Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yikes. Last few pages are real gloomy.

1. The sales have not crashed or it is not Solo. They are holding really well but not Endgame level. That's it. Many folks were comparing EG day 1 sales and coming to conclusion it will/can be 300+, but we all knew that day 1 was sorta heavily hyped for sales.

2. That said, I do think it will be frontloaded. I am currently thinking ~210-230M OW off ~$50M previews. Full run may be $530-600M.

You know such a FLOP.:gold:

Would you say 50 million preview has over 50% chance of happening? I think a movie doing that amount in previews during these pandemic times is absolutely incredible. If the numbers are huge, this may snowball and maybe blunt the  frontloadedness some are seeing in the presales. People love to jump on the latest craze and there are some who will go to the movies just to see what all the hub-bub is about. 

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yikes. Last few pages are real gloomy.

1. The sales have not crashed or it is not Solo. They are holding really well but not Endgame level. That's it. Many folks were comparing EG day 1 sales and coming to conclusion it will/can be 300+, but we all knew that day 1 was sorta heavily hyped for sales.

2. That said, I do think it will be frontloaded. I am currently thinking ~210-230M OW off ~$50M previews. Full run may be $530-600M.

You know such a FLOP.:gold:

That OW IM would be lower than all Disney SW films. I just can't see it. The MCU is more GA friendly than SW even with a ton of hype. Maybe legs can be that short off of a huge opening, but not a OW IM that low. 

Edited by Multiverse of XXR
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I could see that low of an IM. The MCU films this year have been getting more frontloaded as of late and it depends on how much families return back in full force.

BW had a relatively low IM (still above 6) but it also had PA to deal with. Eternals and Shang-Chi did not have low IM’s (SC 8.5, Eternals 7.5).

6 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

BW had a relatively low IM (still above 6) but it also had PA to deal with. Eternals and Shang-Chi did not have low IM’s (SC 8.5, Eternals 7.5).

BUT, all of those had abnormally low preview numbers for an MCU film...I mean, it's one thing to get an 8IM on a low double digits preview...it's another thing to get than IM with previews triple that...

And as mentioned, the Thursday being a 3pm start, with many theaters holding Fridays' start to 1pm shows means Thursday is practically the same as a weekend day, which will also bump down IM...

As for me, I admit this has been my optimistic-all-year movie, BUT I'm not certain right not in my sky high optimism and have backed off what I think this movie can do...I still hope it goes as high or higher than I expected a few months ago, but I would not be surprised if the brain is right for the overall weekend and like Cap, I have currently fallen into the under $200M OW club and won't be leaving, even seeing these presales...Demos have to prove me wrong, and they haven't yet (in a major way) this fall...

It's the most uncertain about a movie I've been all fall, and you all know I've been pretty certain about a bunch of movies, even when I was against the board grain.  Today, you could tell me you see $140M or $280M for Spidey, and I'd nod my head and say "sure, that's possible"...about all I'm certain on is that it's over $100M and less than $300M, so maybe I need to pick one of those Deadline-type ranges and run with it...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I could see that low of an IM. The MCU films this year have been getting more frontloaded as of late and it depends on how much families return back in full force.

Don’t really buy this. The 3 films you’re talking about were:

PA

Solid IM

worst in franchise reception and still 7.5