Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen: Watch Your Six

Mass Effect: Ascension

With Special Guest Garrus the Cat!

Spoiler

So as many of you know, I adore the Mass Effect games, to the point where my cat is literally named Garrus (nee Mr. Kitty). Say hi to the camera, buddy!

Image may contain: cat and indoor

Okay anyways...

Mass Effect 1 offered a smaller scale than expected, yet still deeply engaging and tightly structured thriller across the stars, staking out different ground than other space operas in the game, from the more epic and immense Scavenger Wars, the fun and adventure of Green Lantern Corps, the splendor and pathos of Spark, and so on. Mass Effect is more of a direct, tightly crafted thriller that just happens to be set in space. The second film in the saga continues this trend, with a few twists.

We see Shephard and her "flock" investigating strange and legally dubious encounters, from drug exchanges to child torment, while their investigation draws them closer to anthrofascist (IDC if it's a word it's evil and sounds terrifying) organization Cerberus. An old foe is rediscovered, while fans get to revisit old friends.

While the action and plot is on a smaller scale than the original, the thrills remain compelling, even if it lacks the stronger structure of the original. A lot of cards feel like they're played a bit too early, and I'm not certain how much Banes honestly added to the film after his glorious presence in the original to be honest. Not like he can top the Postman anyway. Still, the plot remains compelling and thought provoking, and even if the Garrus side-plot kinda veers into information that's already obvious, it's still a blast to watch him (played brilliantly by Kebbell) play off Shepard.

Good job, buddy!

Image may contain: cat and indoor

The secret weapon of the film, however, may be Kiernan Shipka as Zero. She sells the despair, anger, and fear hidden in her character beautifully and sets the stage for her development to shine as the saga progresses. I won't spoil any surprises, but there's a lot of fun ones. While I wasn't super strong on the characters as a whole, they get some solid development and fun moments to play off each other. I like that Numbers keeps it as an ensemble piece, even if Pillars might be a big stronger in that aspect.

Speaking of, I think this might be a reverse Pillars for me. After giving the first film in that saga a B+, I gave the second an A-. And after an A- for the original...

B+

Good stuff all around! Garrus approves.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1