Ethan Hunt

Ethan Hunt Reviews Y6!!!

Children of Eden 

Spoiler

I identify as an agnostic. Some of the things that I hear are in the bible honestly kind of horrify me. I’m not sure I could sleep at night believing that the higher power that may be thinks that homosexuality is wrong, or that suicide is a sin, or that really anyone at all ever should have to endure eternal suffering. I just can’t comprehend these things. That’s where Alfonso Cuaron’s adaption of the musical that is an adaption of biblical events comes into my life . As always Cuaron delivers a stunningly gorgeous movie to look at. The production design is just absolutely stellar. The cast is uniformly excellent all playing characters who struggle to comprehend the role of the father in their own lives. And in this movie the Father does very little if anything redeemable ( i guess creating life is cool) but here he is a dick. Just a complete and utter dick. (I don’t claim to know whether he was equally a dick in the original story.) The songs are gorgeous and depict all the complexity of the internal struggle that all of our characters feel in trying to either accept the father despite what he’s done or furiously pushing him further away. The concluding scene of the movie is one of the most beautiful poignant moments in the CAYOM timeline.

Spoiler

Eve one last time pleads with the father for answers. Wanting to know about her children. Wanting to know about her husband. Wanting to understand what she ever did wrong. Is it a moment of desperation? Is it a moment of clarity ? is it both? Idk but I found myself to be incredibly moved in this moment

Children of Eden is a movie that has made me think about faith more deeply than I have in some time by meeting me on my level and telling the story through characters that are just as flummoxed by god’s actions as I often feel looking at what I’m told on paper - 5/5

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

The Neon Psalms 

Spoiler

And I suppose I might as well take this moment in order to discuss another movie that is not as effective in making me contemplate of faith. Neon Psalms is a fascinating and ambitious film in concept and the setup is very nice but the whole thing feels very undercooked. I don’t really feel like I understand Josaphine’s relationship with any of the other characters. What purpose does Erik serve in the film. The kind of tension or disconnect that should be present between Josaphine and her husband with Erik’s existence is never really acknowledged. Her relationship with her students in the story doesn’t really extend beyond her desire to be a savior. And in the end the movie thinks that it has convinced me in the human soul and I’m nor really sure how it got to that conclusion. All in All Neon Psalms is a movie that is convinced it took me on a journey that I can only see the bare bones of but never truly experienced .- 2/5

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The Neon Psalms 

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for this review. It was fascinating to have you review this and Children of Eden side by side; I see what I might be doing wrong in my presentation of a faith-inspired film because of this. I definitely undercooked The Neon Psalms... But I've learned quite a bit since then, and I'll do what I can to make sure the next faith-inspired film I write tells its story more succinctly.

• Like 2

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Spoiler

This film was always wanna of the most interesting projects coming into the year. I guess on paper the idea may make some people feel uncomfortable. But flawed characters can be fascinating we all know that. And that's honestly where this movie succeeds best is in being a wonderfully delicate character study. Ross Lynch gives a star making performance that should make him a favorite for Oscar gold. The biggest problem with the film is honestly that I wish it was more... brave? For understandable reasons the filmmakers decided to age up Anne Frank to avoid controversy.  Which sure on paper it may be a smart financial choice but this movie strives on not playing into weirder more unsettling territory. The music recording moments in this movie are fun. ultimately Aeroplane is a movie that takes the safe route to being a very good or even great movie but fails to take the risks in order to look at the story in truly the most interesting light possible- 4/5

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 3

Borrasca (i probably wouldn't read the review if you haven't read the movie yet)

Spoiler

Whatever you think your getting going into this movie, get it out of your head. In nature this may seem like it will be a fun little mystery/horror thriller in the vein of It. And in part it is. until it's something else entirely. and as such it's not a film that i can recommend to everyone. that said it's good in this here reviewers opinion. The mystery builds upon itself in a fascinating. the tension builds and permeates throughout the story. At times it feels like people are too willing to divulge information. But our three central performances are stellar Once all of the films secrets are revealed in all of it's horrifying nature and the film comes to it's close  it can be difficult to interpret all the feeling on this film. A dark and errrrrr not optimistic ending. Only the slightest sliver of anything positive (and even then not really but i'm glad it at least gives us that)- 4.5/5

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

God of War: Kingdom Come

Spoiler

A franchise that was tire to begin with gets even more tired. It becomes ridiculously trivial to attempt to care about these goofy gods and all of their ridiculous shenanigans. The talented cast and nice visual effects try to drag this one to the finish line but woof it's a rough one- 1.5/5  

Gateways 

Spoiler

The family film for the holidays that is poised to be an absolutely monstrous hit arrives. And it Delivers a film that will be adored by the masses and families everywhere for sure, That said it is not without flaw. There is an episodic almost start and stop nature to the pacing of the film that kinda took me out of the film in several places. This delay of momentum kinda prevents the movies big points from having the kind of emotional impact on me that they intend to.  The voice acting is impressive especially from Mckenna Grace. It's a cute, visually impressive movie with it's heart in all the right places even if it doesn't always hit all the right beats to be as effective as it could've been -3.5/5 

• Like 3

The Most Wanted Man in Great Britain 

Spoiler

Numbers picture comes back with a history flick with some more rollick to it this time. The increased energy is a blessing this time. I could have not stayed awake through another Fortnight. The supporting cast here is nice. Dan Stevens has already been praised to the high heavens for being a real dickbag and he does deliver tho I think for me the MVP of the cast is Florence Pugh as the fiery supporter on our wanted man's journey. The problem with this movie is our most wanted man himself. Holland isn't given a whole lot interesting to do in the film and of course Holland lacks the charisma to skate by as an exciting leading man so at times it can be hard to get fully invested on our road out of Britain-     3/5

/

• Astonished 3
  • Sad 2

Fiesta Loca

Spoiler

Loca is a movie that gets off to a great start. there's a real dark energy to it that radiates through it and the film sets up for an interesting premise as a party of young people goes terribly wrong and the dead that over watch the event. Unfortunately the film kinda turns into menial character keeps doing repetative tasks to prevent things from happening and there's not really much of a sense of tension to it. The final moments of the movie are able to hit some strong emotional beats. It's certainly a unique premise with lots of potential that the film sadly doesn't fully capitalize on- 3.5/5 

• Like 2

Voicemail 

Spoiler

An intriguing horror mystery flick that sets up a nice atmosphere from the opening scene of the film. At first you kinda wonder if it's just gonna be a series of gruesome deaths  (which I mean there isn't anything to inherently wrong with if it's well executed) but in the end it heads in an intriguing direction. Kinda feel like it's building to an emotional apex that we never really get to delve into the issue at hand. Instead the ending is just kinda what huh. Nice little horror movie tho- 4/5 

SUPRISE!!!!!

1. Children of Eden

2. Lumberjanes

3. Mass Effect Ascension

4. The Trapped Keeper  

5. Borrasca 

6. Spark A Hero’s Promise  

7. Paradise Island

8. Plus One 

9. Yolanda’s Dream of Yogurt 

10. Hired Guns 

11. Voicemail