Rorschach

Rorschach Reviews Year 6: Return of the Zeroes

Who's ready to get a zero out of ten?

source.gif

I kid, I kid. The format to my reviews will be similar to last year:

1. Request two films for me to review. One from you and one from someone else. In the event you didn't post a film this year, you may choose two films but both films must be from different users.

2. Once I have all the requests, I will put them all in what I dub the "Wheel of Mis-fortune" which will spit out a random order for all the films. The order will be a secret, and unlike last year I won't bee giving any hints as to what I'm reviewing next.

wheel-of-fortune-flat-design-template-ve

3. The following films are unavailable for request to me since I have either a) already read/pre-read them for someone else and b) I already plan on reviewing them anyways.

• SP4RK
  • Pikmin
  • Shiverin' Gulch
  • XJ-9: Re-Birth

4. That is all. Request away!

Current Review Line-up (in Alphabetical Order):

The Ancient Magus Bride

The App: The Jeremy Renner App - The Movie

Duck Hunt

Fiesta Loca

Gateways

He-Man IV: The Sons of the Serpent

In The Aeroplane Over the Sea

The Most Wanted Man in Britain

The Neon Psalms

Paradise Island

Pikmin

Plus One

Shiverin' Gulch

Spark: A Hero's Promise

Super Mario Bros.

XJ-9: Rebirth

Voicemail

Edited by Rorschach

Since it seems like most everyone who wanted to request something has done so, I've already gone ahead and put everything under the review line-up through the spinning wheel. I will say now, the only film that I exempted from the list was SP4RK as I plan on re-reading all of the films in the series.

I'll give one tiny hint as to what to expect: Tomorrow I'm starting my reviews off with a double whammy... two films from the same user.

• Like 2

Okay so reviews are not gonna come tonight. I'm extremely sleep-deprived at the moment and that would most definitely create a problem for me trying to give an honest and fair review to the films. I doubt I'll be able to review anything tomorrow either so hopefully I can officially start Friday.

I'll be sure to keep you guys in the loop on what I'm doing.

• Like 1

Fiesta Loca

Much like The Book of Life and Coco before it, Fiesta Loca offers a fairly unique Day of the Dead tale with the sensibilities of PG-13 flick. Overall, it's a fun little story with some nice standout performances from Jake T. Austin and Antonio Banderas, the latter is absolutely hilarious as Agustin. The film does spend a little too much time setting up its plot, however, and I wish much more of the time was spent expanding on the middle portion of the story with trying to stop El Cucuy, as that section was easily the highlight of the film. Some of the emotional beats towards the end ran a little hollow for me, most notably the way Rita's storyline ends. I think some more scenes with her and Felix would've helped make more of an emotional connection for me. The final confrontation of the film also felt a bit anti-climactic and really downplayed the threat the villain had. Other than that, it was a mostly solid film with some good performances, strong humor, and an engaging storyline.

6.5/10

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rorschach said:

Fiesta Loca

Much like The Book of Life and Coco before it, Fiesta Loca offers a fairly unique Day of the Dead tale with the sensibilities of PG-13 flick. Overall, it's a fun little story with some nice standout performances from Jake T. Austin and Antonio Banderas, the latter is absolutely hilarious as Agustin. The film does spend a little too much time setting up its plot, however, and I wish much more of the time was spent expanding on the middle portion of the story with trying to stop El Cucuy, as that section was easily the highlight of the film. Some of the emotional beats towards the end ran a little hollow for me, most notably the way Rita's storyline ends. I think some more scenes with her and Felix would've helped make more of an emotional connection for me. The final confrontation of the film also felt a bit anti-climactic and really downplayed the threat the villain had. Other than that, it was a mostly solid film with some good performances, strong humor, and an engaging storyline.

6.5/10

Thank you for this review! It seems like you liked it, and I'm really thankful for that! I was warned about all of those problems, and I had the chance to fix them, but just didn't, so that's on me. That's awesome that you found Agustin hilarious!

10 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Thank you for this review! It seems like you liked it, and I'm really thankful for that! I was warned about all of those problems, and I had the chance to fix them, but just didn't, so that's on me. That's awesome that you found Agustin hilarious!

Him constantly calling out Lance for his stupidity 

d96.jpg

The Ancient Magus' Bride and The King of Cats

Not so much a self-contained story as much as it feels like the first few episodes of a TV series stitched together to make a feature length film, The Ancient Magus Bride and the King of Cats is, unfortunately, unable to break the mold of its episodic nature which left me frequently wanting more out of it. It has quite a few moments of wonder and beauty interspersed throughout and the technical craft in regards to art direction, make-up, costuming, and visual effects that are undeniably impressive but its not enough to help levitate the story in anyways. It also doesn't help that the central relationship between Chise and Elias gave the film a really creepy undertone that I wasn't jiving with me, though Condor and McGregor both give good solo performances. 

So yeah, unfortunate to say but I wasn't much of a fan.

4.5/10

8 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

The Ancient Magus' Bride and The King of Cats

Not so much a self-contained story as much as it feels like the first few episodes of a TV series stitched together to make a feature length film, The Ancient Magus Bride and the King of Cats is, unfortunately, unable to break the mold of its episodic nature which left me frequently wanting more out of it. It has quite a few moments of wonder and beauty interspersed throughout and the technical craft in regards to art direction, make-up, costuming, and visual effects that are undeniably impressive but its not enough to help levitate the story in anyways. It also doesn't help that the central relationship between Chise and Elias gave the film a really creepy undertone that I wasn't jiving with me, though Condor and McGregor both give good solo performances. 

So yeah, unfortunate to say but I wasn't much of a fan.

4.5/10

This was definitely really fair. I think that, when I write these summaries, I pay much more attention to the technical aspects than to the actual story. That definitely happened here. A lot of the dialogue was copied from the anime word for word because I didn't want to stray from the material. I'm gonna be careful which anime adaptations I greenlight, because of how creepy most modern anime really is underlyingly. If I do make a sequel for it, I'll need to find a way to have it break away from its episodic nature.