PanaMovie

JOKER OS THREAD // 738.5M OS // 1.074B WW

Great improvement from Joker should lead to a decent opening here in New Zealand. 

Albany Event Cinemas -Joker opening day (Thur 3/10/2019) 3 days before release

11:15am 14/216

12:30pm GC 5/40

12:45pm 27/364

2:00pm 14/216

3:15pm GC 2/40

3:30pm 29/364

4:45pm 22/216

5:30pm GC 5/30

6:00pm GC 30/40

6:15pm 103/364

7:30pm 60/216

8:15pm 25/216

8:15 GC 23/30

8:45pm GC 26/40

9:00pm 61/364

Total 446/2756 (16.18%) 

Comps

24.36% of TLK (sold 1831tickets at same point) which would be a $1.24m opening weekend.

88.84% of It Chapter 2 (sold 502tickets at the same point) which would be a $803,082 opening weekend.

150.68% of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (sold 296 tickets at the same point) which would be a $1.24m opening weekend. 

Great improve,net from Joker all the comps improved, although the IT 2 comp is still a little worrisome, hopefully this momentum continues to walkups. A bunch of showtimes were addd and evening sessions are probing particularly strong with earlier showings needing some foot traffic to improve overall numbers. 

If I had to guess a number I think Joker will come in around $900,000 for the weekend judging by comps and how they have improved over the last couple of days. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/1/2019 at 3:12 PM, peludo said:

3 days to release

Fri-Sun presales

FFH: 1,282 tickets

TLK: 1,916

Joker: 959

Presales are picking up. Joker is at a 75% of FFH and 50% of TLK at the same point. Applying the same proportion, it would mean about €3m OW.

To put into context, it would be in the same league than Suicide Squad, Venom, GOTG2 or Deadpool 2 (all of them opened to 3-3.2 million), and over Aquaman, Black Panther or Logan (2.3-2.6 million range).

2 days to release (biggest Spain theater)

Fri-Sun presales

FFH: 1,474 tickets

TLK: 2,517

Joker: 1,483

Joker has matched Far from home presales at the same point (FFH just had 2,000 seats available per day until the day before of release. Joker has over 3,300 seats per day).

We'll see what's the increase tomorrow to compare fairly, since FFH got 6,000 seats per each day of the weekend the day before release.

Anyway, Joker has already showtimes over 50% full on Friday, and over 25% on Saturday.

Beyond that, critics here are very good and initial score in the main and more trustable Spanish web to vote films (https://www.filmaffinity.com/es/film520214.html) is excellent.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

On 10/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, peludo said:

2 days to release (biggest Spain theater)

Fri-Sun presales

FFH: 1,474 tickets

TLK: 2,517

Joker: 1,483

Joker has matched Far from home presales at the same point (FFH just had 2,000 seats available per day until the day before of release. Joker has over 3,300 seats per day).

We'll see what's the increase tomorrow to compare fairly, since FFH got 6,000 seats per each day of the weekend the day before release.

Anyway, Joker has already showtimes over 50% full on Friday, and over 25% on Saturday.

Beyond that, critics here are very good and initial score in the main and more trustable Spanish web to vote films (https://www.filmaffinity.com/es/film520214.html) is excellent.

1 day to release (biggest Spain theater)

Fri-Sun presales

FFH: 2,655 tickets (45 showtimes)

TLK: 2,517 (yesterday I commited a mistake. 2 days before release TLK was at 1,916) (66 showtimes)

Joker: 2,420 (47 showtimes)

OW (Fri-Sun)

FFH: €4m

TLK: €6.4m

Joker: ???

TLK was released on Thursday, so Fri-Sun number is a bit tricky.

FFH was nearly a 10% higher in presales. Following that proportion, Joker would open to €3.6m. But I still think this can have better walk-ups than Spidey. I do not dare to say it will open way higher, but...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, peludo said:

Fri-Sun presales

TLK: 2,517 (yesterday I commited a mistake. 2 days before release TLK was at 1,916) (66 showtimes)

OW (Fri-Sun)

FFH was nearly a 10% higher in presales. Following that proportion, Joker would open to €3.6m. But I still think this can have better walk-ups than Spidey. I do not dare to say it will open way higher, but...

Past Golden Lion winners have made a killing in Spain. It was the 3rd highest grossing region for both Brokeback Mountain and The Shape of Water and the 4th highest grossing for The Wrestler. The Venice platform will give Joker a very nice boost in Europe, Spain and Italy in particular (though in the examples of past Golden Lion Winners, Spain outgrossed Italy in each case). Its not a big sample to be sure, but it helps highlight the importance of Venice as a platform 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For what its worth, I just completely shocked myself looking at seating charts for Joker in Switzerland (can be found on Cineman.ch). Joker doesnt release in the German part until the 9th, but most theaters across the canton Zurich are about 40% filled (there are seating charts for each theater). Switzerland may be one of the least presale heavy (most walk up heavy) countries in the world, in part because they never seem to get hyped about anything, let alone movies, but they are hyped about Joker. It truly is remarkable. Switz BO falls in line with Germany and France. I know this is very anecdotal, but I haven't seen such strong early sales since Endgame here in Switz (not that I expect Joker to do AEG numbers, but Joker is clearly going to be a box office force here)

Edited by Justin4125
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, Justin4125 said:

Past Golden Lion winners have made a killing in Spain. It was the 3rd highest grossing region for both Brokeback Mountain and The Shape of Water and the 4th highest grossing for The Wrestler. The Venice platform will give Joker a very nice boost in Europe, Spain and Italy in particular (though in the examples of past Golden Lion Winners, Spain outgrossed Italy in each case). Its not a big sample to be sure, but it helps highlight the importance of Venice as a platform 

Sure. Spain uses to like a lot awarded films. Green Book grossed a similar amount to some Marvel films, for example.

To see that a not easy film like Joker having the same presales than Spider-man makes me think we can see a very special run here...

Edited by peludo

20 hours ago, peludo said:

Fri-Sun presales

OW (Fri-Sun)

Final presales Spain (biggest theater of the country):

FFH: 3,820 tickets

Joker: 3,705 tickets

Critics here are extremely good, way better than what we see in RT.

IMO, Joker is opening over FFH (€4m) and Captain Marvel (€4.1m), talking about other similar films released this year.

Talkin about DC, Suicide Squad opened to €2.9m, for reference.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

12 hours ago, pepsa said:

I really hope the movie breaks out.  Silently hoping for 1B but let's be real anything over $600m WW is great.

One day, an R rated movie will make 1B but as others said no dice without Middle Kingdom (and it wouldn't post big numbers there anyway cause low on action).