Eric Atreides

IT: CHAPTER TWO WEEKEND THREAD | 91M DOM, 94M OS, 185M WW | Read first post for rules

27 minutes ago, Nero said:

Slop 2

23 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

The other 2 are Alice through the Looking Glass and Independence Day Resurgence (if you even count that).

oof great examples.

slop2 365+ to 155+

alice2 takes the cake unadjusted but if you were to adjust for inflation has to be idr.

these don't qualify according to the original post's criteria but worthy mentions:

jp1 and jp2 also were big drops, 355+ to 225+.

ff7 to ff8 was a huge drop too.

big fat greek wedding

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 My Big Fat Greek Wedding IFC $241,438,208 2,016 $597,362 108 4/19/02
2 My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 Uni. $59,689,605 3,179 $17,861,950 3,133 3/25/16

Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Release
1 My Big Fat Greek Wedding IFC $373,189,500 $241,438,208 4/19/02
2 My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 Uni. $62,061,700 $59,689,605 3/25/16
Edited by a2k

the-numbers.com write-up...

It: Chapter Two earned $10.5 million during its previews last night. This is the second best previews in September, behind the original It, which earned $13.5 million. I was expecting the gap to be a closer than that. If the two films had the same legs, then Chapter Two would earn $96 million over the full weekend. However, this is probably asking too much for a number of reasons. Firstly, sequels tend to have shorter legs. Secondly, this film’s reviews are weaker than the reviews earned by the first film. Finally, previews for Chapter Two started two hours earlier than they did for the first film, starting at 5 pm instead of 7 pm. Warner Bros. is projecting an opening weekend of $85 million based on this result, but studios tend to underestimate these things so it looks like the movie overperformed. I think just over $90 million is more likely.

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/241340830-Thursday-Night-Previews-It-Slips-Still-on-Pace-for-Monster-Opening

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

The other 2 are Alice through the Looking Glass and Independence Day Resurgence (if you even count that).

Looking Glass is still one of the funniest box office grosses ever. Its final gross was lower than the first film's first two days. It took a whole week for Looking Glass to go over the first film's opening day. Mia Wasikazoo is a legend

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

We live in an Age where a $90m OW for a Rated R Horror Movie is 'not amazing', lol.

It’s clearly a great opening for the genre and MPAA rating in a vacuum, but it’s understandable that people get their expectations anchored a bit by the predecessor.    

And FWIW 90M OW nowadays is equivalent to about 54M OW a decade ago, so there really is a strong element of “the times they are a changing” about how impressive certain raw numbers are.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

I am now watching it chapter two for the second time in 24 hours. I'm enjoying it much more today than I did last night. This is the exact same thing that happened to me when I saw the original movie as well. I went in today just to watch it as a movie and not comparing it to the book. I just have to accept the fact that I am way too close to the book material and I have to ignore everything that I know about the book LOL. The movie works much much better that way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s clearly a great opening for the genre and MPAA rating in a vacuum, but it’s understandable that people get their expectations anchored a bit by the predecessor.    

And FWIW 90M OW nowadays is equivalent to about 54M OW a decade ago, so there really is a strong element of “the times they are a changing” about how impressive certain raw numbers are.

Is it? I just put Aladdin and FFH in BOM's adjusting machine, and that translated to about 75M for the both of them.

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I am now watching it chapter two for the second time in 24 hours. I'm enjoying it much more today than I did last night. This is the exact same thing that happened to me when I saw the original movie as well. I went in today just to watch it as a movie and not comparing it to the book. I just have to accept the fact that I am way too close to the book material and I have to ignore everything that I know about the book LOL. The movie works much much better that way.

I figured if you saw it a second time you would come around more for this movie.  :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric! said:

Is it? I just put Aladdin and FFH in BOM's adjusting machine, and that translated to about 75M for the both of them.

OWs grow faster than general ticket inflation as moviegoing habits become more frontloaded. 90M is 76th place today and consulting the wayback machine 76th place was 53-54 in July 09 and 54.16 in Oct 09.  

http://web.archive.org/web/20091010204959/http://www.boxofficemojo.com:80/alltime/weekends  

vs  

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

Edited by Thanos Legion

15 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

OWs grow faster than general ticket inflation as moviegoing habits become more frontloaded. 90M is 76th place today and consulting the wayback machine 76th place was 53-54 in July 09 and 54.16 in Oct 09.  

http://web.archive.org/web/20091010204959/http://www.boxofficemojo.com:80/alltime/weekends  

vs  

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

I'm not sure if that automatically means It 2 would have done 54M if it came out in 2009.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eric! said:

I'm not sure if that automatically means It 2 would have done 54M if it came out in 2009.

Well yeah, it definitely doesn’t automatically mean that. That’s not what I’m trying to say, either. There’s no real way to evaluate any of these “how much would X movie make OW/total if it came out Y years earlier/later” type of counterfactuals, just got to make some approximations and live the fuzziness.  

A 90M opening this weekend would be behind 75 OWs, so I’d say it’s approximately as strong/impressive as opening behind 75 other OWs in another year — whether that be 2014 (69.3M), 2009 (54M), 2004 (40M), 2002 (29.5M), or 2024 (~125M? Maybe?).

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • ...wtf 1

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

I’ve never read the book and I can’t remember what happened in the second half of the TV movie so I’m going in completely blind! Starts in 30 mins.

33 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

And FWIW 90M OW nowadays is equivalent to about 54M OW a decade ago.

I think that comparison has been pulled out of thin air, no offence. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think that comparison has been pulled out of thin air, no offence.

None taken, but that’s completely not the case. It was an extremely numerically driven comparison.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Disbelief 1