RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

If this focused on Julia Carpenter, the second Madame Web and second Spider-woman for that matter, I see greater possibilities. You could have flashbacks to the OG Cassandra Webb and flashbacks of Julia in action as Spider-woman.

If they use Cassandra Webb in all her paraplegic glory then I feel the film will need acolytes to act as proxy. Not sure what comic characters that might be/could be though. 

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/sj-clarkson-marvel-universe-sony-1234612107/

Though audiences will have to wait until 2021 for “Morbius” and “Venom 2” to hit the big screen, Sony Pictures is continuing to build up its slate of Marvel films. Veteran TV director S.J. Clarkson has signed on to develop the first female-centric movie from Sony’s catalog of Marvel characters, sources tell Variety.

While it’s unconfirmed at the time who the character at the center will be, insiders say there is a strong possibility that the film will be based on the Madame Web comic-book character.

Sony had no comment.

At the moment, there isn’t a writer on board to pen the screenplay, nor a star attached to lead the movie. Sources say there is a possibility that the studio is looking for an A-list actor to join and then hire a writer to develop the film around them.

In the comics, Madame Web is depicted as an elderly woman with myasthenia gravis and thus was connected to a life support system that looked like a spider web. Due to her age and medical condition, Madame Web never actively fought any villains. For that reason, sources have stressed it’s possible the project could turn into something else. The studio has a list of possible stars, such as Charlize Theron and Amy Adams...

These elderly actresses 😭

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

https://deadline.com/2022/02/madame-web-dakota-johnson-1234925603/

EXCLUSIVE: Following the massive success of Spider-man: No Way Home, Sony is looking to to expand on its Universe of Marvel Characters as sources tell Deadline that Dakota Johnson is in talks to star in the studio’s Madame Web movie. S.J. Clarkson is on board to direct the pic.Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless. penned the screenplay.

In the comics, Madame Web is depicted as an elderly woman with myasthenia gravis and thus was connected to a life support system that looked like a spider web. Due to her age and medical condition, Madame Web never actively fought any villains. For that reason, sources have stressed it’s possible the project could turn into something else.

Either way, getting a female-driven property in Sony’s Marvel Cinematic Universe has always been a top priority for studio brass given the long list of strong female characters that appear in these comics throughout the years. Sony execs have taken there time in figuring out who would land the title role meeting with a number of A-listers. In the last two months, list has been cut down with Johnson gaining front-runner status right before the holiday.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Eric Knoxville said:

Did Deadline add this line right now in the article, coz it doesn't appear in Eric's quoted text

Insiders say due to her psychic sensory powers, she is essentially Sony’s version of Doctor Strange.

So basically more live action Spider-Verse hijinks.

On 2/3/2022 at 1:53 PM, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

why tho

just do like, spider-gwen, or 2099 lol

I seriiouly think if they want a female take on Spidey, Spider Gwen is the way to go. She ii certainly much,much more popular then then Madame Web and company.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:53 PM, dudalb said:

I seriiouly think if they want a female take on Spidey, Spider Gwen is the way to go. She ii certainly much,much more popular then then Madame Web and company.

I think SPIDER-WOMAN/GWEN will also be made... that's Wilde's movie, I think.  Negotiating Emma Stone's deal is probably the only thing that's delaying a formal announcement.