day he really loved that one it and was quite hurt by it's failure

I read that somewhere. I'm not sure if true. He also bought the rights to make a remake. So it might be possible that he wanted it sabotaged in the US so that he could release the english version. I don't know lol. 

Just now, HeadShot said:

I read that somewhere. I'm not sure if true. He also bought the rights to make a remake. So it might be possible that he wanted it sabotaged in the US so that he could release the english version. I don't know lol. 

how is making sure no one knows about the original good for the remake?

30 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well are you saying the 21st Century will also be the American century?

No. Theres 80 and a half remaining years in this century and thus anything can happen. Im just saying that the american influence in the 20st century in movies grew to an extent that it is to this day dominating worldwide moviegoing. As of right now, i woundt dare to estimate a point in the future, where there could be a major change to that. But it can definetly happen imo.

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

No. Theres 80 and a half remaining years in this century and thus anything can happen. Im just saying that the american influence in the 20st century in movies grew to an extent that it is to this day dominating worldwide moviegoing. As of right now, i woundt dare to estimate a point in the future, where there could be a major change to that. But it can definetly happen imo.

Well if China has cultural hegemony, I anticipate it won't completely take over the USA.

38 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Lord of the Rings was made with majority American actors, I think?

Viggo Mortensen (is born in the US, but as a multilingual lives and works all over the world in a way, Aragon), Liv Tyler (Arwen), Elijah Wood (Frodo), Brad Dourif (Wormtongue), and Sean Astin (Sam) are the only US actors I am sure about, the most actors are from UK, AUS, and NZ.

Out of the producers... only producer Barrie M. Osborne I know he is born in the US, plus the New Line People.

Howard Shore is Canadian, I think he lives in both countries. The orchestras for the score were the ones from London (UK) and NZ.

One of the casting people is based in the US, the others UK, AUS, NZ again.

The most or all of the others (department leads and the crew/staff) are see actors, with more weight on AUS & NZ (as in NZ an unusual huge part of them)

I think a few of the stunt people might be from the US too, not sure, all of the many many others are not form the US.

= beside the money and I guess less than 1%, nope, not an US cast & crew.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

That is true:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-untouchable/weinstein-co-to-remake-french-film-untouchable-idUSTRE7676V520110708

And the summer right after it failed a Paul Feig remake project started, so maybe.

But the Intouchables didn't do much better (if at all/not worst) in the UK and English Canada where they were not distributed by them and I see no indication in what way the release was any different than an Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain and how it got sabotaged.

1 hour ago, Parasite said:

Skam had at least three remakes in European countries. 

That usually a sign that the original didn't play that well in those market no ? (Or that it became popular after the remake project started), would be hard and strange to sell to audience a remake of an show they already watched.

Another major factor is the difference in cinema ticket prices around the world, with developing countries (as well as newly industrialized countries) having lower ticket prices than developed countries, due to lower currency value, less average income and lower living costs.[4] A number of Chinese, Indian and Soviet films are estimated to have sold more than 100 million tickets at the box office,[5][6][7] but at relatively low ticket prices compared to Hollywood films,[5][8] thus limiting the amount of gross revenue generated.[5] As of 2017, the average cinema ticket price was $8.97 in the United States,[9] compared to CN¥35 ($5.10) in China[10] and ₹183.70 ($2.82) in India.[11]

The world's largest markets in terms of box office admissions are India, then China, and then the United States.[12] The former Soviet Union (before it dissolved in 1991) was a similarly large box office market,[13] with relatively lower ticket prices than North America due to lower living costs.[8] Indian Bollywood films had a large overseas audience in the Soviet Union between the 1950s and 1980s,[14] and were significantly more popular than Hollywood films there,[15][16] while several Bollywood films were also popular in China during that era.[17]

I think its a question of e.g. when (= incl past), and see the ticket prices, a when (= in the future), like when the prices will balance out, then I guess the top BO of the year will look not the same.

When in the past, see quote, but also, where to draw the line, as in in which year should which amount seen as a blockbuster?

Certain genres always tend to earn more, others less amounts....

Out of the 'younger' movies I still consider Life Is Beautiful a huge success. The Italian movie made 'only' #20 of the all year chart here in Germany, but it tells not only a story of the past (what a lot of people wont watch), it's out of the Nazi times, I think even more difficult here, as its telling the POV of victims (even if in an atypical way) = in my POV for that kind of material a huge ww BO (and am not sure if what's to see at BOM is even correct, the movie had a ~ 2.5 years spread out release (or worse, not sure), I question at least some of the BOM data for movies like that, especially at a bit more than average tends to drip in for years for those kind of movies per all over the world.

Another detail they seems to slow down the non-English movies is, see the posts others already made, the unwillingness of in especial Americans to watch dubbed or per subtitles, and....... :

to many movies per country already, the US produces too many too, see one of the major reasons the smaller movies, indies,... do not get good results = gA is the carrier of the huge blockbuster hits, GA watches ~ 3-4 movies a year (some only 1), how would they even get aware about a great movie from country XY, if they do not even know which locally made movies are actual released / will soon be released =

I think if a reduction per years will happen (what I doubt, see streaming now too takes away chances for a BO success for a part 1 movie), then maybe.

What I can imagine is, if a movie gets big per streaming or TV (incl repeats), the part ??? movie of a team or whatever could have a chance for worldwide high placement.

If, then probably if its either telling an universal story, is really special, or aimed at people who tend to use the Internet more than the average.