Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

so are Tobey and Andrew confirmed or just a well sourced rumor which is as good as?

Doc Ock GIF

All there is to say is... why would this guy (confirmed by the trades) be around, as well as Jamie Foxx...and possibly other villains... if Peter Parker 1 and 2 weren't able to show up and help?  

So it's the Spidey 2 version, so it's absolutely the Multiverse, which means Tobey and Andrew are also almost certainly real. If they're talking about this publicly (which I can't imagine Variety would do this without Marvel/Sony's go ahead) that drastically changes the projections this is looking at.

So unless Doc Ock is gonna be a good guy, they're just invalidating and shitting all over Spider-Man 2 and his character arc. Was hoping he'd just be a multiverse version and not the exact same character.

Edit:

Never mind, he's a bad guy again...

“My basic physical move as Doc Ock, as the actor, is just this,” he said as he glared intensely at the Zoom camera and made a menacing noise. “I just do that a lot, and the arms are doing all the killing and smashing and breaking. I’m just going —” he glared again — “with a kind of mean look on my face.”

Edited by TheDude391

When the actor asked Jon Watts, the director of “No Way Home,” how the movie would bring Doc Ock back — since, as he pointed out, “I died” — Molina said the director told him, “In this universe, no one really dies.”

Don't get me wrong, I praise Spider-Man 2 and Molina's Doc Ock every chance I get (still the best movie preceded by the "Marvel" logo), so even seeing the return of that character is great imo. Watts might have just been being cheeky with the line about nobody dying, but man if that is really a direction the MCU wants to take with multiverse and mass character resurrections the general audiences are about to get a major taste of why comic books were fucking impossible to get into/follow in the 90s.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

So unless Doc Ock is gonna be a good guy, they're just invalidating and shitting all over Spider-Man 2 and his character arc. Was hoping he'd just be a multiverse version and not the exact same character.

Edit:

Never mind, he's a bad guy again...

“My basic physical move as Doc Ock, as the actor, is just this,” he said as he glared intensely at the Zoom camera and made a menacing noise. “I just do that a lot, and the arms are doing all the killing and smashing and breaking. I’m just going —” he glared again — “with a kind of mean look on my face.”

This was how my brain went too. Starting with "sooo... he'll just be good guy Otto in No Way Home?" and then reading along further and realizing... no, evil Doc Ock...

Here's dumbass me having thought all along that the logical thing to do would be to pick any moment during Spider-Man 2 when Doc Ock is evil - but off screen, to have him be dragged along for a separate multiverse adventure. NOT THE END OF THE FILM WHEN HE DIES AS A GOOD MAN.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

He may still get a big heroic moment.

Maybe but I doubt it. Honestly, the thing feels unnecessary for anything other than fan-service. Maybe it’s like an alternate universe in which this Doc Ock survived but that’s a wild theory.

I am hoping Watts, Feige and crew prove me wrong with NWH but I’ve made it no secret that I have no faith in myself enjoying this film already outside basic entertainment.