sfran43

Monday Numbers: IT Chapter Two $5.51M Estimate

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

There’s plenty not great about the numbers It Chapter 2 is making. Like the fact that they’re not great.

Nah, hard disagree. Considering that you've had a thing against this film from the start, if you think it's "just ok" then it's probably great.

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, hard disagree. Considering that you've had a thing against this film from the start, if you think it's "just ok" then it's probably great.

Well that’s pretty baseless, lol. I could just as easily say “considering you’ve had a thing for this movie from the start, if you think it’s ‘great,’ it’s probably just ok.”   

... and that would be more accurate.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Between ok reception and the long ass runtime, I really don't know what some of yall are expecting. Always looking for the exceptions and not the rule leads to so much unnecessary disappointment on this board. Its a rather "eh" monday hold its not bad, its not great. 

And also please do not be comparing Summer films (including August) with this 🤦‍♂️. It will play differently than a film rated R did 4 weeks ago. 

• Like 5

I don’t have some kind of grudge against It. I’ve been calling for numbers on the lower side because I was seeing things with clear eyes and a lot of people were on an unjustified hype train.     

I said PS were a bit low and it seemed more like 80 than 110. It was more like 80 than 110. I said 30M True Fri seemed optimistic and the IM probably wouldn't beat It 1. 30M tru Fri was too optimistic, and it didn’t beat It 1’s IM. I said I’d take the under on 233M — it’s probably going under 233M.       

Being spot on about a movie when other’s are overpredicting isn’t a hatchet job or indicative of a biased hate or something— it’s a sign of sound analysis.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 6
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Its also doing just fine for a sequel to a film that didnt light the world on fire for word of mouth, and was also WAY larger than normal for the genre. 

Again, when BP2 drops considerably from BP1 what will this board do... panic. Without actually being logical and unemotional in the assessment

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Again, when BP2 drops considerably from BP1 what will this board do... panic. Without actually being logical and unemotional in the assessment

There's not a snowball's chance in hell that Black Panther 2 is getting anywhere near 700. (Of course, I also would have said the same about the first BP.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not really. Being lucky isn't "sound analysis".

Oh, of course. The fact that I’ve been correct about how the movie will do pretty much every step of the way isn’t because I was applying good reasoning and looking logically at history, it’s because I was wrong but am getting lucky. Whereas all the people who were way off, well, that’s not cause they were predicting badly. They’re actually the ones doing the sound analysis, and they just got tragically foiled by an “unlucky” reality.    

That’s definitely the natural conclusion  🙄

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Oh, of course. The fact that I’ve been correct about how the movie will do pretty much every step of the way isn’t because I was applying good reasoning and looking logically at history, it’s because I was wrong but am getting lucky. Whereas all the people who were way off, well, that’s not cause they were predicting badly. Thy’re actually the ones doing the sound analysis, and they just got tragically screened by an “unlucky” reality.

Yeah pretty much.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 (1) It: Chapter Two Warner Bros. $5,510,000 -73% 4,570 $1,206   $96,572,152 4
- (5) Overcomer Sony Pictures $315,000 -72% 2,153 $146   $24,983,925 18
- (10) Once Upon a Time…in Holly… Sony Pictures $225,000 -61% 1,402 $160   $134,593,392 46
- (13) Spider-Man: Far From Home Sony Pictures $95,000 -73% 1,433 $66   $388,215,898 70
- (8) The Angry Birds Movie 2 Sony Pictures $80,000 -87% 1,854 $43   $38,168,353 28
- (-) The Farewell A24 $43,701 -64% 368 $119   $16,733,758 60
- (-) Midsommar A24 $21,313 -52% 234 $91   $27,264,277
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:
1 (1) It: Chapter Two Warner Bros. $5,510,000 -73% 4,570 $1,206   $96,572,152 4
- (5) Overcomer Sony Pictures $315,000 -72% 2,153 $146   $24,983,925 18
- (10) Once Upon a Time…in Holly… Sony Pictures $225,000 -61% 1,402 $160   $134,593,392 46
- (13) Spider-Man: Far From Home Sony Pictures $95,000 -73% 1,433 $66   $388,215,898 70
- (8) The Angry Birds Movie 2 Sony Pictures $80,000 -87% 1,854 $43   $38,168,353 28
- (-) The Farewell A24 $43,701 -64% 368 $119   $16,733,758 60
- (-) Midsommar A24 $21,313 -52% 234 $91   $27,264,277

Quite surprisingly (to me), I found out that some kids just started school this past Friday, so summer was basically in session right up until now for them.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

but It's Thanos though, he's great with his analysis/predictions but I would be SHOCKEd if he wasn't rooting against a non-Disney film. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

but It's Thanos though, he's great with his analysis/predictions but I would be SHOCKEd if he wasn't rooting against a non-Disney film. 

I’m not rooting against It. This whole narrative that seems to be developing that I root against non-Disney films or something is bizarre and inaccurate. Generally speaking, I would rather that most films do great. That’s better for consumers, theaters, studios, etc.

However, I also don’t use a film being non-Disney as a reason to think it’ll do better than is likely, or a reason to say it’s doing great if it’s only doing good. Maybe that’s what people are picking up on, but it’s not my fault that few non-Disney movies have done great this year. I was cheerleading for The Upside and JW3, which are the two best non-Disney runs of the year off the top of my head.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

I don't always agree with Thanos Legion. But he's generally been fair on pretty much every movie's box office, and is the farthest thing from a "hater", unless the idea of somebody committing the horrible act of *checks notes* liking Marvel movies makes you some evil Di$ney shill who wants all WB movies to die like some of you guys are acting.

If anything, the reactions to his reservations says a lot more about other people being whiny fanboys than him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

When a film is a hard-R horror film, plays in September and has a 3 hour runtime, none of you guys here should expect holds like the first It. Especially late shows will be considerably less attended than the first one considering some people on this world need to work on the next day lols.

By the way, i definetly think some here take the hard numbers too serious. Its not always purely about the drops and percentages, often the bigger picture is much more important. In the bigger picture, It 2 as a R-Rated horror film with a 3 hour runtime will cross 100M DOM after 5 Days.

Anyone that doesnt call this "great", imo is kind of crazy.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Thanks 2