kayumanggi

KNOCK AT THE CABIN | 02.03.2023 | Universal | final gross: $35,397,980

1) Thought this would make way more than it is. Oof are my box office instincts horrible now. :( 

2) 

Spoiler

In the book, the little girl dies. I am glad Night changed that piece because it was too disturbing. 

• Like 1

This will probably end up eeking past the goal for profitability in theaters ($40M against a $20M budget), but after reading the much-discussed differences between the book and the movie, I think they ultimately made the right calls, commercially speaking (to say anything more would definitely be heading into spoiler territory).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Confused as to how this opened somewhat low in a horror-hot marketplace. 

I think it really boils down to the following from what I have seen on here, WOM on social media, and having seen the film.

1. Trailer #2 gave a lot away and there wasn't a really intriguing catch to pull in audiences.

2. It is pretty depressing film and January/February tends to be already kind of a dull time of year. 

3. M. Night has run out of audience good will. 

4. LGBT couple (I think this would have opened the same with a straight couple but I see discussions around the LGBT representation on social media) 

3 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

I think it really boils down to the following from what I have seen on here, WOM on social media, and having seen the film.

1. Trailer #2 gave a lot away and there wasn't a really intriguing catch to pull in audiences.

2. It is pretty depressing film and January/February tends to be already kind of a dull time of year. 

4. LGBT couple (I think this would have opened the same with a straight couple but I see discussions around the LGBT representation on social media) 

If it would’ve opened the same with a straight couple, then is it even worth bringing up? 

One of Shyamalan's better films - with more emphasis on substance over style. It's a pretty tight story, with a sense of dread that creeps up on you at the end.

Spoiler

Thematically, it really works - a queer couple struggling to find their place in the world and create a family, who is then subject to these circumstances. It's a tragic ending, because of this, and one that is sitting with me. I could have used some more time with Eric and Andrew in the flashbacks, but we see enough for the film to have a real impact, at least for me.

I looked up the original ending of the book after finishing the film, and I think the revised ending is much better - at least for the film. A tighter ending both narratively and thematically. 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

I can see why the subject turned people off. It's a grim situation for the audience to put themselves in. I went into it knowing that Shyamalan isn't here to depress us though, and as expected there were strong themes that resonated. Can't really say much more without getting into spoilers...

Good performances throughout too. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 7:40 AM, Hiccup23 said:

I don't think he's lost goodwill after the one-two punch of Split and Glass. And I don't think Old was seen by enough people to turn many people off.