Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Downton Abbey 31M, Ad Astra 19.2M Rambo 19M, It2 17.2M, Hustlers 17M

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

30 should be the goal for DA. If it comes in at 30-31, people shouldn't suddenly think it's "underperforming".

Now, if the weekend number stars with a 2, I could see people starting to call into question its legs. 

Exactly. I am expecting a 30m estimate in the morning, but given the type of movie 29m wouldnt be "bad" just more applicable to the fan rush that we dont know how to account for. 

Considering that we really havent had something like this since Sex and the City it makes comparisons hard. And yes, I am ignoring Entourage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Definitely setting up for a 200-210 finish, unless it develops strong late legs. 

Agree. IT1 added 2-2.1x it's 3rd weekend to the cume. IT2 has been trending worse so far but even if it matches that multi will add ~32 more to for 210 dom.

• Like 1

Ad Astra deserved more. One of the year's best movies.

@MCKillswitch123 A Herdade (The Domain) is one of the greatest Portuguese movies I have ever watched. The production values are absolutely outstanding. I didn't even knew Albano Jerónimo had that in him. It is apparently doing solid business at the box office. My show was sold out today but it had the presence of both Tiago Guedes and Paulo Branco.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I don't know why I'm the only one who can't help but be disappointed in the It Chapter Two numbers. @baumer what's your take?

I think it runs more into not resetting expectations. Its really Ultron 2.0 where a perfectly fine gross for the genre and film in a vacuum looks rough when compared with others. On a sheer fact point, it will join a very very exclusive club of horror films over the 200m mark. 

It also highlights how out of norm / sync IT1 was. Best part of the story/book also has to be considered. We are also just spoiled by a lot of sequels doing as well or better the last 10 years or so. No reason to feel like your feelings are odd, they have a perspective thats valid. 

• Like 1

It's nice to think that the openers this weekend alone are going to add to a combined 70+M. If Abominable can do something crazy next week like 40M (I'm thinking closer to 30 tho), we're in for a really great September. 

3 minutes ago, belligerent talking robot said:

10 million more for Spider-man to reach 400.  is it going to make it?

Nope. Sony probably just wants to get it over Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and then call it a day.

1 minute ago, belligerent talking robot said:

say what you want.  think what you feel.  

but I think Spider-Man will make it past 400 and I'm leaving with everything everyone loves most.  goodbye.

You okay man?

• Like 1

Still plenty of time to join CAYOM Year 6, although if you want to debut some films and showcase your writing skills, you have until Monday at 11:59 PM EST. 

Otherwise you can still review and read some of the most big films this year: Mass Effect 2, the beloved space opera finale Spark: A Hero’s Promise, Super Mario Bros, biblical epic Children of Eden and many more.