filmlover

Golden Globe Nominations 2019

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Also funniest nomination for me is The Lion King in Animated Feature lol. They won't nominate it beyond a lone Visual Effects nom but it would be golden if the Academy did the same.

it wasn't submitted for best animation at the oscars so no it won't get nominated.

also it's right to nominate it in best animated (well not right because the movie sucks it's not right to nominate it anywhere but whatever). jon favreau can say what he likes it's animated. self identification doesn't work with movies!

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i could see deniro not getting a SAG nod either.

Missed this from earlier but I actually think this is happening since he's already gonna be there as the Life Achievement Award winner this year. It would be a shame if he missed for this, his best performance in nearly a quarter-century, when he was nominated for Silver Linings Playbook earlier this decade (a very pleasant performance don't get me wrong but I doubt he would've made the cut in most years) but it's definitely a packed year that ensures there's gonna be a snub or two.

Where is Greta Gerwig and Little Women??? Did HEPA even see the film? Haven't seen the film yet but I am confident this wouldn't go wrong.

Critics choice nominate todd Phillips for his screenplay of Joker while HEPA think he deserve directing nomination more. I guess the love is equally distributed here but could also mean he will be snubbed in both at Oscar. How to avoid the snub? He needs to learn to keep himself quiet. 

Netflix is coming from all direction, from best drama, and animation. 

Now i am seriously think that Knives Out will be the serious contender, HEPA love that film 

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Where is Greta Gerwig and Little Women??? Did HEPA even see the film? Haven't seen the film yet but I am confident this wouldn't go wrong.

Critics choice nominate todd Phillips for his screenplay of Joker while HEPA think he deserve directing nomination more. I guess the love is equally distributed here but could also mean he will be snubbed in both at Oscar. How to avoid the snub? He needs to learn to keep himself quiet. 

Netflix is coming from all direction, from best drama, and animation. 

Now i am seriously think that Knives Out will be the serious contender, HEPA love that film 

Philips won't make Director and Script for too stacked categories and other contenders are stronger. I think that WB goal is to get Picture nom and Actor win. 

HFPA saw Little Women. There was a rumor that they loved it but we saw how much today lol. Same goes for that cats love tweet. Dind't age well idn't it?

Just now, RealLyre said:

so the December release that will get a picture nomination is 1917 over Little Women? not what I was expecting in the least... 

hopefully the DGA and the Academy members come to their senses and nominate Greta 

They'll both get nominated. I wouldn't read too much into the Globes snub for Little Women. Worst case scenario it ends up being this year's The Post (late-dropping contender that makes decent coin at the box office but meets the minimum of its Oscar potential).

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so the December release that will get a picture nomination is 1917 over Little Women? not what I was expecting in the least... 

hopefully the DGA and the Academy members come to their senses and nominate Greta 

You know that Greta paid HFPA to snub her so that outrage locks her DGA and AMPAS noms. :P;)

There's no particularly surprising nominations here. It always disappoints me when the Golden Globes don't think outside the box, because the Drama/Comedy split can often allow for pleasantly surprising nominations, like when Mark Ruffalo was deservingly nominated for Infinitely Polar Bear. Maybe it's because the Golden Globes voting body has become older and, thus, more callous, but that type of voting was sort of absent this time around. Either of the spots occupied by Cate Blanchett and Emma Thompson could've gone to Julianne Moore for her work in Gloria Bell. And you know Constance Wu is furious because she didn't get in for Hustlers. I also would've been nice to see Zach Gottsagen, an actor with Down Syndrome, get nominated for The Peanut Butter Falcon, as he was the emotional core of the film. I hope that, in the coming years, the HFPA remember that they have a unique ability to spotlight films that wouldn't normally be spotlighted--and on prime-time television, no less.

Anyhoo. I'm fairly content with the nominations this year. Normally, I'd be sad that Netflix is all over the film categories, but they've got undeniable masterpieces in their slate, so, yeah, you can't really be mad about undeniable masterpieces. 2019 is such a good year for film that I'm struggling to find much to complain about. All my favorite indie picks get recognition from smaller awards bodies, so I feel content having that knowledge.

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I think 1917 makes sense because people are calling it the best war film since Saving Private Ryan. But it would've been nice to have both.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Philips won't make Director and Script for too stacked categories and other contenders are stronger. I think that WB goal is to get Picture nom and Actor win. 

HFPA saw Little Women. There was a rumor that they loved it but we saw how much today lol. Same goes for that cats love tweet. Dind't age well idn't it?

Looking back my gold derby prediction score, I actually predicted correctly for the entire best director and best musical/comedy actor.

Guess i didn't feel the buzz for Greta is sufficient at this point.   

I hope the buzz for LW can really got kicked off when it open during Christmas, It has be quick or else the window will be too short  

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Philips won't make Director and Script for too stacked categories and other contenders are stronger

I agree he has no shot at Director come Oscars (especially since the backlash to lack of women directing nods has started in the media), but I think there's a chance at Screenplay. Think it 100% would have made it in at the Globes if they had Original/Adapted split. That will work in its favor, and there is precedent for a CBM there, with Logan. Reckon it's currently in top 5 there...