SLAM!

Slam! Movie Reviews [Y6 Edition]

I'm gonna reveal #3, #4, and #5 one at a time. #1 and #2 will be revealed together.

Spoiler

In the Aeroplane over the Sea

Even as the writer, I'm not sure how I feel about this piece. I think I'm happy with how it turned out, but I fully understand the criticisms it's received. Still, I think that the mere act of attempting subject matter this dicey and complex has ultimately strengthened me as a writer. Plus, I got practice with creative research, and that's always a plus.

(#1-#4 are above this film because there were many more films than just those four that I believe to be much, much better than any of the films I wrote this year.)

• Like 2

Spoiler

Borrasca

Borrasca can pride itself as being one of the most important films of the year, simply by addressing an important social issue in a successful and engaging way. This thriller had me hook, line, and sinker. Karl Urban was fantastic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, this is it... Both of these films are favorites of mine! The both deserve #1 in my mind, but there can only be one...

Spoiler

The Most Wanted Man in Great Britain

Traditional in the best of ways, this enthralling historical epic floored me. It takes British's film obsession with failure, a concept I'm currently learning in my British Film History class, and runs with it, showing that there will always be a light at the end of the tunnel! Seeing King Charles encounter commoner life in the way he does is truly thought-provoking; it's a necessary film for this political climate.

Spoiler

Paradise Island

I decided it'd be a good idea to give this one the edge, because I've never, in my short time-span as a CAYOM writer, seen a writer nail subtlety in this sort of way. The film is a near-perfect match for Debra Granik's directorial capability and all of the performances are incredible. And the best message-driven films are those that make my conservative stomach churn with realizations along the lines of "this is something I need to be bipartisan on." An impressive and memorable film. I loved it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

My full list:

1. Paradise Island

2. The Most Wanted Man in Great Britain

3. Borrasca

4. Gateways

5. In the Aeroplane over the Sea

6. Spark: A Hero's Promise

7. Mass Effect: Ascension

8. Voicemail

9. Fiesta Loca

10. Pokemon: The Cinnabar Conspiracy

11. Plus One

12. Super Mario Bros.

13. The Ancient Magus' Bride and the King of Cats

14. Little Black Bugs

15. Green Arrow

16. The Last Policeman

17. The Thin, the Phat, and the Felon

18. Thermal

19. Children of Eden

20. The Neon Psalms

21. XJ9: Rebirth

22. Shiverin' Gulch

23. Pikmin

24. The Horn

25. Baseball Boy: The Base Thief

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'll start handling the rest of my predictions tomorrow, now that I've read everything.

As for now:

@4815162342

@Rorschach

@Spaghetti

@YourMother the Edgelord

I'm gonna do the same thing I did last year. As you four were recipients of a final five slot, you get a first-come-first-serve choice of which Y7 project of mine you would like to pre-read. Your choice practically guarantees that I write that choice, because fulfilling pre-read promises is a great motivator for me to write.

Here are the films you can choose from:

Banjo & Kazooie (dir. Josh Cooley)

Carver (either dir. Chinonye Chukwu or dir. Barry Jenkins)

The Croaking of Prince Chrom (dir. David Yates)

A Hop, Skip, and a Jump (dir. Alessandro Carloni)

Megalo Box (dir. J.D. Dillard)

The Needles of Haystack County (dir. Jon Favreau)

Tealbird (dir. Robert Zemeckis)

Untitled Film (dir. TBA) -- Haven't announced it yet, but you will not regret choosing this.

Edited by SLAM!

So in terms of pre-reading:

@Spaghetti will pre-read The Croaking of Prince Chrom.

@YourMother the Edgelord will pre-read Banjo & Kazooie.

@Rorschach will pre-read my untitled film (that which I am very excited to write).

and @4815162342 will pre-read Carver--this is my 'needs outside research' piece of the year so I'm going to try and read the guy's memoir before I write it.

If anyone else has a special interest in a film of mine, they can ask to pre-read it if they want. For example, @Reddroast asked to pre-read Megalo Box (and I'm really happy he did).

Everyone is alloted one pre-read selection. If you select a film that's been selected already, that film will be bumped up higher on the order that I write my films. Right now, my order looks like this:

#1: The Croaking of Prince Chrom (will be the first one I write no matter what, based on passion and logistics)

#2-#4: (undecided between Banjo, Carver, and the mystery film)

*As a Top 5 perk, those will be the first four films I write, no matter what.*

#5: Megalo Box

And the rest of the list is currently undecided.