Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Not few fanboys, an entire continent. Asia didn't know anything about Miles. ITSV flopped here. ITSV2 will do great that's another matter.

I really really doubt it. Homecoming had to fight TASM franchise downturn, let alone a new face Miles would have done anything.

Animated action is hard to sell when not original especially when it’s a brand already known and as we know Lord/Miller movies do poorly OS compared to other animation, which are facts we know. Besides an easy remedy would be to have an older Peter as a mentor role that way they can have both.

Hypothetically speaking, they’d likely get a larger NA gross. There is a huge lack of diversity for CBMs is why WW, BP and CM broke out domestically. A new face would also help with the fatigue of another Peter Parker and Miles alongside Kamala are probably the most popular new heroes and are known in the pop culture.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I doubt this.

We have

Whole country of Wakanda

Fury

Rhodey

Gamora (if that counts)

Captain America now or if you gonna continue with Falcon

Heimdal

Not heroes but characters like Monica, Fishburn.

Not as leads, and you know that. There’s a huge difference between having POC in a side role to help the hero instead of as a lead. And it took us 10 years to get to Black Panther.

Pre covid this is making Avengers 1 money. Tobey coming back is a HUGE deal...bigger than Andrew coming back IMO. Lots of nostalgia attached there. My friend OS told me in many markets Raimi films were the first time they were exposed to big superhero film spectacles. 

I may be wrong but Spider-Man 3 might still hold the record for the biggest opening for a superhero film ever in France(I think). I don't even think Endgame could topple it even though it came close. ...i think

20 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Not as leads, and you know that. There’s a huge difference between having POC in a side role to help the hero instead of as a lead. And it took us 10 years to get to Black Panther.

At least Falcon, Fury, Rhodey are going to be leads soon. Kamala and Riri too. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 3:33 PM, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m afraid of the stigma of “Why see the “inferior” animated sequel when you have the live action one ten months ago?” from the GA. It just makes it harder for the film to increase.

No one would ever call ITSV “inferior”. Lol. Best Spider-Man movie ever. 

On 12/9/2020 at 10:51 AM, WandaLegion said:

When it rains, it pours. At this point I’m just waiting for them to cast Chris Evans as the Human Torch, Matt Salinger as Steve Rogers, Chloe Bennet, Elliot Page, Wesley Snipes,  and Dolph Lundgren in their previous marvel roles. 

OMFG GIRL DONT TEMPT ME THAT WOULD BE THE BEST EEEEEEVVER. 

fantastic four kiss GIF

19 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

EDITH was just a suspension-of-disbelief breakingly silly McGuffin for me.

Not if you accept that Tony Stark is the actual villain of the MCU, and a complete piece of shit, who never really evolved past making weapons of mass destruction. He only started making them for himself in some sanctimonious bullshit of I’ve changed and now become a superhero. #TrueFacts

11 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

As your notifications will probably tell you, and based off of our Telegram conversations, I completely agree with your take on MCU Spidey. 

I will say that Black Panther took so long because for the first half of those ten years Kevin was fighting with Ike. To the point that he went to Bob, and basically threatened to quit if Ike didn’t leave.  And wouldn’t you know? The Comic Con after Ike was ousted, Kevin Feige is announcing Black Panther and Captain Marvel.  

And since then they’ve, at least in my opinion, given more than lip service on “diversifying our universe”. We have Eternals, Shang-Chi, Sam!Cap, and Ms. Marvel — and your fave Iron Heart — all coming up, and they’re hiring more than just white dudes behind the scenes too. Doesn’t excuse the first ten years. But at least it feels like they recognized their Faults and are working to fix them. 

That all said, Where the fuck is Miles?  Hopefully will get lucky and they’ll kill Peter at the end of this. 🤞🤞

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

it’s fine and I get it’s implied he’s doing it as a coping mechanism but it could’ve been developed better. Like yeah, dudes a teen but he put way too much effort and had way too much infatuation where it came it out nowhere. If Peter was like, I like her and just want to know her instead of the arguably middle school like plan I’d buy as more authentic, but that’s just me.

He already knew her. They were friends at that point. The plan was related to asking her out, not getting to know her. It was silly, but I was in high school not long ago and saw plenty of people who did things that were more silly.  

2 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

Wrong.  I’m way more than excited for Garfield and Stone than Tobey/Dunst.  I know I’m in the minority but saying “NOBODY” is flat out wrong. 

Garfield and Stone for me were easily the best romance in the Spidey films. It felt very genuine and something that I was invested in. I felt that MJ in the Raimi films was a weakness. Dunst's performance and her writing just irritated me for some reason.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, CoolK said:

Even with S3? 

Holland's Spiderman films may not be perfect by any means, but he nailed his character better than Tobey & Garfield.

Tobey's Spiderman IMO is overly obsessed with MJ and all his films have him saving her from multiple villain's. 

Garfield's Spiderman films dealt with the romantic angle the best, which is why the death scene created a big impact. Im not a fan of his portrayal yelling out as he swings and way too hyper when in spidey suit.

I'm talking about the movies in general, rather than the portrayals of Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

I do agree that Holland himself has been great. I just feel the movies all around have been lacking. Can't seem to put a finger on it.

15 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I think people confuse Holland's charm in the role with his 'characterisation'. FFH isn't at all interested in Peter, but Holland's charisma largely covers that.

SM3 is obviously overstuffed and convoluted to the extreme, but almost everything relates back to Peter and his story. It's a Spider-Man movie through and through.

