Eric Duncan

IT: CHAPTER TWO WEEKEND THREAD | 91M DOM, 94M OS, 185M WW | Read first post for rules

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Um, only 3 or their films got positive reviews this year. 

But yeh Disney is having a big year with its sequels and remakes. I don’t think they’ll be able to repeat it. We’ll see, challenge is on. 

The yearly box office is still down anyway. So despite that one studios big year, it’s not a banner year for box office so, overall meh. 

now imagine the box office without the Disney domination this year. the yearly % would've taken a huge nosedive.

I know less people are going to the movies every year but at least the Disney movies keep that negative % low enough to give the idea that the box office is healthy. 

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 1

Y'all know the box office would be even more barren (much more so, in fact) than it's been without Disney's nostalgia-flavored blockbusters, right? Feel like a lot of people here slept on that New York Times article interviewing several key industry members (including actors, directors, producers, etc.) from earlier this summer about the crisis that's currently facing theatrical distribution.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/20/movies/movie-industry-future.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

limit the...audience's interest in

How is Disney limiting the audience’s interest in certain movies or even responsible for it if something like that is happening? It’s not like cultural shifts happen or general audiences gravitate towards different types of genres in entertainment every few decades or so. No no, that doesn’t happen at all. It’s all Disney magic at work making audiences lose interest in or dislike certain movies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2019 at 9:10 PM, Eric! said:

2. KEEP YOUR AGENDA OUT OF HERE. We get it. Disney is the epitome of evil, are destroying cinema, and Bob Iger/Alan Horn/Kathleen Kennedy is the spawn of Satan. The Rise of Skywalker is gonna bomb because Ruin Johnson destroyed the franchise. James Cameron is the true box office king. Yadda yadda yadda.

When your no-agenda rule shows your agenda. :hahaha:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Or the whole box office will just decline massively next year. people aren't just magically going to go to the movies to see anything if there's no interest.  

That's why you have to wait and see. This is a pretty unprecedented year at the box office. It's really hard to make any definitive declarations. 

I'd say that WW 1984 is a stronger brand than anything release by non Disney studios this year, so that's a positive. 

I personally think the value proposition of a theatre outing remains, so I imagine audiences will still go out to see films. Whether the other studios can take advantage and compete with the mouse is the question. 

What happens if the GA gets tired of remakes? Or the MCU? Or Star Wars? Diversity is good for all Studios, I’ve liked the majority of Disney’s films this year but how is that them only doing well not a troubling thing?

• Like 1