filmlover

Old | M. Night Shyamalan | July 23, 2021 | Eliza Scanlen, Thomasin McKenzie, Aaron Pierre, Alex Wolff and Vicky Krieps

Finally watched Unbreakable and it is so good. This probably should've been the last superhero movie ever made lol. I don't think there's anything else from this genre since that's as good as this. Just in terms of shot composition (some of these oners don't get talked about enough), Shymalan pretty much beats any new mainstream filmmaker from the past 20 years here.

Now I only got Lady in the Water left to watch.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

I saw Lady in the Water earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed just how laughably bad and narcissistic it was. It's just terrible, but hysterical how much of a messiah complex Shyamalan had at the time.

• Like 2

The reviews to this are just amazing. The positive ones are just loving the enjoyably bad movie-ness of it. Because of how stale and corporate the industry tends to be right now, this is truly Shyamalan's time to shine regardless of when he pulls out a Sixth Sense or a Happening.

johnny.png

bradshaw.png

chris.png

old.png

I saw this earlier and didn’t like it much. There is a great idea here but I feel M Night was the wrong director / writer for this.
It starts out well albeit with some clunky dialog but once they get to the beach it all falls apart. There are things that happen in this movie that should feel really shocking and disturbing but they way it’s filmed and acted it comes off as more funny than scary, it’s a shame because on paper this could have been a shocking, tense horror film but it totally fumbles the ball and is more laughable than terrifying.

The twists are poorly foreshadowed and it becomes very easy to figure things out, it doesn’t help that the trailer shows something that makes one reveal very obvious, Universal need to fire their trailer guy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I saw this earlier and didn’t like it much. There is a great idea here but I feel M Night was the wrong director / writer for this.
It starts out well albeit with some clunky dialog but once they get to the beach it all falls apart. There are things that happen in this movie that should feel really shocking and disturbing but they way it’s filmed and acted it comes off as more funny than scary, it’s a shame because on paper this could have been a shocking, tense horror film but it totally fumbles the ball and is more laughable than terrifying.

Seems like Shyamalan was the perfect director for this then.

29 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

The twists are poorly foreshadowed and it becomes very easy to figure things out, it doesn’t help that the trailer shows something that makes one reveal very obvious, Universal need to fire their trailer guy.

This sounds amazing

14 hours ago, Lucas said:

The reviews to this are just amazing. The positive ones are just loving the enjoyably bad movie-ness of it. Because of how stale and corporate the industry tends to be right now, this is truly Shyamalan's time to shine regardless of when he pulls out a Sixth Sense or a Happening.

johnny.png

bradshaw.png

chris.png

old.png

OMG "as subtle as Eurovision"! :rofl:There is no way that the movie is half as entertaining as these reviews. So basically reviews are:

Rotten: it's bad but fun to poop on

Fresh: it's so bad it's good

s1.jpg?fit=329,440&ssl=1

never disappoints!  :bravo:

Edited by Valonqar

Just got out and I think I’ll wait until the morning to decide on it lol. 

It’s certainly very original. And some of the stuff is pretty harrowing. I just wish it was an indie director or someone. His dialogue is way too clunky and cringey. Some of the performances are horrendous. Yet I was constantly entertained.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

If you say so, I geniunely don't remember ever seeing a C cinemascore.

I would have thought people in this forum general knows this rule.

FYI - even Wiki knows that:

Horror films consistently score lower; The Conjuring's "A−"was the first time a horror film scored better than "B+". CinemaScore's Harold Mintz said that "An F in a horror film is equivalent to a B− in a comedy".

• Thanks 1