The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread: It 2 40.74 (-55%), Hustlers 33.23 (Record for STX and J-Lo), Goldflop 2.64 (LOL)

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Hustlers can hit 35M this weekend, right?

Not impossible. But WOM doesn't look so hot, so it'll probably settle in the low 30s. Still fantastic either way, and pretty much locks it beating Bad Moms Xmas and being STX's third-biggest movie

25 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Good holdd across the board, what happened? 

I think the good holds are a product of how varied the market is at the moment. There's something for everyone to see, and even films like Angel Has Fallen and Overcomer are being recommended via word of mouth. I guess strong holds for mid-budget films is what the studios always count on this time of year.

4 minutes ago, Eric! said:

Not impossible. But WOM doesn't look so hot, so it'll probably settle in the low 30s. Still fantastic either way, and pretty much locks it beating Bad Moms Xmas and being STX's third-biggest movie

I think that WOM is too early to tell for, right now, various music diva stans rushed to see the movie and they judge it based on how their fave fared. Same goes for Wu fans. So we'll know the real picture when GA hits the theaters since they want to have a good time and don't care whether Jlo made 2 other music stars and Wu completely invisible (which is the source of that shoddy Cinemascore). This weekend is diva stan wars, beyond that is real audience. Fingers crossed they love it.

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that WOM is too early to tell for, right now, various music diva stans rushed to see the movie and they judge it based on how their fave fared. Same goes for Wu fans. So we'll know the real picture when GA hits the theaters since they want to have a good time and don't care whether Jlo made 2 other music stars and Wu completely invisible (which is the source of that shoddy Cinemascore). This weekend is diva stan wars, beyond that is real audience. Fingers crossed they love it.

I feel like this is a crappy excuse for a cinemascore that's not even so bad considering the genre. Constance Wu fans? Really? 

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think that's the reason. Rihanna was a prop in O8 and her stans were not able to affect scores. I doubt Constance Wu has any stans btw. 

I would assume a movie with poor WOM would not see an increase in its Friday estimate from afternoon to the night. While Hustlers got a B- CinemaScore, there 21 Jump Street got a B CinemaScore and did just fine at the BO and had good WOM. The point is not sure we can gauge the WOM on a movie just because its CinemaScore isn't what we expected. Its box office run will tell the story imo 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Are there really that many people who do nothing but post about Cardi/Lizzo on Twitter and Instagram that it would impact Cinemascore that much?

B- isn't great for a comedy / drama plain and simple. Has nothing to do with stans as much as it probably relates to people feeling like they got a different film than what they saw advertised. The complaints I have seen echo those above about a boring finish on top of it not being "funny" enough. Those are things that eventually kill legs. B/B+ is the good-great that this particular genre / grouping aims for but even films like Magic Mike can buck a "down" cinemascore. Gonna have to wait and see what happens.

At least leg wise its not going to be the worst or crazy out of synch ala Wolf of Wall Street.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Ansel's very lucky that west side story is already 3 months into filming.

Right.  Because one poor showing at the box office would ruin his career.  

• Like 3