Eric Duncan

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I remember the take of "having too many villains in Spider-man movie has never turned out to be good". Plus the curse of third one.

What can go wrong.

Indeed. 

This is why I’m fascinated by all this. Could King Kevin pull this off? Because if anybody could do what Sony failed at twice already, it’s him.

Imagine if they somehow pull this off.

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

Well since MCU is going multiverse happy which is affecting that whole universe, if you’re going to play that card for the Spidey IP then yeah it would make sense that characters/variants connected to him would show up. It’s like (just hypothetical) if DS2 featured the 70s TV movie version of that character showing up. That would make sense, right? (In that regard, the rumored DS2 cameos arguably reek even more of fan service than NWH but I digress.)

Ultimately after many years online (including too much time in the mental gymnastics hellscape that is Star Wars discourse) lately I’ve realized there really is one difference between “good” or “bad” fan service: if you dig it. 

Well, personally i dig the fanservice here even if i though the trailer made it looks bigger than the story itself.

The fanservice have nothing to do with i disliking the trailer.

On a overall statement yeah i agreed with you.

16 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Trailer good or bad, every tom holland's spiderman contain hype factor. 

The first one in 2017 teased the return of Spiderman to MCU

the 2nd one teased the Endgame's aftermath

and this one teased the multiverse .

The hype is here and genuine. 

Which was really missing from the Andrew Garfield films. I remember ASM being overshadowed by Avengers and TDKR(no shame in that).

But then Spidey got overshadowed again in 2014.

Best hype since probably Spidey 3 in 2007.

Marvel manage to make an unknown asian character getting a good movie with good action scenes and representation of chinese culture (based on reviews).

Make a movie with 3 villains work is easy close to that. SM3 have problems pretty much because it was Raimi himself which was totally against having many villains, and for the TASM was directed by Marc Webb which couldn't make a good movie even without many villains.

This time is another situation, if i would bet, my bet is that is going to work.

Edited by ThomasNicole

8 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Doesn't Marvel have complete creative control with these? 

I think they kept thing close this time more or less, with rumors of Disney getting 25% of the profit instead of a 5% + producing fee.

There is one big "sony" producer in Pascal and the writing team has a Sony heavy credit list on imdb (Jumanji-community-happy endings-Dr.Ken, etc...), so maybe there some collaborating going on.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Marvel manage to make an unknown asian characters getting a good movie with good scenes and representation of chinese culture (based on reviews).

Make a movie with 3 villains work is easy close to that.

Not sure why a character being unknown or Asian would make making a movie good particularly harder in any way

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

At this point IDK. If I was really upto Marvel, we wouldn't be having this many Spider-man movies in first place. Its like Sony just wanna milk the cow until their next reboot.

IDK what you mean. Marvel wouldn't be making three Spider-man movies? Of course they would be. 

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Marvel manage to make an unknown asian character getting a good movie with good action scenes and representation of chinese culture (based on reviews).

Make a movie with 3 villains work is easy close to that. SM3 have problems pretty much because it was Raimi himself which was totally against having many villains, and for the TASM was directed by Marc Webb which couldn't make a good movie even without many villains.

This time is another situation, if i would bet, my bet is that is going to work.

Multiple villains are only a problem if the writing isn't right. Nolan and Burton both did it right. 

• Like 1

Just now, tonytr87 said:

Multiple villains are only a problem if the writing isn't right. Nolan and Burton both did it right. 

Marvel too.

Not with villains specifically but IW and EG have absolutely everything to be a clusterfuck with 40 characters and not only worked but worked very well.

I doubt making again with NWH villains will be a problem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

How many Hollywood attempts to make asian oriented movies worked? That's why is harder.

I think the question is when comparing equal talent-money being involved what percentage of them worked versus non-asian oriented movie did work, it is not like that majority of attempts for movies in general do not fail.

Disney animation just did one well received with unknown to audience character (which is what most movies tend to be), Crazy Rich Asian before that was a lot of fun and a giant success, The Farewell and Minari very recently, less recent you have Life of Pi, it is easy to see it has ultra overated at the time, but Slumdog Millionaire first watch back when it released was a lot of fun (the energy that light digital camera can bring now is not something that would wow an audience like 13 year's ago)

Edited by Barnack

I haven't found either of the MCU Spidey movies interesting tbh so the only thing I was looking forward to in this one was Strange (and Wong but who knows how much he's in it), so the trailer delivered on the only thing I care about. 👍 This could be the first of his MCU films I bother to watch more than once.

The setup of Strange fucking around against Wong's advice and Peter not shutting up do seem dumb but I'll reserve my thoughts on that until we actually see it. Looks like it still has a Boxing Day release for NZ, I hope there's previews much earlier than that otherwise it'll be a reasonable wait from its worldwide release.