Cap

Top 50 Musicals! FYC Closed! Final List Goes Up CATS OW!

On 10/7/2019 at 1:42 PM, Nerfy said:

FYC:

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzUKcXxbU4U

Also, most of the musicals I have watched are Bollywood so I'll post some of my favorites in case anyone wants to watch them, and I'm hoping for suggestions of some others to watch, because I have not kept up with the more modern ones.

Om Shanti Om - Homage/Satire of musicals and Bollywood film industry

Reveal hidden contents

Main Hoon Na - (action-comedy)

Reveal hidden contents

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham... - Family melodrama

Reveal hidden contents

I haven't actually seen this one yet, but I'm going to have to watch it after seeing this musical number:

Bajirao Mastani - Historical epic

I totally forgot to Include popstar making my list

5 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

It will (hopefully) if you send me a list!

I will, but I must uphold the mighty forum traditions and not send in any list until less than 24 hours before the final final deadline :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

I do hope Bollywood makes the list in some capacity. 

Ooh I was not gonna submit a list as I havent seen a lot of musicals (outside disney animations) but if I can include Bollywood/indian then I can definitely make a list. 

All Indian peeps and those who see Bollywood movies, I hope you guys submit a list as well. @Charlie Jatinder @grim22 @marveldcfox @lorddemaxus @a2k @Nero @SURAJ @oMeriMombatti @Steven @Lordmandeep @NamakFiskKa @Premium George @Sunny Max @CoolK @druv10 @THUNDER BIRD

Movies like

- Mughal e Azam, Maine Pyaar Kiya, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, Bombay, Dil Chahta Hai, Rang De Basanti, Aashique, Kabhi Kabhi, Dil se, DDLJ, Hum Dil de chuke sanam, rock-on

and many others really deserve a place on this list. So I hope you guys submit a list

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

20 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

I will, but I must uphold the mighty forum traditions and not send in any list until less than 24 hours before the final final deadline :) 

baby hat GIF

21 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Ooh I was not gonna submit a list as I havent seen a lot of musicals (outside disney animations) but if I can include Bollywood/indian then I can definitely make a list. 

All Indian peeps and those who see Bollywood movies, I hope you guys submit a list as well. @Charlie Jatinder @grim22 @marveldcfox @lorddemaxus @a2k @Nero @SURAJ @oMeriMombatti @Steven @Lordmandeep @NamakFiskKa @Premium George @Sunny Max @CoolK @druv10 @THUNDER BIRD

Movies like

- Mughal e Azam, Maine Pyaar Kiya, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, Bombay, Dil Chahta Hai, Rang De Basanti, Aashique, Kabhi Kabhi, Dil se, DDLJ, Hum Dil de chuke sanam, rock-on

and many others really deserve a place on this list. So I hope you guys submit a list

Big ones for me are

Kal ho na ho

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

Dil Se

Lagaan

Dil Chahta Hai

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Movies like

I am not sure if those are musicals..most of them are romantic and family dramas. 

Rock on , rock star maybe..

Could you clarify what exactly we are looking for while preparing the list. 

9 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I am not sure if those are musicals..most of them are romantic and family dramas. 

Yes they are family dramas and romantic movies but that doesnt mean they arent musicals. I agree that in many bollywood movies the songs are there just for the sake of being there but in many movies they do serve a purpose. 

For example many of the songs in Hum Aapke Hain Kaun are tied to the story of the movie and progress the movie along. In a movie like Mughal E Azam, a song like “Pyaar kiya to darna kya” is an important part of the movie. A song like Tadap Tadap ke from Hum dil de chuke sanam is important and progresses the story forward. 

I am sure you can find many many such examples in a lot of movies. 

