Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: It 2 40.74 (-55%), Hustlers 33.23 (Record for STX and J-Lo), Goldflop 2.64 (LOL)

https://deadline.com/2019/09/hustlers-jennifer-lopez-it-chapter-two-weekend-box-office-1202733682/

STXfilms’ Hustlers, as anticipated, is off to a fantastic start for the weekend with $2.5M. That’s a figure that’s higher than Universal’s Girls Trip ($1.7M), STX’s Bad Moms ($2M) and Paramount’s Rocketman ($2.3M).

The Jennifer Lopez-Constance Wu-Lili Reinhart pic, which was made for $20.7M before P&A, is expected to make at least $20M this weekend, with tracking and others betting Hustlers’ dance ends between $25M-$30M. Anything over $23.1M this weekend for Hustlers reps a live-action opening record for Lopez, besting her 2005 high Monster in Law, and anything over $23.8M is a record opening for STX, which is greatly in need of a hit after the UglyDolls debacle.

Edited by Eric!
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$30M+ opening weekend is happening.

That would take it close to IT2 which on the conservative end could do 33-34 imo.

Girls Trip did 31 ow with just 1.7 previews btw.

Edited by a2k

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$30M+ opening weekend is happening.

Rocketman did 25.7M off 2.3M previews, which would be about 28M if it follows that movie. WOM also seems to be good not great at the moment (75% on RT's Verified Aud. Score), so that's a bit more of an uphill battle for 30M+

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Eric! said:

Rocketman did 25.7M off 2.3M previews, 

I thought it was a pure 1.75M with the extra 555k from the advanced screening the week before. Just want to verify for future tracking. 

ETA: yes. It was 580k according to Hollywood Reporter 

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I thought it was a pure 1.75M with the extra 555k from the advanced screening the week before. Just want to verify for future tracking. 

You're right. I thought the 2.3M excluded the Fandango preview. Take that 1.75M and remove the 580K from the OW and you would get Hustlers to 35M, but...I dunno, still not totally convinced yet.

Edited by Eric!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

ETA: yes. It was 580k according to Hollywood Reporter 

then rocketman's multi would give it close to 36 ow (removing 0.6 from previews and ow) 😲

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eric! said:

Rocketman did 25.7M off 2.3M previews, which would be about 28M if it follows that movie. WOM also seems to be good not great at the moment (75% on RT's Verified Aud. Score), so that's a bit more of an uphill battle for 30M+

To be fair rocketman was also in the summer. Maybe look at Bohemian instead(?) 33M but that may be a bit high

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Who would've thought that a JLO movie would be the saving grace of small movies this year. 

Maybe it shoulda been obvious after the “global sensation” that was Second Act

• Haha 1