Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

How am I the immature one, and not the snobs mad at people having fun at the movies?

Simple: you have everything you ever wanted. The MCU is the biggest movie franchise in history. These movies are well-regarded by the majority of critics. They are giant moneymakers for several top executives. They have a massive fandom of millions across the world. They are the dominant force in the current film industry, oftentimes to the detriment of other films on the market.

So despite all the win your franchise has, the idea of somebody giving a mild critique is just too far? You have to go on about how the world is out to get you for one article or one mean tweet? You have to go on about how hilarious the other side is for disliking movies everybody else already loves and to go after the dissenting voices?

And going into the "let people enjoy things", what I find very interesting, at least in regards to Marvel, is that no less than 10 years ago, everybody and their grandma loved to dunk on Transformers or Twilight. They were all super popular, some of the biggest franchises out there, and people on YouTube and Twitter and the like loved to mock those movies, their formulas, and even the people who liked them. Yet those fans barely made a peep, nor did they feel they have to defend those movies to their dying breath. Or at least, I never really saw this kind of stuff. I'm sure I missed diehard Bay or Meyer stans trying to do everything to go after the endless thinkpieces for being "fun-haters".

Yet now, Marvel is somehow out of bounds? That people are out to get them? That they're above criticism, and everybody making fun of them have no life? That because people enjoy them, that means they're off-limits? Interesting.

All I'm saying is that nobody's really getting hurt by the articles and tweets you're going after, nor do they impact your enjoyment, so why can't you just ignore it? And for the record, this isn't something I've seen from Marvel fans exclusively. Joker stans were doing the same thing two years ago, Star Wars fans did this a couple years ago too. It's more of an Internet-wide thing than anything else that's sprouted up over the last few years.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's so funny that without one little curse word, this movie would be PG.

Or G if it was the 1970s lol

The new Matrix would've easily been PG13 if it wasn't for the whole pandemic release. Iirc the live action Mulan was rated PG13 on a technicality and they never bothered to change it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

For starters, framing their complaint as "mad at people for having fun".

Is it somehow inaccurate? Do people go to comedies or horror movies and try to shush people laughing or being scared?

The Marvel vs Scorsese/Film Twitter/Cinephile shit would have died years ago, but it's not the Marvel side that's been unrelenting, it's the constant stream of Oscar campaign hot takes.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Eric Smith said:

All I'm saying is that nobody's really getting hurt by the articles and tweets you're going after, nor do they impact your enjoyment, so why can't you just ignore it?

And for the record, this isn't something I've seen from Marvel fans exclusively. Joker stans were doing the same thing two years ago, Star Wars fans did this a couple years ago too. It's more of an Internet-wide thing than anything else that's sprouted up over the last few years.

Come on now, we both know that's horseshit. How am I supposed to ignore it when every other director in every other interview won't shut up about it? Ridley Scott wasn't even asked about it, these guys go out of their way to paint superhero and Marvel fans (and specifically for superhero movies, not Star Wars or Indiana Jones or God forbid someone criticize The Matrix movies) as being the ones ruining cinema for liking big budget "lowbrow" fare.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Is it somehow inaccurate? Do people go to comedies or horror movies and try to shush people laughing or being scared?

The Marvel vs Scorsese/Film Twitter/Cinephile shit would have died years ago, but it's not the Marvel side that's been unrelenting, it's the constant stream of Oscar campaign hot takes.

Aren't you the dude who made Eternals over Dune/Eternals over Last Duel and House of Gucci clubs solely because their directors said mean things about movies you like? Don't act like you, or your side is clean here.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Come on now, we both know that's horseshit. How am I supposed to ignore it when every other director in every other interview won't shut up about it? Ridley Scott wasn't even asked about it, these guys go out of their way to paint superhero and Marvel fans (and specifically for superhero movies, not Star Wars or Indiana Jones or God forbid someone criticize The Matrix movies) as being the ones ruining cinema for liking big budget "lowbrow" fare.

You want to know why directors get asked this stuff? Because they know it'll get easy outrage clicks from Marvel fans. They know it's an easy headline that can get Marvel fans into a hissy fit and put their articles in the conversation. They know the second that a director says anything even mildly negative about Marvel, despite the love and showering they get on a daily basis, they will moan and complain about how the world is coming to an end and that they're being persecuted for liking a movie (hint: you're not). And the beautiful thing about all this is that you are not being forced to respond to this stuff. You are not being forced by somebody at gunpoint to read or respond to those articles. The world will not blow up if you don't complain about how Denis is a pretentious hack who hates fun. You are able to ignore it and move on to the rest of your day. Except you don't.

