PanaMovie

JOKER OS THREAD // 738.5M OS // 1.074B WW

Friday - Japan

Joker drop around 26.5 % compared to last week. Same range of drop like yesterday. Hopefully next day will have better drop. Also win by 71% over Gemini and 76% over Mal 2. 

Also in Argentina it's already for Thu-Fri, Joker drop 35% from LW. If Brazil also drop in this range and UK not dropping in >45% drop. Joker seems set to drop in 45% from LW OS . SK, Germany, France and Italy seems doing better than expected ( 30-40% drop). Spain possibly drop 50% but will recover in Mon-Wed.

So barring any steep drop in rest of Europe and Asia. Safe to say Joker won't drop in >50% range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Saturday - Japan

Well.. Well.. Great day for Joker, dropping just 22.5% from LW, better than yesterday in terms of drop and also by very tiny margin admission total. It could be very very close for Saturday and Sunday number. Usually Saturday is 5% bigger than Sunday. Looking at 25% drop over the weekend for Joker.

Argentina also had a great Saturday number dropping just 20% from previous Saturday and for Thu-Sat just 27.4% decrease over LW.

With Germany, Italy, France, SK and UK having less than 40% drop. Even though Rest of Asia market a bit crumbling and drop harder than European market, these big market still enough I guess to make weekend drop number much closer to 40 than 45%.

Edited by RJ 95
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

40 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

Nice 80.2m weekly (Mon-Sun), only drop 38.6 on the weekend, 41% for whole week and 41.4% for midweek. Impressive hold.

Again above expectation, Rest of Europe must be still dropping in 20-40% area .That drop certainly unsustainable if they don't because many Asia market apart of Japan and SK, dropping >45%.

That's the beauty when your best market in Europe. 675m finish looks like very doable. Also good news that next weekend might be even crazier because Friday holiday in some parts of Europe.

Edited by RJ 95
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Billion is a big possibility now but will take a while to get there. Will be dragged along for the last 20-30M

Yeah, it definitely held better than I was anticipating. The UK, France - and probably a few Latin American markets - really picking up the slack for the accelerated drops in Asia.

It's a very good sign for the billion. If it does get to 980 or so and the tank is empty, WB are 100% expanding for awards push, to drag it over the line. The question now is will it stall closer to 960 than 980?

Judging most of the country have Terminator this week, it is safe to say terminator has little impact on Joker international's gross.

With lack of international juggernaut in November, i doubt Dr sleep or Charlie Angels can pull big number, the next biggest competition will be Frozen in the end of Nov. And frozen 2 won't have any direct impact beside taking away the screens as both films don't share the same demo. I would say that the next true competitor will be SW9 in Dec.    

1b is closer and closer

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yeah, it definitely held better than I was anticipating. The UK, France - and probably a few Latin American markets - really picking up the slack for the accelerated drops in Asia.

It's a very good sign for the billion. If it does get to 980 or so and the tank is empty, WB are 100% expanding for awards push, to drag it over the line. The question now is will it stall closer to 960 than 980?

Yeah. What's interesting is that i looked up WW All Time charts (thanks to Box Office Mojo)

and the highest finish without breaking 1B is 970M!

• Thanks 1

Its BO is dominated by leggy markets which can sustain multiple movies. Plus as @titanic2187 said market is barren. So I am surprised by all the plod to 1B. It will easily coast past 1B. Take germany, it had ok hold bcos weather was good. Next weekend if weather is typical german weather, then it will have crazy hold. Plus with holiday help I am thinking drop close to 30% next weekend. Similar I am thinking another 55m domestic after this to beat BvS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Its BO is dominated by leggy markets which can sustain multiple movies. Plus as @titanic2187 said market is barren. So I am surprised by all the plod to 1B. It will easily coast past 1B. Take germany, it had ok hold bcos weather was good. Next weekend if weather is typical german weather, then it will have crazy hold. Plus with holiday help I am thinking drop close to 30% next weekend. Similar I am thinking another 55m domestic after this to beat BvS.

Yup, Europe will have crazy hold next WE. Also weekdays in Spain alone will be good enough to add 1.3-1.5m alone because Mon-Wed discount days. 

Lastly I almost forget. Next weekend Japan barring any big loss of screen and seats will have fantastic hold because November 4th, Monday is holiday. So evening business will be much stronger than normal Sunday.

Edited by RJ 95
  • Thanks 1

Update Country breakdown

Some of those number is really crazy though, hope WB doesn't overestimate it. I mean...

-Spain 2.4m, only 30% drop despite next Mon-Wed discount days.