Watching FFH was honestly surreal. The humour is a complete 180 from Homecoming - the Ned/Betty stuff belongs in another movie. Peter getting photographed in his underwear (!) and then accidentally launching an assault on his classmate (!!) using technology given to him by Tony because plot. All Peter's classmates making quips when they thought they were going to die, the Aunt May issue being completely resolved between movies, Peter conveniently developing feelings for MJ between movies, Peter's arc being completely repackaged from Homecoming. I don't think any of these movies have ever been so afraid to commit to...anything. It's very TDW.

Mysterio's silly plot and motivations are the best part. The rest is completely wild, but in a wtf way. 

Yeah you pretty much sum it all up here. 

The Iron Man connection is one of a few things that bring these movies down, as well as Spider-Man's characterization. It's ironic; if the character wasn't owned by Sony, and therefore not "loaned" to the MCU but fully in the MCU, I don't know if Marvel Studios would even bother having the connection because the film would sell itself being an MCU film. In reality, what we have is Sony's 3rd attempt at a Spider-Man franchise so they have to cram the Iron Man connections in there to sell the movie. 

They tried to have the character learn to go his own way in FFH, but the problem is he still ended up inheriting a bunch of tech from Stark so the connection is very much there. I wish we could have a Peter Parker who makes his own suit and web shooters. Ya know, like the comic book Spider-Man.

11 hours ago, Wondy said:

No one would ever call ITSV “inferior”. Lol. Best Spider-Man movie ever. 

OMFG GIRL DONT TEMPT ME THAT WOULD BE THE BEST EEEEEEVVER. 

fantastic four kiss GIF

Not if you accept that Tony Stark is the actual villain of the MCU, and a complete piece of shit, who never really evolved past making weapons of mass destruction. He only started making them for himself in some sanctimonious bullshit of I’ve changed and now become a superhero. #TrueFacts

As your notifications will probably tell you, and based off of our Telegram conversations, I completely agree with your take on MCU Spidey. 

I will say that Black Panther took so long because for the first half of those ten years Kevin was fighting with Ike. To the point that he went to Bob, and basically threatened to quit if Ike didn’t leave.  And wouldn’t you know? The Comic Con after Ike was ousted, Kevin Feige is announcing Black Panther and Captain Marvel.  

And since then they’ve, at least in my opinion, given more than lip service on “diversifying our universe”. We have Eternals, Shang-Chi, Sam!Cap, and Ms. Marvel — and your fave Iron Heart — all coming up, and they’re hiring more than just white dudes behind the scenes too. Doesn’t excuse the first ten years. But at least it feels like they recognized their Faults and are working to fix them. 

That all said, Where the fuck is Miles?  Hopefully will get lucky and they’ll kill Peter at the end of this. 🤞🤞

Is this for real? Haha. That's quite a take. Wokeness dialed up to 100!!

4 hours ago, Durant said:

Yeah you pretty much sum it all up here. 

The Iron Man connection is one of a few things that bring these movies down, as well as Spider-Man's characterization. It's ironic; if the character wasn't owned by Sony, and therefore not "loaned" to the MCU but fully in the MCU, I don't know if Marvel Studios would even bother having the connection because the film would sell itself being an MCU film. In reality, what we have is Sony's 3rd attempt at a Spider-Man franchise so they have to cram the Iron Man connections in there to sell the movie. 

They tried to have the character learn to go his own way in FFH, but the problem is he still ended up inheriting a bunch of tech from Stark so the connection is very much there. I wish we could have a Peter Parker who makes his own suit and web shooters. Ya know, like the comic book Spider-Man.

To be fair, we had a scene on that jet where we see him designing/modifying his costume right before the climax reminding us that right, Peter Parker has some brains. That's more than we got in HC (I'm a HC fan, but imagine an AU ending where Peter says no to the Avengers and gives that Stark suit back i.e. "I'll make my own way." But Peter retains that A.I. chip, or given to him by Stark for respecting that decision. Whatever. Point is, ending note is him and Ned deciding to create their own Spidey suit. Not as advanced/whiz bang as the Stark suit, but not his original pajamas. Nice middle ground, if you will. We would've seen that new suit in IW.)

The only thing about the IM connection in these movies that's bugged me (har har) is being tied into Mysterio's motivation. That felt artificial, not organically inspired like it did for Vulture. What's funny is that Stark being characterized as dangerously wreckless with poor decisions at least has stayed consistent, even beyond the grave. 

15 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

Wrong.  I’m way more than excited for Garfield and Stone than Tobey/Dunst.  

Out of curiosity, why? 

3 hours ago, RRA said:

To be fair, we had a scene on that jet where we see him designing/modifying his costume right before the climax reminding us that right, Peter Parker has some brains. That's more than we got in HC (I'm a HC fan, but imagine an AU ending where Peter says no to the Avengers and gives that Stark suit back i.e. "I'll make my own way." But Peter retains that A.I. chip, or given to him by Stark for respecting that decision. Whatever. Point is, ending note is him and Ned deciding to create their own Spidey suit. Not as advanced/whiz bang as the Stark suit, but not his original pajamas. Nice middle ground, if you will. We would've seen that new suit in IW.)

The only thing about the IM connection in these movies that's bugged me (har har) is being tied into Mysterio's motivation. That felt artificial, not organically inspired like it did for Vulture. What's funny is that Stark being characterized as dangerously wreckless with poor decisions at least has stayed consistent, even beyond the grave. 

Out of curiosity, why? 

Because I like those movies?