Cap

Top 50 Musicals! FYC Closed! Final List Goes Up CATS OW!

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Sitting here sighing heavily every time I remember that animation is eligible. 

They've easily been the best original musicals out of Hollywood in the last 30 years.

Now allowing High School Musical 1-3 or voting for Matthew Broderick's Music Man over the sublime Preston original -  that's an abomination. :ph34r:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They've easily been the best original musicals out of Hollywood in the last 30 years.

Now allowing High School Musical 1-3 or voting for Matthew Broderick's Music Man over the sublime Preston original -  that's an abomination. :ph34r:

I mean the top 25 CBM list was full of MCU films, so why can’t we have High School Musical in the top 50?

I easily agree with the first part though.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 6:43 PM, TalismanRing said:

voting for Matthew Broderick's Music Man over the sublime Preston original -  that's an abomination. :ph34r:

:hahaha:

That's honestly why I used that as an example, because it is the worst.  IDGAF that it was done at the HEIGHT The Producer's hooplah and Broderick was a popular "song and dance" man.  Shame.  Shame for wasting Kristen Chenoweth and Victor Garber on that nonsense. SHAAAME.

=

I'm going to try and stay out of the FYCs, but I will say this.  I will God Warrior Preston's Music Man until my dying breath.  It's going #3 on my List.  It feels like you're watching a Trickster God on screen, and with every flick of his fingers the town's falling more and more under his spell.  He is AMAZING in it.

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1

The previous list is terrible, mostly for being absurdly Disney heavy. Hopefully this list corrects some of that.

If you need to catch up on really good musicals, here are some great options:

Fiddler on the Roof Poster

The Blues Brothers Poster

Cabaret Poster

Edited by Tower
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Complete List of MGM Musicals

I love these pre-code titles :lol:

Free & Easy
Children of Pleasure
In Gay Madrid
They Learned About Women
Call Of The Flesh
Love In The Rough
Madam Satan
A Lady's Morals

The Mexican title for SOUND OF MUSIC during its original release was THE REBEL NUN. :lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Eric! said:

I have no idea what this is, but that sounds like the greatest movie ever made.

0e55fc82_6113_475f_9c01_7d124a7d0a31.jpe

Madam Satan is a 1930 musical comedy film, directed by Cecil B. DeMille.

The absurdly rich Angela and Bob Brooks (their house has a pipe organ!) are experiencing marital difficulties. Angela believes that being married means one has to settle into a life of responsible domesticity, while Bob, for his part, misses the madcap Angela of old and their former passion. Bob, as a result, has taken a mistress.

After finding out that her husband is cheating on her, Angela does not kick him in the balls and then head to Reno for a divorce. No, Angela comes up with an elaborate plan to seduce her husband and reignite the sparks in their marriage. A plan that involves a blimp, an elaborate masked ball on said blimp, and a masked Angela disguised as the scantily clad "Madam Satan". Really.

Typical of the sex farces that were a hallmark of The Pre-Code Era. Atypical of the rest of Cecil. B. DeMille's career, as in years to come he would move away from comedies like this one, in favor of making big-budged spectacles.

When folks say "They don't make them like they used to" they weren't kidding! 

EDIT:::

Sexless Marriage: It would appear that Bob and Angela are no longer bonking.

Bob: I crave warm affection, and all I get is frozen justice.

(The trope descriptions on the page are WILD!!)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Can I just say thank you for making a well explained posts with the rules clearly laid out, and the resources is great - really, thank you. Half the battle with these lists is finding which eligible movies you've seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Avatree said:

Can I just say thank you for making a well explained posts with the rules clearly laid out, and the resources is great - really, thank you. Half the battle with these lists is finding which eligible movies you've seen.

7Qt7.gif

A lot of it were resources I was using to prepare myself for the list.  Seemed weird not to share!

14 hours ago, Tower said:

Are films based on classical music (not as just soundtrack but actually playing in the film) with no singing eligible (for example Amadeus or The Red Shoes)?

Yes!

Amadeus would fall until musician/musical biopic, and we've already talked about why we're letting those in.

The Red Shoes would count because it's a ballet.

I think what's really important when asking "does this movie count" is: can the film NOT exist without the musical number(s)?  If you take out that element does the film's structure and essence fundamentally change? If the answer is yes, I would say it's not a musical.

For example, a couple less traditional example:

Dirty Dancing.  No one in that movie sings the songs, yet all the songs are so deliberately chosen it feels like it does.  The dance sequences work to reveal character and provide catharsis.  Like, what would Dirty Dancing be without Time of My Life?  What a terrible thought.

Whereas, Pulp Fiction, which also has a super cool soundtrack and a super cool dance number, isn't a musical because you can take out that Mia Wallace and Vincent Vega bit and it'd still be the same movie.  He could've taken her to that restaurant, and they could have... I know, rode a mechanical bull, or re-enacted the Seven Year Itch.  Cool Scene.  Not essential to the overall film.

ETA

@TalismanRing pointed out the original AFI Ballot was a bad link (DAMN YOU, AFI.  That was working like TWO DAYS AGO).

Here is the new one: https://www.filmsite.org/afigreatestmusicalsnoms.html

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

For example, a couple less traditional example:

Dirty Dancing.  No one in that sings the songs, yet all the songs are so deliberately chosen it feels like it does.  The dance sequences work to reveal character and provide catharsis.  Like, what would Dirty Dancing be without Time of My Life?  What a terrible thought.

Whereas, Pulp Fiction, which also has a super cool soundtrack and a super cool dance number, isn't a musical because you can take out that Mia Wallace and Vincent Vega bit and it'd still be the same movie.  He could've taken her to that restaurant, and they could have... I know, rode a mechanical bull, or re-enacted the Seven Year Itch.  Cool Scene.  Not essential to the overall film.

According to those examples to me Bedknobs and Broomsticks would be eligible.

= Because all those sung magic spells, the explanation of the 'special street', the diving deep (in double meaning) into the magical under sea world and so on. it seems to be a part of the magical part of the movie?

11 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

According to those examples to me Bedknobs and Broomsticks would be eligible.

= Because all those sung magic spells, the explanation of the 'special street', the diving deep (in double meaning) into the magical under sea world and so on. it seems to be a part of the magical part of the movie?

Go for it! Who am I to say no to Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson.   

12 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Go for it! Who am I to say no to Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson.   

As you excluded filmed stage production I am not sure if I'll get 15 together, I am not an in general into musical gal 😉

Only bcs I am curious, do you know the movie?