Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

2 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I think people confuse Holland's charm in the role with his 'characterisation'. FFH isn't at all interested in Peter, but Holland's charisma largely covers that.

SM3 is obviously overstuffed and convoluted to the extreme, but almost everything relates back to Peter and his story. It's a Spider-Man movie through and through.

Watching FFH was honestly surreal. The humour is a complete 180 from Homecoming - the Ned/Betty stuff belongs in another movie. Peter getting photographed in his underwear (!) and then accidentally launching an assault on his classmate (!!) using technology given to him by Tony because plot. All Peter's classmates making quips when they thought they were going to die, the Aunt May issue being completely resolved between movies, Peter conveniently developing feelings for MJ between movies, Peter's arc being completely repackaged from Homecoming. I don't think any of these movies have ever been so afraid to commit to...anything. It's very TDW.

Mysterio's silly plot and motivations are the best part. The rest is completely wild, but in a wtf way. 

The claim that Peter's arc is "repackaged from Homecoming" is laughable if you even paid the slightest bit of attention to the movies.

• Like 1

We’re getting a little off topic here, I probably shouldn’t  have responded to ddddeeee’s post since this isn’t really the thread for it anyway.     

I assume since they haven’t received any discussion that people agree with my 450-550 DOM, 850-1.05 OS ranges for the movie that this thread is about 😁

2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

We’re getting a little off topic here, I probably shouldn’t  have responded to ddddeeee’s post since this isn’t really the thread for it anyway.     

I assume since they haven’t received any discussion that people agree with my 450-550 DOM, 850-1.05 OS ranges for the movie that this thread is about 😁

I think if the box office spikes back up in June, I agree.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Lower end of that range I'd say, I think even with the high-profile cameos it will be received as "just" a bigger solo film. 

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I still stand by Holland’s Peter is bland outside of team-ups and in a lot of ways, a white washed version of Miles. I feel if they wanted a younger Spider-Man, they should’ve choose Miles.

Not something audience would have wanted. Marvel finally get their hand on S-M, glad they did Peter only.

Miles is unknown outside comic book fans. ITSV did a good job setting him. Live action Miles in 6-7 years will be nice.

13 minutes ago, Menor said:

Lower end of that range I'd say, I think even with the high-profile cameos it will be received as "just" a bigger solo film. 

Honestly speaking, I don't think having old Spideys will have same impact as having Stark in Homecoming or Hulk in Ragnarok.

In first it will confuse a lot of general audience, and then comes the most important thing, to do it right.

I remember FFH didn't felt like an event. It felt like feed on Endgame hype leftovers, which carried it over 1Bn.

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Honestly speaking, I don't think having old Spideys will have same impact as having Stark in Homecoming or Hulk in Ragnarok.

In first it will confuse a lot of general audience, and then comes the most important thing, to do it right.

I remember FFH didn't felt like an event. It felt like feed on Endgame hype leftovers, which carried it over 1Bn.

Having Tobey Maguire's Spidey in this is a big deal. Spider-Man(2002) is what started the modern CBM craze and made $821M back then!. Not to forget Strange and maybe Andrew's Spidey will also be in it.  Sony is wanting it to make their IW/Endgame level event.

“Teenage boy develops feeling for smart attractive teenage girl he spends time with after previous crush moves away” is not exactly a hard to stomach development...   

FFH has problems but it makes no sense to consider that as one of them.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah, that's my biggest worry. The previous cameos were easy to explain. This could be potentially confusing to the audience and create a mess within the MCU continuity as well. 

• Like 1

Trust in Feige. This will be the 2nd entry in the “multiverse trilogy,” with DS2 coming 3 months later will already have some marketing. It’s not going to be some Sony-style crammed mess, there is a specific plan here even if we don’t know it just from casting scraps.

Also FFH had a huge cliffhanger to be a hook to this movie, neither SMH nor AEG really had a cliffhanger to set up FFH.

3 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

If it does less admits than FFH with the Xmas corridor nearly all to itself there will be no word but FLOP :ph34r:

There's a lot of variables on this. 

What if the movie as absolute trash?
How much did coming out post Endgame help FFH? 
Truly, how much interest is there in the MCU now compared to 2019?
Even if all restrictions are lifted, how have viewing habits been effected by COVID? 

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

What if the movie as absolute trash?

That would explain a drop, sure. But history says it’s quite unlikely. Also this doesn’t prevent it from getting the FLOP label, just explain why.

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

How much did coming out post Endgame help FFH? 

We don’t know for sure, but seemingly not that much domestically, it was like 8/7th Homecoming admits.  

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Truly, how much interest is there in the MCU now compared to 2019?

Actually the question is how much interest is there in the MCU in Dec 2021 compared to 2019. We don’t know, but no particular reason to assume it will be lower.  

6 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Even if all restrictions are lifted, how have viewing habits been effected by COVID? 

This is the one possibility that would fully excuse 350 (or even lower). If it’s evident in July-Nov or so that audience habits have permanently changed from covid, all expectations will have to be totally recalibrated and even like 200M could be considered a gangbusters performance in the new paradigm. Hopefully this won’t be the case.

39 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Not something audience would have wanted. Marvel finally get their hand on S-M, glad they did Peter only.

Miles is unknown outside comic book fans. ITSV did a good job setting him. Live action Miles in 6-7 years will be nice.

It’s MCU, unknown doesn’t matter. The MCU already doesn’t have much POC and I doubt a few fanboys would’ve mattered. If anything a live action MCU Miles would’ve done more than Homecoming.

10 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Trust in Feige

But does Feige really want a Spidey film at this moment. He did said we knew this could happen & completed Spidey arc in whatever films we had.

Sony is doing Spider-man in excess. After FFH I don't have much faith in Spidey films. I loved Tom Holland, that also has gone down a bit.

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

doubt a few fanboys would’ve mattered.

Not few fanboys, an entire continent. Asia didn't know anything about Miles. ITSV flopped here. ITSV2 will do great that's another matter.

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

If anything a live action MCU Miles would’ve done more than Homecoming.

I really really doubt it. Homecoming had to fight TASM franchise downturn, let alone a new face Miles would have done anything.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

23 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

“Teenage boy develops feeling for smart attractive teenage girl he spends time with after previous crush moves away” is not exactly a hard to stomach development...   

FFH has problems but it makes no sense to consider that as one of them.

it’s fine and I get it’s implied he’s doing it as a coping mechanism but it could’ve been developed better. Like yeah, dudes a teen but he put way too much effort and had way too much infatuation where it came it out nowhere. If Peter was like, I like her and just want to know her instead of the arguably middle school like plan I’d buy as more authentic, but that’s just me.