RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

11 hours ago, Becker said:

I could've sworn Sweeney was the lead character.

Sydney Sweeney is apparently playing Julia Carpenter who becomes the 2nd Madame Web in the comics. I guess if there was any chance of a sequel to this - which there won't be, then she might be the lead of that one. But Dakota Johnson has been pretty front and centre of the marketing for this one. Even though they should also capitalise on SS's recent success. 

20 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

Sydney is way more known now than Dakota has ever been.

Is she? Film twitter isn’t real life. According to film twitter Jacob Elolrdi is a superstar yet his box office numbers are non existent. She got small rom com hit and all of sudden she’s deemed bigger?

at the end of the day only one person in that cast is the face of a $1B franchise and that’s Dakota 

Edited by Manny G

Everything about this looks like shit. 

Big miss IMO for Sony esp since I think it could've worked. I don't know much about the Spidey universe but at the very least that Julia Carpenter costume is vaugely familar to the GA millenial audience like me. So I would've started with that and built the film around her. The other 2 girls is just too much and I had zero clue who they were suppoused to be (plus the 3rd one, Spider-girl?, already has a costume too similar to Julia). If they're trying to build a Spider-Woman character for the franchise they can't suddenly have 4 of them at once... WW and Ms. Marvel proved it can be done. Sequel floppage is a different story

Quick google research also made me immediately interested in the old-blind-lady design for Madame Web so that's already a potentially good formula right there? Just have her fill the quasi mentor anti-hero role for young Julia ala Batman Beyond and focus on the relatonship between the two. If they were able to score one of the veterans in the vein of Helen Mirren/Glenn Close for the old Madame role it would've helped alot too with wideo appeal.

But oh well, DOA and another nail in SCU coffin. And good riddance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyJohn said:

Everything about this looks like shit. 

Big miss IMO for Sony esp since I think it could've worked. I don't know much about the Spidey universe but at the very least that Julia Carpenter costume is vaugely familar to the GA millenial audience like me. So I would've started with that and built the film around her. The other 2 girls is just too much and I had zero clue who they were suppoused to be (plus the 3rd one, Spider-girl?, already has a costume too similar to Julia). If they're trying to build a Spider-Woman character for the franchise they can't suddenly have 4 of them at once... WW and Ms. Marvel proved it can be done. Sequel floppage is a different story

Quick google research also made me immediately interested in the old-blind-lady design for Madame Web so that's already a potentially good formula right there? Just have her fill the quasi mentor anti-hero role for young Julia ala Batman Beyond and focus on the relatonship between the two. If they were able to score one of the veterans in the vein of Helen Mirren/Glenn Close for the old Madame role it would've helped alot too with wideo appeal.

But oh well, DOA and another nail in SCU coffin. And good riddance.

I suspect they went with Madam Webb because there are real rights issues with Spider-Woman (basically Marvel can use the characters but their version can't be called "spider-." There is a real incentive to not make "Julia Carpenter" a breakout character versus "Spider-Woman: Julia Carpenter." Young, hot Madame Webb isn't visually distinctive but she stands a better chance of sticking around as a staring role.  

quorum-people-who-pretend-to-not-be-quorum-people, how is this doing in comparison to morbius? dont know if it'll translate to tickets sold, but it sure feels like people only a very aware of this movie 

12 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I suspect they went with Madam Webb because there are real rights issues with Spider-Woman (basically Marvel can use the characters but their version can't be called "spider-." There is a real incentive to not make "Julia Carpenter" a breakout character versus "Spider-Woman: Julia Carpenter." Young, hot Madame Webb isn't visually distinctive but she stands a better chance of sticking around as a staring role.  

That's understandable but why not just call her then the new young hot Madame Web, getting the torch passed from the old mentor one and keep the Spider-Woman title for other character like Gwen or these other 2 girls in the trailer? As it stands its just confusing to potential viewers because the movie suddenly has 4 spider heroines with no focus on either. Yes Dakota including, she's in Tom Hardy/RDJ's age-range visually speaking so the messaging is very unclear whos origin story is this suppoused to be and whether the 3 younger girls are just helper minimes aka Robin/Batgirl or future main Spider-Fem-Counterpart

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 9:39 AM, Manny G said:

Is she? Film twitter isn’t real life. According to film twitter Jacob Elolrdi is a superstar yet his box office numbers are non existent. She got small rom com hit and all of sudden she’s deemed bigger?

at the end of the day only one person in that cast is the face of a $1B franchise and that’s Dakota 

Sydney as 50 Shades of Gray would have done the same. 

• Like 1