Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

He may still get a big heroic moment.

I'm sure of it. But there is almost nothing worse than handwaving his turn to good away so he can be evil for a while longer because that's what you want out of Doc Ock - only so you can then bring in that big heroic moment once again and pretend like nothing happened. It only makes the hero turn much worse.

EDIT: This all feels very Palpatine in Rise of Skywalker-esque.

Edited by Lucas

44 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'm sure of it. But there is almost nothing worse than handwaving his turn to good away so he can be evil for a while longer because that's what you want out of Doc Ock - only so you can then bring in that big heroic moment once again and pretend like nothing happened. It only makes the hero turn much worse.

EDIT: This all feels very Palpatine in Rise of Skywalker-esque.

Everyone seems to be assuming that he’s going to be evil, but he could still pull those facial expressions that he talks about while pummelling a bad guy.

Let’s maybe see what the film actually has him doing before writing it off as an insult to Spider-Man 2. I’m sure Feige and the writers will have come to the same conclusions as people in this thread about how it could be seen as undoing a powerful character arc, so I trust that there’s more to this than just falling through a portal and turning evil again because “reasons”.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Let’s maybe see what the film actually has him doing before writing it off as an insult to Spider-Man 2. I’m sure Feige and the writers will have come to the same conclusions as people in this thread about how it could be seen as undoing a powerful character arc, so I trust that there’s more to this than just falling through a portal and turning evil again because “reasons”.

I would have the same confidence you do if the writers didn't mess-up an essential part of Spider-man and turn him into a billionaire's protege who gets access to all his toys and fights people who were fucked over by him.  

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Guys, actors are going to say anything vague so that we can pick it apart. But it's really a non-answer. I mean, of course that tentacles will see some action. But context is everything and he provided zero context. 

He literally specifically said he's being digitally de aged because it's going back to the end of Spider-Man 2

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

He literally specifically said he's being digitally de aged because it's going back to the end of Spider-Man 2

Yes but he didn't specify what he was going to do there so fear of bad retconning is a bit premature. That's what I'm saying. They are going to pulls some twist like when Endgame went back to the past but that doesn't mean it has to ruin the character or whatever. I trust Feige. 

Edited by Valonqar

I may be minority here but bringing in characters from other iterations is just 😶

I was hoping for it to be just rumor and but now seems like it is certain. Hopefully they don't drop ball on it.

Also FUCK all these insiders who leaked stuff like this. Going blind in such event would have been much much better experience. I don't know why people don't regard such insider reports as spoilers and call the insiders out.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yes but he didn't specify what he was going to do there so fear of bad retconning is a bit premature. That's what I'm saying. They are going to pulls some twist like when Endgame went back to the past but that doesn't mean it has to ruin the character or whatever. I trust Feige. 

It's merely that every single piece of info we've heard about it does not sound promising what so ever. If he's indeed picked up from the very end of Spider-Man 2 and he's evil as Molina said, I just don't see how that can possibly be retconned into something that isn't significantly worse than his original ending. This is also the studio that completely ruined all that Thanos development and history in Infinity War so they could kill him off as a shock in Endgame - but also have him be in the final battle by just picking him up from years earlier, as if all that's needed is just the mere image of him, and not the version we came to know.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

If he's indeed picked up from the very end of Spider-Man 2 and he's evil as Molina said, I just don't see how that can possibly be retconned into something that isn't significantly worse than his original ending. 

Well is it a retcon coz Doc Ock only said he was not going to DIE a villain, he didn't say anything about not being a villain if he continued to LIVE. 😛

On a more serious note, I think Ock will still have sympathetic motivations. Maybe if someone promised to use time travel or the multiverse machine thingy to bring his wife back to life maybe? Similar to The Kingpin's motivations in Into the Spider-Verse.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Well is it a retcon coz Doc Ock only said he was not going to DIE a villain, he didn't say anything about not being a villain if he continued to LIVE. 😛

On a more serious note, I think Ock will still have sympathetic motivations. Maybe if someone promised to use time travel or the multiverse machine thingy to bring his wife back to life maybe? Similar to The Kingpin's motivations in Into the Spider-Verse.

Well a retcon doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it's still a retcon no matter how you look at it. But even with your serious note, I don't buy that Doc Ock, after all that growth and understanding that came from that final scene in Spider-Man 2 - would then join in on some multiverse badguy adventure because it might get his wife back. The whole scene and purpose of that ending is this line:

Intelligence is not a privilege, it's a gift. And you use it for the good of mankind.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I may be minority here but bringing in characters from other iterations is just 😶

I was hoping for it to be just rumor and but now seems like it is certain. Hopefully they don't drop ball on it.

I don't understand why this is a bad thing. It's kinda the whole point of the Spiderverse which has been a thing in just about every medium so far except live action.

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

I don't understand why this is a bad thing. It's kinda the whole point of the Spiderverse which has been a thing in just about every medium so far except live action.

Did this need to be a Spiderverse film in the first place? The cynical side of me is inclined to think they’re doing this because of the animated movie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Did this need to be a Spiderverse film in the first place? The cynical side of me is inclined to think they’re doing this because of the animated movie. 

I mean I don't see why not. They obviously are already getting into the multiverse with Doctor Strange and I'm assuming it'll be how the X-Men get brought in so now seems like right time to do Spiderverse.

Was going through MCU and realised how meh was FFH. Can we trust Jon Watts with Spiderverse and F4. I am really nervous that they might continue to be meh with some cool moment. 

For some critics really like his direction and I don't understand why.