PanaMovie

JOKER OS THREAD // 738.5M OS // 1.074B WW

13 minutes ago, a2k said:

even after the ow was thinking 575-625 ww and expected mediocre legs.

725+ os and 325+ dom look well set.

While 335m Dom seems reachable but somehow I still doubt that 725m. Today Japan number doesn't instill any confidence. Just hope Europe won't follow with 55-60% drop this weekend. For me if Joker can drop anything below 50% or any number above 32m for ( Mon-Sun). It's already a win for me.

2 hours ago, RJ 95 said:

Right, it's funny that when it's release how many predict 1 billion for this. Even look at that Joker > 300m club, Joker above 1b club or just first page of this OS thread. Look at how much everyone predict. Now some people use that "it's expected because Joker is one of the most popular and iconic character" card. Just accept that it's run is crazy and this has probably best WOM  for solo SH that OS-China market ever experienced. Just look at how high audience rating in Europe, Latin America and Japan movie site. 

It's also the highest rated comic book movie of all time after The Dark Knight on imdb. People really LOVE this movie, it went beyond typical cbms, it's one of those rare movies that resonates to people on personal level, that's why it's doing this good. You can "buy" big opening weekend with very famous character and great marketing, but you can't "buy" WOM like this. Even OW is affected by WOM, actuals were like 14 mln higher than estimates, that's crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

oops

ps the warning still stands though :d

Ahh ok 👌 let's just leave whatever happen on Twitter on there. Let's be peaceful with each other fan base. There are obviously worst kind of people on both side.   

• Like 1

Back to Joker box office. Today in Japan, Joker experienced it's worst drop so far. Dropping 39% from last week Tuesday, I only hope it's deflated because yesterday is holiday in there and drop in 30-35% area tomorrow but if it's continuing with that then 45-46m become likely finish or maybe a bit lesser.

A bit good news is in Argentina, it's still dropping in 43%. So still good on par like last week and on Argentina like last few weeks. It's always dropping much better in weekend.

Edited by RJ 95
  • Thanks 2

Very early on I imagined it would do something like 700M because of the IP. I figured that much of the success of Suicide Squad was due to Joker being in it (and even if most fans apparently dislike Leto's take on the character, he's still kinda popular among GA).

But then closer to release I remembered that it wouldn't have a China release, and when it won the Golden Lion and the conversation around the film started to be so controversial and divisive, and the fact it was a heavy drama with no real action, I thought general audiences would maybe like it but it wouldn't break out. Even after the 250M OW, which was 100M above the industry expectations, I still expected it to make only 500-600M, expecting some mediocre drops.

It was only when Charlie started getting hyped for a billion during the first week that I started to consider 700-800M again. Still didn't believe in more than that though.

Edited by TheUndertaker

4 hours ago, KP1025 said:

I still think Bohemian Rhapsody is more impressive considering the subject matter. Joker may be low budget R-rated drama, but it's still a film starring one of the most iconic and popular comic book characters of all-time. 

Bohemian Rhapsody didn't restrict almost half of its potential consumers - children; also - albeit having to censor 1 minute of content - China didn't seem to feel bothered about showing Bohemian Rhapsody in China - as you said "considering the subject matter"? What Joker has done was utterly unexpected, more so given how the Western media had battered it from pillar to post with ideological nonsense in that it would stimulate violence and manipulation individuals. It's a character piece and a straight-drama - no action, CGI explosions or Caped Crusaders leaping from rooftops ~

You hinted at Joker being one of the most iconic and popular comic book characters of all time-time? That doesn't mean anything! See Justice League, Solo: A Star Wars Story, and Batman vs Superman for further information. Arnie's Terminator was one of the most iconic characters in Western cinema of all time ... We all know how that turned out.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Bohemian Rhapsody didn't restrict almost half of its potential consumers - children; also - albeit having to censor 1 minute of content - China didn't seem to feel bothered about showing Bohemian Rhapsody in China - as you said "considering the subject matter"? What Joker has done was utterly unexpected, more so given how the Western media had battered it from pillar to post with ideological nonsense in that it would stimulate violence and manipulation individuals. It's a character piece and a straight-drama - no action, CGI explosions or Caped Crusaders leaping from rooftops ~

You hinted at Joker being one of the most iconic and popular comic book characters of all time-time? That doesn't mean anything! See Justice League, Solo: A Star Wars Story, and Batman vs Superman for further information. Arnie's Terminator was one of the most iconic characters in Western cinema of all time ... We all know how that turned out.

I'd also say that Bohemian Rhapsody also features someone and something incredibly popular and iconic - Freddie Mercury and Queen. BR is kind of IP driven movie too. Also BR was family friendly and crowd pleaser.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I'd also say that Bohemian Rhapsody also features someone and something incredibly popular and iconic - Freddie Mercury and Queen. BR is kind of IP driven movie too. Also BR was family friendly and crowd pleaser.

I was literally about my topic to put that in but I wanted to leave it haha - but exactly! But Rhapsody also isn't an entirely Mercury-solo expedition, as it's also a Queen film as well - but you've the nail on the head.

12 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

I am learning towards bohemian rhapsody as no LGBT theme films has ever reached 300m, let alone 900m but we have multiple 800m-1b record from DC . Plus, Joker's teaser trailer had 60m trailers view by the time it got released while BR had only 20m, that suggest quite positive outlook. Lastly, Joker had much more better reviews than BR and it was once sitting at high 80% + Venice win while BR was straddling the fresh-rotten line. 

BR has super good late run, 160m+ of BR's gross was made post 10th week of release!! But that was largely buoyed by its award season run, which give BR extra nearly 2 months to stay alive in theater .    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Some projections are having it hit $1.1 billion - that's without the talk of award-season-expansion ~

1.1b for me is kind of unrealistic. Next Mon-Sun probably 32m. Then will add 50m after that. So let's say 82m and Dom with additional 40m. So 1.059b. Still 41m from there. With expansion then it maybe can get there. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RJ 95 said:

While 335m Dom seems reachable but somehow I still doubt that 725m. Today Japan number doesn't instill any confidence. Just hope Europe won't follow with 55-60% drop this weekend. For me if Joker can drop anything below 50% or any number above 32m for ( Mon-Sun). It's already a win for me.

Is on 637.7 after a 38.8 weekend. So 87.3 or 2.25x the weekend needed. Even if legs don't continue to trend the way they have, 2.25x more seems safe.

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am learning towards bohemian rhapsody as no LGBT theme films has ever reached 300m, let alone 900m but we have multiple 800m-1b record from DC . Plus, Joker's teaser trailer had 60m trailers view by the time it got released while BR had only 20m, that suggest quite positive outlook. Lastly, Joker had much more better reviews than BR and it was once sitting at high 80% + Venice win while BR was straddling the fresh-rotten line. 

BR has super good late run, 160m+ of BR's gross was made post 10th week of release!! But that was largely buoyed by its award season run, which give BR extra nearly 2 months to stay alive in theater .    

But Bohemian Rhaposdy wasn't a wholly Freddie Mercury film as much as it was a Queen film - and clearly China allowed them to show it - even with a 1 minute censorship - as many LGBTQ films wouldn't get a Chinese release in the first place. Teaser trailer counts don't mean anything though as that's subjective, and true Joker may have received praise in Venice, but went it went over the Atlantic it was another story entirely.

Joker having an R-rating, having a relatively original story, being lambasted by the media for potential spurring on violence, not allowing children to attend screenings and not having a Chinese release makes it one of the most impressive runs of all time - all the more when you consider the budget and the low drops throughout the European continent.

Edited by Bart Allen
  • Thanks 1