Eric Atreides

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Who will cut the VFX into the movie?

Who will edit the sound effects for the VFX?

Who will mix the sound?

Who will master the DCPs for the theaters?

Who will cut and conform the negative and strike any prints (if there’s going to be any film prints)?

they can have unfinished sound effects and people would still keep watching, I don't see the big deal as long as the audience can still understand what's happening 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

they can have unfinished sound effects and people would still keep watching, I don't see the big deal as long as the audience can still understand what's happening 

Assuming people would be happy watching something with unmixed sound and in some spots, previz animation, how do you make the file to send to the theaters? The animators don’t do that, the VFX people don’t do it, and even a team of scab editors wouldn’t necessarily have the experience to master things in order to show even an incomplete project. 

These are highly specialized jobs. Anyone who crosses the picket line as a scab basically writes off the rest of their career in terms of any union job — not that there isn’t non-union work around, but this is a small town and word gets around. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Assuming people would be happy watching something with unmixed sound and in some spots, previz animation, how do you make the file to send to the theaters? The animators don’t do that, the VFX people don’t do it, and even a team of scab editors wouldn’t necessarily have the experience to master things in order to show even an incomplete project. 

These are highly specialized jobs. Anyone who crosses the picket line as a scab basically writes off the rest of their career in terms of any union job — not that there isn’t non-union work around, but this is a small town and word gets around. 

how likely is that Sony have their Japanese, Indian divisions handle it?

or other studios outsourcing to Asia because there's almost bigger industries sitting there. 

8 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

how likely is that Sony have their Japanese, Indian divisions handle it?

or other studios outsourcing to Asia because there's almost bigger industries sitting there. 

Seems very unlikely and logistically a nightmare. Will the divisions even want to be involved with the news of all this mistreatment? It's morally queasy

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Seems very unlikely and logistically a nightmare. Will the divisions even want to be involved with the news of all this mistreatment? It's morally queasy

I mean Indian VFx studios are anyways working on these films. Should be totally doable if they will to do so.

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Morally queasy doesn’t usually serve to stop people from making money. But I agree with significant logistical issues. 

Moderation:

Hey y’all. I know this might be disappointing for some, and I understand that we are literally and figuratively in the bargaining stage right now. But it is very very likely that there is going to be a strike on Monday, and it is very very likely this movie is getting pushed.

Thus, That is not a discussion which has been exhausted. It’s going to be an ongoing discussion for a couple weeks. If you have no interest in that, then I suggest you talk about something else. If you want to talk specifics of the strike, we have a strike thread pinned at the top of the box office forum. 

In the meantime, I would leave here with two things.

The first is that I forever and always will believe in the sacred words of Mel Brooks. “Hope for the best, expect the worst. Some drink champagne, some die of thirst. We have no way of knowing which way it’s going, hope for the best, expect the worst.”

The second is that, I think a pretty interesting discussion right now is what will this movie look like when it premieres in February. Or do they hold off and push it all the way back to May?

3… 2… 1… go!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Feel like people complaining about talking too much about this are the same people who complained about talking too much about COVID at its early stages even when it became clear there would be a big impact.

I don’t think so. With covid there were always new developments and numbers to analyze with regards to impact. My problem with this thread has been that it was just people repeating ad nausuem “probably a strike, probably a delay.” While that is obviously highly newsworthy it’s not like the 10th such comment has much marginal value.    

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Cap said:

Moderation:

Hey y’all. I know this might be disappointing for some, and I understand that we are literally and figuratively in the bargaining stage right now. But it is very very likely that there is going to be a strike on Monday, and it is very very likely this movie is getting pushed.

Thus, That is not a discussion which has been exhausted. It’s going to be an ongoing discussion for a couple weeks. If you have no interest in that, then I suggest you talk about something else. If you want to talk specifics of the strike, we have a strike thread pinned at the top of the box office forum. 

In the meantime, I would leave here with two things.

The first is that I forever and always will believe in the sacred words of Mel Brooks. “Hope for the best, expect the worst. Some drink champagne, some dive thirst. We have no way of knowing which way it’s going, hope for the best, expect the worst.”

The second is that, I think a pretty interesting discussion right now is what will this movie look like when it premieres in February. Or do they hold off and push it all the way back to May?

3… 2… 1… go!

If happens i bet they will put it on DS2 date and Strange on May.

The Feb date that was occupied earlier in various iterations of the schedule is just sitting there. So is the morbius date I guess. I think keeping DS2 where it is and moving NWH by a month or two could make it a very powerful one-two punch — but it could also make marketing for DS2 tough.    

Can always try NWH Feb/March, DS2 May, Thor July, BP2 Labor Day.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Guess I’ll get my 5 2022 movies after all :Venom:

This is the spirit, folks. The silver lining. 🤪

My hot take?

I also feel that Sony should test the theory that trailer views correlate with opening box office. I don’t think they need to hold the movie. The trailer views are huge. The excitement on Twitter and all of those social spears is massive. If anything the headlines that the movies being delayed, are going to be just as impactful as a second trailer giving you a release date. Awareness for the film is going to be high.

Release it as soon as you can, and stop paying interest on the loans. So whether that’s like January 1 or February 8 or March 20, just released the damn movie as soon as you can. The audience will find it. (With obviously the exception of like don’t releasing on the Super Bowl weekend. There is some logic here. Lolol)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

Does this movie have a storied production history or what? Sony/MCU breakup, covid, strike… maybe the universe is trying to tell us something 👀

That they should’ve cast Miles Morales and live action? 👀

Just now, Cap said:

With obviously the exception of like don’t releasing on the Super Bowl weekend. There is some logic here. Lolol)

Now I really want them to just go head-to-head with the SB for kicks. We could pancake the Hannah Montana record even worse than Rob Zombie Halloween ;)