PanaMovie

JOKER OS THREAD // 738.5M OS // 1.074B WW

To me Joker's run is more impressive than Endgame's. Joker is the first R rated one billion movie, that's one very major record and it did it without big budget, action, spectacle, fun tone, China, 3D and cinematic universes. And it could also beat Disney's Aladdin worldwide, just think about it. This is definitely one of the most impressive and unexpected runs of the decade at the very least, nobody in the right mind would downplay it.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Aristis said:

If you think audiences aren't awaiting effects, explosions and stuff look again into the 1B+ grossers. Of course it's not just about that and a movie can gross less than that even than. But please tell me how many of the 1B+ movies have this few action scenes - I mean, it's just Jokers 3rd part really. The movie is a charakter study, a Joker biopic and therefore very different even from the Nolan Batman Trilogy.

To the last part of the first post and this one: Sometimes it's better to not know much about BO to make a better prediction as you don't know the natural borders (and there are many for Joker). It's like the prediction of Endgame - in Germany it blew past most predictions of German BO followers just because we know it and know what is normal. I could have said "Endgame makes $3B WW". That doesn't really mean I'm a great analyst and all others are bad. Some predictions are just lucky cause sometimes BO is unpredictable and that is what makes following it great.

I agree with the bottom part but not in relation to the Joker. I work around a lot of people and when everyone talks about 'that new joker movie' you begin to get the feeling that it's going to be a big hit, regardless of the sort of movie it is and history going against dramas. People dont dislike slow dramas, they just tend to wait for a DVD release as it's not worth watching on a big loud screen but I think you can take a lot of risks with an iconic popular character and still become a big success, much like how Nolan turned TDK into what was essentially a crime thriller. It's not like theres been another similar movie to compare jokers gross to, though it dealt with issues widely seen in the news today so people should have sat back and treated it as a complete wild card.

IMO BR was more impressive and unexpected than Joker. Joker is, after all, a CMB or superhero movie. And this is the golden age of CMB/superhero movies.

Many people would bet on 1B for Joker if, before release, they knew it would be 90%+ fresh on RT and 90+ on MC.  1B for a CBM is not unthinkable.

But I dont think anybody would dare to bet on BR making 900+ even if they knew BR would be 100% fresh on RT. 

There is the difference.

Edited by A Marvel Fanboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Chucky said:

The Matrix reloaded had a more impressive run IMO given its 18 years old. I wonder what Judement Day's success would be equal to today. 400m WW back then was huge

I think they are on the same level, Matrix Reloaded is older and that's an advantage in "impressiveness", but it's a much bigger movie than Joker, it has a lot more action and CGI, and it attracts more audiences, it's as I commented before,  Joker is the only $1 bi + movie that has no big action scenes or  much visual effect (The closest to Joker is TDK, but still a big budget movie).

Edited by Marcos12

11 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Joker is, after all, a CMB or superhero movie.

In name and source material only.

11 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Many people would bet on 1B for Joker if, before release, they knew it would be 90%+ fresh on RT and 90+ on MC.

Nobody would bet on 1B R rated Joker character study, no matter of reviews, even most joking predictions were at Deadpool's range at best.

12 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

1B for a CBM is not unthinkable.

But it's unthinkable for mid budget R rated gritty drama without action, this is not the same thing as 1 bln MCU movie at all (and all of them had China/3D/action/fun tone/big budget/families), it's like the lowest budget 1 bln movie, CBM badge doesn't guarantee huge gross, even with the most famous characters (Hello Justice League and BvS).

18 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

But I dont think anybody would dare to bet on BR making 900+ even if they knew BR would be 100% fresh on RT.

Agree here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chucky said:

Aquaman was a big surprise but It did benefit from a christmas release and a 300m gross from china alone. I guess having James Wan direct it brought in the chinese audience. 

So why Spiderverse (critically acclaimed movie), Bumblebee and Mary Poppins returns underperformed? Aquaman without China is still bigger than films like Thor-Ragnarok (a sequel pos 2 Avengers movies) with China incl.

Edited by Marcos12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

I think they are on the same level, Matrix Reloaded is older and that's an advantage in "impressiveness", but it's a much bigger movie than Joker, it has a lot more action and CGI, and it attracts more audiences, it's as I commented before,  Joker is the only $1 bi + movie that has no big action scenes or  much visual effect.

Attracts more audiences? Does it though? Joker has had decades of comics and millions of fans around the world. The Matrix was just a sequel to a 400m grosser, that's it. Jokers title got bums in seats, they didnt need special effects to attract that audience. Joker has been iconic for long enough for most of its audience to be over the age of 18 so its rating wasn't restricting it much either. I think Matrix reloaded today will have shattered 1b

We live in a world where everyone wants to seem smart so when a joker movie tells a serious story without action scenes and special effects you have loads of people commenting on how brilliant its story was as they think it makes them seem more intelligent. Take one look on Facebook and most joker related articles are filled with comments of people stating how good and important it is, and if people didnt like it they are met with 'you just didnt get it'. Its gotten people talking which has propelled WOM and its gross. 

