Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

This is getting out of hand, I think.

Can you imagine if Tobey and Andrew really aren't in the movie and we get 3 Spider Men played by Tom Holland? The backlash would be unreal. It would be toxic for the movie's performance. 

Okay, let's play Devil's Advocate then.

Given how leaky this film has been, wouldn't one think that word would leak out that at least Andrew Garfield is in fact not in this film after all?

Secondly, while I realize this borders on Wine in Front of Me territory, shouldn't someone at Sony realize the IMMENSE potential for titanic backlash should one or both of them not be in it?  I do admit that many folks at Sony might think, any attention is great and we'll ride the tiger once the storm hits (to badly mix metaphors).  I would still think SOMEONE at Sony would start to get cold feet right about now and drop a note to ViewerAnon or RPK or someone else that, heeeeey, maybe this speculation is getting out of hand.  Better try to contain the fire ahead of time.

Now I know the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (or the opposite in this case).  Still... Tend to think some folks would recognize that they're playing with fire here by not squishing the rampant expectations here.

If Tobey and Andrew truly aren’t in the film… I genuinely wonder about the MCU. Coming off Eternals, NWH is supposed to “welcome back” fans with Easter eggs. But I think the backlash/disappointment would be overwhelming. And that goes without mentioning the potential of Dr. Strange’s messiness 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just think here: if Andrew Garfield is in it, what will he say when asked about it? He won't confirm, because that messes with the marketing plan. If he gives a non-answer, it's taken as a confirmation. He has to deny. So we cannot tell from his answers whether he is in it, because in both cases his optimal course of action is identical. 

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Just think here: if Andrew Garfield is in it, what will he say when asked about it? He won't confirm, because that messes with the marketing plan. If he gives a non-answer, it's taken as a confirmation. He has to deny. So we cannot tell from his answers whether he is in it, because in both cases his optimal course of action is identical. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't Tobey Maguire been far less coy/categorical in his denials?  Don't follow this movie religiously (or at all, really), but that's the vibe I've been getting.  If I'm wrong, then never mind then.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

He could have just said I am not in it and left it at that. This seems an emotional answer. I am not saying this means anything and I feel the 3 will be there but not sure for how much. if they were part of extensive shoots, we have seen tons of footage. Especially if there were any outdoor. That makes me think its all indoor green screen shots with a small crew to avoid leaks. After all this is Sony from where even most private information has leaked previously. No way they would have been able to keep extensive shootings under wraps. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't Tobey Maguire been far less coy/categorical in his denials?  Don't follow this movie religiously (or at all, really), but that's the vibe I've been getting.  If I'm wrong, then never mind then.

I haven't seen much from Maguire. Garfield gets the question more I think while promoting his movies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

He could have just said I am not in it and left it at that. This seems an emotional answer. I am not saying this means anything and I feel the 3 will be there but not sure for how much. if they were part of extensive shoots, we have seen tons of footage. Especially if there were any outdoor. That makes me think its all indoor green screen shots with a small crew to avoid leaks. After all this is Sony from where even most private information has leaked previously. No way they would have been able to keep extensive shootings under wraps. 

Okay then, but then let's spitball this.

What would be the reaction if Tobey Maguire is in the film but Andrew Garfield isn't (or is technically telling the truth by being in a post-credit scene or something like that)?

No clue myself, so I thought I'd ask the thread at large.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

What would be the reaction if Tobey Maguire is in the film but Andrew Garfield isn't (or is technically telling the truth by being in a post-credit scene or something like that)?

People are about Tobey, not Garfield. That said it's a pretty clear case of both or neither (but not neither).

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Neither in it - negative explosion around the film, makes TLJ look like a tempest in a teapot. 

Only Tobey - some grumblings, but Tobey is the more popular one so it won't be too bad

Both in it - the most critic-proof movie ever made

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I honestly feel like the "are they in this or not?" nature surrounding Maguire and Garfield has helped this movie's buzz a lot more than if their casting had been reported through the trades. Of course, as mentioned that could also blow up in their faces and result in immense fan backlash for feeling "conned" if there is no payoff, even with the presence of other people from the Sony Spider-Man movies.

The reason Marvel keep pretending like nothing and don’t show them in trailer is that they want you, the audience, to find the magic moment of three spider boys together by yourself in theaters instead of just telling you we have it so come and see. Because this strategy will make people realize the necessity of big screen experience. If the moment is available in whole internet because of trailer, it would make the movie less look like a big event worth to go theater.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Confirmation that Garfield definitely won't be part of the surprise tomorrow:

2 hours ago, Menor said:

negative explosion around the film, makes TLJ look like a tempest in a teapot

TBH I don't think MCU audience is really gonna do that. May be Spider-man get those 2000s fanboys but other than that MCU fanbase is generally very GA loaded, who just like these movies and stories.

Considering how the noise has been around the film since long, they are in it. I wish they weren't seriously.

But for funsies, it will really good thing if they aren't in it. Anyhow if the film is good, it won't really matter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

The reason Marvel keep pretending like nothing and don’t show them in trailer is that they want you, the audience, to find the magic moment of three spider boys together by yourself in theaters instead of just telling you we have it so come and see. Because this strategy will make people realize the necessity of big screen experience. If the moment is available in whole internet because of trailer, it would make the movie less look like a big event worth to go theater.

If they really are in it, hope Sony take notes from Disney. Show it, but don't show it.

TBH I will show them in tickets on sale now trailer, though why is this trailer released now. Just release on day of sales opening. Hollywood is dumb.

6934020-1350071844-giphy.gif

• Like 2