But here is what the OP had to say about eligibility

Eligible:

- Live Action Musicals (i.e. The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz)

- Animated Musicals (i.e The Little Mermaid or South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut)

- Jutebox Musicals (i.e. Tommy, Across The Universe)

- Jukebox Musicals Starring Musicians (i.e. A Hard Day’s Night, Purple Rain)

- Musicals BioPics (i.e. Yankee Doodle Dandy, Funny Girl)

- Non-Hollywood Musicals (i.e. Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Aashiqui)

- Feature Length Made-For-TV Movie Musicals (i.e. Brandy's Cinderella, High School Musical)

I’m defining Musicals as:

- Character sings and/or dances in scene;

- The songs and/or choreography are a significant part of the film;

- The musical numbers are essential to the character’s emotional development and/or plot progression of the story/media.

I think those criteria means that a lot of bollywood movies will qualify

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Singing. Dancing. Emotions. Does the movie have that?  If so, it’s a musical at its core. And more than one musical number! 

I confess I am not as versed in Bollywood Musical history as I am Hollywood, so I can’t make any movie to movie rulings unless someone links me. (I will watch it. I plan to watch/rewatch all of the Top 50 before the list)

Hope that helps:

Singing. Dancing. Emoting.

7 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Singing. Dancing. Emotions. Does the movie have that?  If so, it’s a musical at its core. And more than one musical number! 

I confess I am not as versed in Bollywood Musical history as I am Hollywood, so I can’t make any movie to movie rulings unless someone links me. (I will watch it. I plan to watch/rewatch all of the Top 50 before the list)

Hope that helps:

Singing. Dancing. Emoting.

Yes all the movies ZeeSoh mentioned do fall in that category. The song sequences are pretty long too (which is what makes it great). Do watch Bollywood movies they are great maybe you'll love some.

4 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Movies like

4 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Big ones for me are

Kal ho na ho

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

Dil Se

Lagaan

Dil Chahta Hai

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

1 hour ago, Nero said:

Yes all the movies ZeeSoh mentioned do fall in that category. The song sequences are pretty long too (which is what makes it great). Do watch Bollywood movies they are great maybe you'll love some.

Everyone decide on a couple to vote for. Maybe Mughal E Azam and DDLJ or something. We all vote for those 2 at top to get Bollywood into the list

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Everyone decide on a couple to vote for. Maybe Mughal E Azam and DDLJ or something. We all vote for those 2 at top to get Bollywood into the list

There are many good musicals in bollywood, but i feel the best packaged musicals with romance, drama, emotions are -

1. Aashiqui

2. Hum Aapke Hai Kaun

3. Dil toh Pagal Hai

4. Taal

5. Rock on

Taal is severly underrated.

@ZeeSoh @chasmmi @Nero 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Just need to post a list, right? No need of rankings and explanations?

You need to PM your list for it to count. 

As for write ups, that is 100% up to you. I did say if you wanted to do your top 5 or 10 that would be nice too. 

44 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Just need to post a list, right? No need of rankings and explanations?

You need to send a list to captainwondyful by PM. The list should be at least 15 entries long (max 50). The lists should be ranked from 1st onwards. There is no need for explanations, although you can write your comments/feelings for 1 or more movie which could be included when Captain reveals the ranking. 

41 minutes ago, grim22 said:

26 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

There are many good musicals in bollywood, but i feel the best packaged musicals with romance, drama, emotions are -

1. Aashiqui

2. Hum Aapke Hai Kaun

3. Dil toh Pagal Hai

4. Taal

5. Rock on

Taal is severly underrated.

@ZeeSoh @chasmmi @Nero 

If I had to pick a few amongst the thousands I’d go with something like

1) Hum Aapke Hain Kaun

2) Mughal E Azam

3 Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge

4) Dil Chahta Hai

5) Dil Se

6) Hum dil de chuke sanam

7) Taal

8. Dil toh Pagal Hai

9) Aashique

10) Rock On

I will definitely be including these in my top 15-20. 

• Thanks 2

I get the feeling that most Indian films would be eligible for this list. I've only ever seen two Indian films: 3 Idiots and Sholay. Both are just as much musicals as some Hollywood fare that will make it, and I'll include both on my list.

• Like 1