Ethan Hunt

Ethan Hunt Reviews Y6!!!

I'm doing request this year

Everyone's allowed to request 2 movies. 1 of their own. And 1 that is somebody else's. Plus I'll do reviews for whatever else i feel like that doesn't get requested. And obviously I'll be willing tontalk about anything else once scores drop if people wanna know more my thoughts.

Paradise Island

Paradise Island is a movie about unstable characters living unstable lives. The thing is that their lives were unstable before the news that their beloved home must be evacuated. The tragedy is just the push some of them need for actions to be made. Dabra Granik takes on this quiet ensemble piece about times of uncertainty with grace. Granik shines brightest in the quietest of moments when it’s nothing but McDonough’s imagery and Levi’s score capturing the beauty of island life and the people who live there. The cast of the film is uniformly excellent. Chadwick Boseman is maybe the highlight of this movie. Though not to knock on the powerhouse of a star that is Tessa Thompson.The film can be slow in the middle sometimes and not every plotline feels as relevant or powerful as others but this a film that aims to move you and succeeds in spade. Granik has put out another masterful work; tackling the innate need for change in the face of yearning for the same.- 4.5/5

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Plus One

Spoiler

A star studded Romantic comedy is an instantly one of the most interesting releases of the summer. This one brings together the powerhouses that are Adam Driver and Tessa Thompson. The premise of the movie may seem conventional for a rom-com. But that hasn't stopped a boatload of other romcoms from being great. The first thing that this movie  does right is absolutely Adam Driver. He brings a shy, awkward kind of quiet humor to the movie that only accents the moments that he explodes into pure goofiness. There are moments in this movie of pure wild romantic energy (One in particular is an absolutely a heavenly cinematic moment) The downfall of the movie seems to come in the area of conflict. it's pretty forced and requires one of the characters stances to be entirely stupid and as a result makes the character kinda unlikable. That said this movie is a fun(ny) ride with the leads having good chemistry and moments that will make you swoon, that loses some momentum when some of the big moments of conflict come into play- 3.5/5

• Like 2

Spark: A Hero's Promise

Spoiler

Finality. Conclusion. A Rarity. The biggest franchise in the world is coming to an end (so we’re told) not because it’s fading out with time but because the story is over. I sit in the packed theatre waiting for the movie to start and the thing is that none of us know the direction that this will go. But we will never return again. We will let the characters embrace their own conclusion and give up our own desire to see them return for more adventures. This is an event of scale we don’t see too often. A franchise going out still on top. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Odyssey. The Dark Knight. Spark for the last (just under) 6 years Spark has ruled imaginations. Rising is to this day one of the greatest blockbusters that we have ever seen . Homeward was plagued with a troubled production and ultimately a disappointment. Beyond the Sky while a but of a pacing mess has a strong conclusion and delivered an exciting set up for this finale. 

Spark: A Hero’s Promise first of all delivers on the promise to be one of the most visually impressive films that has been seen. Beautiful worlds and beautiful locations are all throughout this movie. There’s a lot in this one, not really a surprise. Can it be messy? Sure. Is it often times effective. Yes. Not every character shines here (as hard as the filmmakers want Kozar to be relevant it’s a pipe dream at this point.) But we have a trio of fascinating characters at the center of this film. Of course Sasha Lane for her Oscar winning role and titular hero Alex Spark continues to be a complex hero earning our interest and rootability but also proving more beneath the surface than many blockbuster heros. Olivia Cooke as Xevarre who’s less villain here and more a dismissive villain yer reluctant hero. And finally (and quite possibly the MVP) we get Michelle Pfeiffer as Naryani searching for redemption. And yeah this movie is flawed messy and whatever but y’know what? It rules! At every turn in the road I acknowledge that this movie has flaws, yet so many beats hit so effectively that I can’t really be bothered to care. Moving emotionally is the name of the game and this succeeds in spades throughout the entire runtime. The Third act of this movie hits like a sledgehammer. It’s a beautiful epic mess of glory that makes this Ethan feel feelings. I go down in a blaze of love for this movie and this franchise - 5/5

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1