It's like clickbait: the only reason websites use clickbait is because that's the only thing people click on. The only way to stop clickbait is to not click on it. So how about you be a better consumer and ignore that stuff? Because sure enough, those headlines and statements will magically go away.

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

32 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

The world will not blow up if you don't complain about how Denis is a pretentious hack who hates fun. You are able to ignore it and move on to the rest of your day. Except you don't.

The world equally won't implode if elitist snobs don't constantly shit talk Marvel fans at every turn, but that doesn't seem to stop them either.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The world equally won't implode if elitist snobs don't constantly shit talk Marvel fans at every turn, but that doesn't seem to stop them either.

But why even care in the first place? You complain about all the directors and people not liking MCU stuff when they wouldn’t be as big, If you don’t give them oxygen to takes you don’t like then these fandom fires wouldn’t happen. 

Edited by YourMother

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Equally, not all who dislike Marvel movies are "elitist snobs," you know...  There is nuance.  But Twitter just makes everything seem like divides...because it runs on "hot takes."  

This is boring conversation. It was a boring conversation when Marty wrote the article all those years ago. It was a boring conversation when Tom Holland brought it up again after months of peace. I normally don’t really care what people talk about as long as they’re not calling each other names, but honestly. Honestly. Can we find another conversation? Haven’t we exhausted this?

• Like 5

It's not that deep, the specific type of Film Twitter being discussed is just snobbish in sometimes pretty entertaining ways. I often see plenty of vindictive stuff from them against people who like the MCU so why shouldn't it go both ways? And I will say this for stuff like Transformers/Twilight and anything else too, if people give you shit about what you like then it's your right to give it back.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

:apocalypse:

disbelief

3 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

Dude, you know you can just ignore this stuff right? Nobody's forcing you to read this stuff. Marvel's not gonna suddenly bomb because people are being a little mean to movies you like. You're mature enough to handle stuff you like, especially stuff that is too big to fail and made by people richer than you will ever be, getting dogged on by other people. Who cares? Get over it.

What it's stopping you from ignoring him as well?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

People should just ignore Film Twitter (if you want to be pedantic about how actually most people who discuss films on Twitter like Marvel, when you know very well that Film Twitter is shorthand for Elitist Film Twitter, then fine, I will be explicit — I mean Elitist Film Twitter) attacks on Marvel more. In this, Eric is right.   

But people should also ignore marvel fan counterattacks on Film Twitter more — in this, Eric is wrong.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

Simple: you have everything you ever wanted. The MCU is the biggest movie franchise in history. These movies are well-regarded by the majority of critics. They are giant moneymakers for several top executives. They have a massive fandom of millions across the world. They are the dominant force in the current film industry, oftentimes to the detriment of other films on the market.

So despite all the win your franchise has, the idea of somebody giving a mild critique is just too far? You have to go on about how the world is out to get you for one article or one mean tweet? You have to go on about how hilarious the other side is for disliking movies everybody else already loves and to go after the dissenting voices?

And going into the "let people enjoy things", what I find very interesting, at least in regards to Marvel, is that no less than 10 years ago, everybody and their grandma loved to dunk on Transformers or Twilight. They were all super popular, some of the biggest franchises out there, and people on YouTube and Twitter and the like loved to mock those movies, their formulas, and even the people who liked them. Yet those fans barely made a peep, nor did they feel they have to defend those movies to their dying breath. Or at least, I never really saw this kind of stuff. I'm sure I missed diehard Bay or Meyer stans trying to do everything to go after the endless thinkpieces for being "fun-haters".

Yet now, Marvel is somehow out of bounds? That people are out to get them? That they're above criticism, and everybody making fun of them have no life? That because people enjoy them, that means they're off-limits? Interesting.

All I'm saying is that nobody's really getting hurt by the articles and tweets you're going after, nor do they impact your enjoyment, so why can't you just ignore it? And for the record, this isn't something I've seen from Marvel fans exclusively. Joker stans were doing the same thing two years ago, Star Wars fans did this a couple years ago too. It's more of an Internet-wide thing than anything else that's sprouted up over the last few years.

Wow, who knew movies based off characters originally created to amuse 8 year olds a half century ago would work up people in this thread?

NWH ain’t getting BP nod.* Fair or not, that’s a fact. Let’s instead pool our resources to support say Green Knight or whatever is the current favorite of filmt- err I mean “the online cinephile community.” Thats more productive.

*=Isn’t it funny how Emmys don’t have a bug up their butt over what they nominate? Look at some of their major nominees in their last ceremony: Wandavision, Mandalorian, The Bots, etc. #Food4Thought