-Japan 3.1m ???, Ahh they must include Friday too. C'mon Screendaily, it's only Sat-Sun weekend in Japan.

-France 5.5m,  just 24% drop !!. Reasonable I forgot it got 7.2m LW. Sorry..

https://www.screendaily.com/box-office/maleficent-2-nears-300m-after-83m-global-box-office-session/5144153.article

Edited by RJ 95
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • ...wtf 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:36 AM, RJ 95 said:

Update Country breakdown

Some of those number is really crazy though, hope WB doesn't overestimate it. I mean...

-Spain 2.4m, only 30% drop despite next Mon-Wed discount days.

-Japan 3.1m ???, Ahh they must include Friday too. C'mon Screendaily, it's only Sat-Sun weekend in Japan.

-France 5.5m,  just 18% drop !!

https://www.screendaily.com/box-office/maleficent-2-nears-300m-after-83m-global-box-office-session/5144153.article

Joker maintained its muscular run after becoming the highest grossing R-rated global release in history last week. The supervillain origins story dropped 38% overall, adding $47.8m from 79 markets to bring the international running total to $571.5m. The worldwide tally stands at $849.1m.

Internationally the film now ranks as the third highest grossing DC film, and it is the highest grossing release from the stable in 34 markets including Italy, Mexico, Spain, Russia, India, Argentina and Holland. It is the biggest Warner Bros release in 14 markets including Russia, Argentina and Mexico, and the fourth biggest Warner Bros release in Asia, and the second biggest Warner Bros and DC film in Latin America.

In the third weekend, France led the way as Joker held on to number one and grossed $5.5m for $27.6m. It also stayed top in Germany, adding $4.7m for $27m. After four, the UK generated $4.3m at number one for $57.6m, Japan $3.1m for $32.8m, Brazil $2.9m in second place for $30.2m, and Spain $2.4m at number one for $22.5m.

Staying with the fourth weekend, Joker added $2.3m in second place in Italy for $27m, $2.1m in South Korea for $35.9m, $2m in Australia for $22.1m, $1.9m in Mexico for $39.8m, and $1.5m in Russia for $27.7m.

updated:

UPDATED: Joker maintained its muscular run after becoming the highest grossing R-rated global release in history last week. The supervillain origins story dropped 38% overall, adding $49.2m from 79 markets to bring the international running total to $574.1m. The worldwide tally stands at $852m.

Internationally the film now ranks as the third highest grossing DC film, and it is the highest grossing release from the stable in 34 markets including Italy, Mexico, Spain, Russia, India, Argentina and Holland. It is the biggest Warner Bros release in 14 markets including Russia, Argentina and Mexico, and the fourth biggest Warner Bros release in Asia, and the second biggest Warner Bros and DC film in Latin America.

In the third weekend, France led the way as Joker held on to number one and grossed $5.8m for $28.3m. It also stayed top in Germany, adding $4.8m for $27.1m. After four, the UK generated $4.5m at number one for $57.8m, Japan $3.1m for $32.8m, Brazil $2.9m in second place for $30.2m, and Spain $2.4m at number one for $22.5m. Staying with the fourth weekend, Joker added $2.3m in second place in Italy for $27m, $2.1m in South Korea for $35.9m, $2m in Australia for $22.1m, $1.9m in Mexico for $39.8m, and $1.5m in Russia for $27.7m.

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Joker maintained its muscular run after becoming the highest grossing R-rated global release in history last week. The supervillain origins story dropped 38% overall, adding $47.8m from 79 markets to bring the international running total to $571.5m. The worldwide tally stands at $849.1m.

In the third weekend, France led the way as Joker held on to number one and grossed $5.5m for $27.6m. It also stayed top in Germany, adding $4.7m for $27m. After four, the UK generated $4.3m at number one for $57.6m, Japan $3.1m for $32.8m, Brazil $2.9m in second place for $30.2m, and Spain $2.4m at number one for $22.5m.

Staying with the fourth weekend, Joker added $2.3m in second place in Italy for $27m, $2.1m in South Korea for $35.9m, $2m in Australia for $22.1m, $1.9m in Mexico for $39.8m, and $1.5m in Russia for $27.7m.

Look at those legs tho :

France with 24% drop, sorry forgot that LW  7.2m. I always thought it only get 6.7m. Reasonable number.

Germany 38% drop

UK 38% drop

Japan 25% drop, Screendaily include Friday like last weekend.

Brazil 35%

Spain 30% ??!!, this is the most questionable one

Italy 40% 

SK 31%, probably a bit overestimate

Australia 33%

Mexico 56% 

Russia 50%

Edited by RJ 95
Wrong France number for LW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3