PanaMovie

JOKER OS THREAD // 738.5M OS // 1.074B WW

Deadline: There was simply no clowning around for Warner Bros/Village Roadshow/Bron Studios’ Joker which has grossed a phenomenal $234M worldwide in its first weekend out. Of that, Todd Phillips’ origins story made $140.5M from 73 markets at the international box office. The figures set a new October record, topping last year’s Venom which previously held the month’s mantle for best domestic, overseas and global openings.

55 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i think that he meant comicbook genre and instead he used the term superhero movie

Yeah, I got that - I was just genuinely pondering whether this will be received more as a thriller/drama and not necessarily be held back because of the market's dislike for the comic book genre. Releasing a week after most of the rest of the world allows for WOM to build in the market as well, for better or worse (and with it opening so big everywhere else, it's bound to generate some kind of buzz). It'll be interesting to see, whatever the result actually is. Maybe Germany is just sick of cinema-going...

3 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Germany really isn’t a superhero country but France should do really well. 

Neither is Japan... I get the impression that the combination of CBM fan audience and reception as a drama (drawing in non-CBM fans) is driving the explosion in Europe, since that region tends to be less enthusiastic about traditional CBM fare.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

It's easy to understand why it's doing great in Europe. It's simply more european film than american. It's dark. It's sad. It's artsy. It's actually very euro friendly film and that's also why it had raves in Venice but much worse reviews when it opened in US

Wouldn't that be a better explanation for if the legs are great in Europe?

10 hours ago, Damianport1 said:

It's easy to understand why it's doing great in Europe. It's simply more european film than american. It's dark. It's sad. It's artsy. It's actually very euro friendly film and that's also why it had raves in Venice but much worse reviews when it opened in US

europeans like big blockbusters .