Were people shocked when the R rated Wolverine sold more tickets than most of the Xmen films? Despite having less in common with your traditional special effects driven action movies.

1.Wolverine is by far the most popular character in the X-men group.

2.Not the biggest X-men movie.
3.Logan still has more action scenes and looks more like a traditional CBM than Joker.

4.Logan did half of what Joker did (WW - China).

Edited by Marcos12
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

So why Spiderverse, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins returns underperformed? Aquaman without China is still bigger than films like Thor-Ragnarok (a sequel pos 2 Avengers movies) with China incl.

You really have to ask why Bumblebee, spiderverse and mary poppins under performed?

Fine I'll list the reasons

Bumblebee followed the downward spiral of transformer films to a tee

Spiderverse looked cheap, I doubt people were ever going to queue for a cartoon spiderman movie, let be serious, if anything it did really well

Mary poppins did not underperform, where was the interest? You dont make a sequel to a 30+ year old movie that has been massively dated and expect more people to show up for it. Besides it was a musical and compared to other musicals it did pretty well.

All that being said, I was more shocked at Aquamans gross than Jokers 

Edited by Chucky
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

1.Wolverine is by far the most popular character in the X-men.

2.Not the biggest X-men movie.
3.Logan still has more action scenes and looks more like a traditional CBM than Joker.

4.Logan did half of what Joker did (WW - China).

Logan is the 2nd biggest ticket seller in the Xmen universe discluding deadpool (actually arguably the biggest) and it had the least amount of special effects and action scenes than the lot and was rated R. It even sold more than the other CGI driven solo outings.

Logan also isn't as popular as Joker, no where near

15 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Logan is the 2nd biggest ticket seller in the Xmen universe discluding deadpool (actually arguably the biggest) and it had the least amount of special effects and action scenes than the lot and was rated R. It even sold more than the other CGI driven solo outings.

Logan also isn't as popular as Joker, no where near

Logan run more impressive than Joker run confirmed, then:Gaga:

Edited by Marcos12
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

Logan run more impressive than confirmed Joker run, then:Gaga:

Look mate, if you think spiderverse or bumblebee underperformed compared to your expectations then your opinion really isn't worth taking seriously when it comes to box office

Edited by Chucky
  • Haha 2

The denial on this thread is just hillarious. 

Joker just made 1 bn.I

It'sr- rated.

Slow burn character study

No 3d.

No china.

This is nothing short of jaw dropping.

I thought this would make IT numbers WW at most.

Most people had it in the 400-600m range.

And now it made a bn and they are claiming it was expected!!

Are u kidding me.

Not even WB was confident Abt it and Co financed it.

No one saw this coming. The most optimistic prediction  I saw was 800m.

This is no doubt one of the most shocking box office runs of the decade.

Personally it's my box office run of 2019.

What's even more insane for me is it's OS run. There is even a slim possibility this may earn more than TROS  OS depending on how the movie turns out.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

The denial on this thread is just hillarious. 

Joker just made 1 bn.I

It'sr- rated.

Slow burn character study

No 3d.

No china.

This is nothing short of jaw dropping.

I thought this would make IT numbers WW at most.

Most people had it in the 400-600m range.

And now it made a bn and they are claiming it was expected!!

Are u kidding me.

Not even WB was confident Abt it and Co financed it.

No one saw this coming. The most optimistic prediction  I saw was 800m.

This is no doubt one of the most shocking box office runs of the decade.

Personally it's my box office run of 2019.

What's even more insane for me is it's OS run. There is even a slim possibility this may earn more than TROS  OS depending on how the movie turns out.

Personally I dont consider many comic book movies as surprise hits anymore, theres too many of them, how many surprises must we see before we notice the pattern? For me it's a case of 'oh another one just did really well'

I wasn't as shocked as I was when films like Bohemian Rhapsody made over 850m without china and 3d or Skyfall made 1.1b 7 years ago without 3d as those movies went completely against what was expected from their genres but if it's your personal opinion then fair enough.

1 hour ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

IMO BR was more impressive and unexpected than Joker. Joker is, after all, a CMB or superhero movie. And this is the golden age of CMB/superhero movies.

Many people would bet on 1B for Joker if, before release, they knew it would be 90%+ fresh on RT and 90+ on MC.  1B for a CBM is not unthinkable.

There is the difference.

You are right but you will find it hard having anyone agreeing with you in a joker thread full of fanboys. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Skyfall boxoffice was a complete anomally, something like TFA. Bond reverted to its normal boxoffice since, as did SW, but yes, those runs (especially Skyfall OS and TFA dom) were bananas. 

TFA was bananas but not surprising. I'm sure most people were predicting a domestic record breaker there

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chucky said:

You are right but you will find it hard having anyone agreeing with you in a joker thread full of fanboys. 

I would ask to not asume that everyone who do not agree with you here is a hardcore DC fanboy. I have not read a DC comic in my whole life. And I like the film, but it is not among my favorites. I just defend the Joker's run because is I think is a really surprising run, not because I am blind.

• Like 3