baumer

Rambo: Last Blood (2019)

Grade it   

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Grade: B+

Saw it last night and the obvious thing to me is just how much these reviewers had to stretch for political commentary on this film. The irony is that it by far apolitical, which makes it a bit tonally out of synch with the other films. 

First Blood - 'Nam and societies cruelness to returning soldiers

FB, pt2 - 'Nam and POWs

Rambo III - Afgan/Russia conflict

Rambo - Burma, drawing attention to longest running Civil War on the planet

The Martinez brothers could very well have been Italian or Triads and the story wouldn't have changed. The Martinez brothers are doing the same thing, human sex trafficking, that we see the Albanians doing in Taken(Liam Neeson).

I found the characterization in the first act had meaning and gave resonance to the rest of the film. I was actually surprised with the toned down John Rambo who was "just keeping a lid on it". The only narrative issue I have is the lack of any exposition as to why Gabriella, her Mother and Grandmother had lived on the farm with John. Now, I did hear Sly on Jimmy Fallon state a reason but that was not mentioned in the film. Should've been. Overall I really liked it and while it does leave the door open for more Rambo I'm not sure where they go. At least Rambo set up this but I don't see what this sets up in a meaningful way. A set up is given I'm just not sure of it. 

Hot Take: Taken meets Home Alone with a slight twist

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2019 at 11:41 AM, Captain Craig said:

Grade: B+

Saw it last night and the obvious thing to me is just how much these reviewers had to stretch for political commentary on this film. The irony is that it by far apolitical, which makes it a bit tonally out of synch with the other films. 

First Blood - 'Nam and societies cruelness to returning soldiers

FB, pt2 - 'Nam and POWs

Rambo III - Afgan/Russia conflict

Rambo - Burma, drawing attention to longest running Civil War on the planet

The Martinez brothers could very well have been Italian or Triads and the story wouldn't have changed. The Martinez brothers are doing the same thing, human sex trafficking, that we see the Albanians doing in Taken(Liam Neeson).

I found the characterization in the first act had meaning and gave resonance to the rest of the film. I was actually surprised with the toned down John Rambo who was "just keeping a lid on it". The only narrative issue I have is the lack of any exposition as to why Gabriella, her Mother and Grandmother had lived on the farm with John. Now, I did hear Sly on Jimmy Fallon state a reason but that was not mentioned in the film. Should've been. Overall I really liked it and while it does leave the door open for more Rambo I'm not sure where they go. At least Rambo set up this but I don't see what this sets up in a meaningful way. A set up is given I'm just not sure of it. 

Hot Take: Taken meets Home Alone with a slight twist

Hey cap. Glad you liked it. Definitely wasnt a bad movie. The wife and I loved it. Rambo needs to grow back that long hair though. Lol

Very realistic take on Rambo this time and he's actually potrayed as vulnerable on multiple fronts in this one. Now some of decisions he makes seem questionable for a super soldier with so many combat mission experience, but apart of giving Rambo more tasks to do in the finale and slightly bigger ending on the level of Rambo 3(ie. equalizer 1 or taken) I give this film a B grade

= 7 out of 10 my captain. 👍😎

Bottomline:

Sly still got that Rambo grittyness, indomitable energy of the character down.

Rambo fans I feel will enjoy this movie.

" Live for something or die for nothing!"

--Kalofbom2002

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 2