Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Abominable 20.85, Downton 14.5 (-53%), Hustlers 11.5 (-32%), It2 10.4 (-39%), Ad Astra 10.1 (-47%), Rambo 8.6 (-55%), Judy 3.1

Hustlers is gonna at least come close to 100M. Good for STX

IT is gonna finish in the same range as the crop of Solo/Venom/BR/ASIB last year lol

Bit steeper than I wanted for Abbey, but it'll get to 80-90M.

Astra and Rambo will both probably top out around 50M if not slightly less for the latter. If Abominable can get to 20M this weekend at this point I'll count it as a win. 

• Like 1

No dreams of 100M with that Abbey Friday, still a great performance from it.     

Speaking of It, looks like about 205 from that weekend.    

Overall everything there would be lower lower than I hoped except Hustlers, which is getting that 100M. Room for things to creep up over the next 48 hours though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

IT is gonna finish in the same range as the crop of Solo/Venom/BR/ASIB last year lol

The unfortunate news for It Chapter 2 is that by the time Halloween rolls around, it's grosses will be low enough that any big percentage bump won't have much of an effect on the final tally.

BTW....I saw Zeroville today, the James Franco directed film with an insanely awesome cast.  The best part about the film is how good Seth Rogen is.  If anyone does see this movie, he might even get some mention at Oscar time.  Other that that, it is pretty unlikable.  It meanders, really has no point and for a film about a guy who learns how to edit from a Thelma Schoonmaker look alike, the film is really poorly edited.  Very disappointed in this one and that's unfortunate.  

• Like 1

Yeah, have to say that I'm disappointed in It Chapter Two all around. I guess a huge chunk of the first one's audience just wasn't buying it. Still a huge success in a vacuum, but I don't think it reached its potential at the box office. Not even close.

2 hours ago, Eric! said:

Final (I assume) updates from DL for today

Expected, but still disappointing for last week's releases if those numbers hold

They've also added this at the very bottom;

Roadside Attractions’ Renee Zellweger movie Judy at 461 locations has a current raw gross of $303,000.

That seems impressive, since to my knowledge there weren't any preview last night, at least not in my city, which is showing the film in two theatres. 
Considering this was posted before evening showings even really began on the East Coast, we might see a pretty nice theatre average for it this week. 

I'll be seeing it on Tuesday. 

Me and about 20 of my gay friends are going together :P

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

we might see a pretty nice theatre average for it this week. 

If I'm doing the math right in my head, should be somewhere a little above a $2000 pta for the weekend.

That's good, if not spectacular. It'll be better than some of the other movies in the top 10 though. In fact, I think it'll be better than most of the other movies in the top 10.

Edited by kitik

25 minutes ago, kitik said:

If I'm doing the math right in my head, should be somewhere a little above a $2000 pta for the weekend.

That's good, if not spectacular. It'll be better than some of the other movies in the top 10 though. In fact, I think it'll be better than most of the other movies in the top 10.

I think you might be confusing their raw gross as their Friday estimate. 

When they say "raw gross" they mean that's the actual figure that the movie has made up until that point in the day. The Friday estimate should be much higher than that. Depending on exactly when that raw gross was taken, there could be significant upside for the Friday number. 

The theatre average should be well above $2000 for the weekend. 

I would watch Judy this weekend (it's playing near me) if I wasn't so swamped with school. Probably gonna have to limit myself to 1 movie every 2 weeks for the next month or so. 

Can't wait to have a 9-5 job holyyyyy

1 hour ago, VanillaSkies said:

Depending on exactly when that raw gross was taken, there could be significant upside for the Friday number. 

Didn't even read, just saw the number and assumed it was a Friday estimate.

So yeah, if that number goes up as much as it might, it could be looking at something much closer to $4,000 or even $5,000, which would be outstanding for something in a nearly-wide 461 theaters.

Though I don't want to count the chickens before they hatch, so we'll see.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:
ABOMINABLE (2019)A

That’s pretty good too, it’s actually been a looooloooonnnnnnng time since a September kids movie got an A. Smallfoot, Storks, Hotel Transylvania 2, CloudyMeatballs2, HT1, Cloudy1, Legends of Ga’Hoole all A-, and rest B+ for the whole last decade.

33 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Abmoniable: 5.6 (inc preview)

DA: 4.5

Downton behaving like a film aimed at older audiences, imagine that LOL. 

Sets it up well for 13-13.5ish weekend, maybe a stretch higher with a better Saturday. Definitely closed the case on 100m but should reach 75-80m. 

• Like 1