filmlover

Old | M. Night Shyamalan | July 23, 2021 | Eliza Scanlen, Thomasin McKenzie, Aaron Pierre, Alex Wolff and Vicky Krieps

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Does M. Night even have any backlash associated with him anymore? The "Next Spielberg" Newsweek cover obviously didn't pan out but he's done a fine job rehabilitating his career from the dark Lady in the Water through After Earth era in recent years.

I feel like people are still skeptical of him espescially after Glass. It's not like The Visit was very well-received by the film community either. Only film he's made since Signs that I'd say is widely liked is Split. The reactions I've seen to Old too has me feeling people still think of Shymalan as a hokey filmmaker.

I guess he's in a better position in the sense though that he's finally found a new home with Universal ever since Disney/Touchstone stopped funding his films.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Speaking as a Shymagod apologist, I do think the backlash towards him has died down considerably since The Visit. From what I’ve seen, people who don’t like his new movies are just kind of “ehh” about them and people kind of understand he’s not for everybody. The Last Airbender/After Earth days were a lot meaner by comparison. Which is fine. His style and direction is not for everybody

• Like 2

The graphic novel is perfect material for him and very enticing. I'm excited to see Vicky Krieps and Eliza Scanlen in this. I know people who've attended test screenings. Say it's a blast but the ending does not work which is typical for M. Night, so I'm expecting very divisive reactions. Still think it will open well with like 20m. One of the only non-sequel releases this summer and high-concept horror usually does well

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LegendaryBen said:

I'm hoping this will be a fantastic movie.

Unfortunately, it's not.  Reaction is going to be very mixed and it is more silly than scary.  Still should do decent given the marketplace right now.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Unfortunately, it's not.  Reaction is going to be very mixed and it is more silly than scary.  Still should do decent given the marketplace right now.  

Welcome back, man! Thanks for the comments. I’m now thinking it will open around the mid to high teens with a total in the 40s to 50s. What are your projections?

Just now, LegendaryBen said:

Welcome back, man! Thanks for the comments. I’m now thinking it will open around the mid to high teens with a total in the 40s to 50s. What are your projections?

I am still bullish on it given the lack of options and desperation for date night movies like this.  $20m+ opening is still on the table possibly.  

Marketing has kicked in here in the UK. It actually has all of the elevator and escalator billboards at my local cinema. 

I get the impression from the trailer that things go silly, but the mystery might be enough for it to open decently. 

On 7/10/2021 at 11:01 AM, EmpireCity said:

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Reviews for this will be allowed 3 hours before release

Weird

Considering Universal has been cancelling advance screenings left and right for this once Shyamalan gave the final cut, I'm not surprised. They're keeping a lid on inevitably bad WOM.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Considering Universal has been cancelling advance screenings left and right for this once Shyamalan gave the final cut, I'm not surprised. They're keeping a lid on inevitably bad WOM.

This is the most exciting thing you can tell me about this film. All fucking in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2